Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #61
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^I don't really have a problem with biographies and autobiographies, but I probably wouldn't support them (although I have a friend that swears by Phil Jackson's and if you knew her you'd be interested in reading it.)

If GA Russell agrees to name their category Sports (and have it include both fiction and non-fiction) then I think we have three in support. That would be my fourth nomination if ccowie and GA Russell agree.
I'm in.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #62
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think it should either be this one or classics, but not both because then we'd basically have two months of classics and that would be a waste of a good month.
Except that there are many, many books in the Patricia Clarke Memorial Library that aren't classics (being old is not sufficient for qualifying as a classic) and there are many classics that don't fall under the Life + 75 rubric.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #63
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I am happy to go along with Sports, however that might be defined, as long as it includes histories.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #64
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think we have a consensus with GA Russell's suggestion of Sports with it covering both fiction and non-fiction (including biographies and histories.)

And just to keep things straight: nominated by ccowie, seconded by GA Russell and thirded by HomeInMyShoes
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #65
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I would like to nominate *Sequential Art.

*Examples of sequential art are comics, graphic novels, and manga.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 07:13 PM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I would like to nominate *Sequential Art.

*Examples of sequential art are comics, graphic novels, and manga.
Seconded.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #67
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Except that there are many, many books in the Patricia Clarke Memorial Library that aren't classics (being old is not sufficient for qualifying as a classic) and there are many classics that don't fall under the Life + 75 rubric.
Agreed. Is "The Old Man and the Sea" a classic? Certainly. But it's not in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library. OTOH, there are many books in the PCML that don't qualify as classics but that are certainly worth a read.

I'll second or third the PCML. (And Jon - reading a good book, wherever it comes from, is never a waste. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #68
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think we have a consensus with GA Russell's suggestion of Sports with it covering both fiction and non-fiction (including biographies and histories.)

And just to keep things straight: nominated by ccowie, seconded by GA Russell and thirded by HomeInMyShoes
Glad to see this category - lots of good sports fiction and non-fiction out there
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #69
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'd like to second Fan Fiction (I know theres a lot of dross in that category but some of it is surprisingly good) and Short Stories. No other nominations, seconds or thirds at this time. Most of my choices are already well covered.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #70
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Pandathepanda, what are your thoughts on the inspirational categories? Were you going for Christian-themed or just any inspiring books? If we can come to an agreement on the parameters we could combine our two nominations...

(the categories are as is for now though, if anyone wants to second or third- who doesn't love a good inspiring story? )

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-04-2015 at 11:00 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #71
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Pandathepanda, what are your thoughts on the inspirational categories? or just any inspiring books?
Just any Inspiring book
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:34 AM   #72
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
Just any Inspiring book
We can combine ours then. It's not a must but I'd like to include non-fiction stories too because there are some good ones out there and so just call the category something like "Inspirational" or "Inspirational Stories"*. I leave it up to you and will merge my nomination to be a second to yours whichever way.

*I only include "stories" in the title as a way to exclude things like inspirational self-help books but there probably wouldn't be many nominations like that anyway.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-05-2015 at 01:58 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:06 AM   #73
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will third Sequential Art.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:23 AM   #74
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I suspect (and of course I might be wrong) that any category which is split (such as fiction and non-fiction) will not be elected to the final 10 because the votes of its supporters will also be split.

I therefore humbly suggest that if someone is keen for a particular type, he try to merge it with a category already nominated, if possible.

If not possible, he can nominate now his expanded category, and we can decide next week whether we prefer the narrow nomination or the expanded one.

If a category is thus expanded, when the time comes to nominate a book next year, the voters will have the opportunity to express their delight or lack of interest.

This is all to say that I don't think that now is the time to eliminate books from consideration because of categories which are very narrowly defined.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:31 AM   #75
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
We can combine ours then. It's not a must but I'd like to include non-fiction stories too because there are some good ones out there and so just call the category something like "Inspirational" or "Inspirational Stories"*. I leave it up to you and will merge my nomination to be a second to yours whichever way.

*I only include "stories" in the title as a way to exclude things like inspirational self-help books but there probably wouldn't be many nominations like that anyway.
I have combined Inspirational fiction (PandathePanda, kyteflyer) and Inspirational Stories [nonreligious] (sun surfer) under the combined heading Inspirational Stories (PandathePanda, kyteflyer, sun surfer).
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote