Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
arsingh1
Nameless Being

Does a layer of touch screen affect the readability

Hi,
Does a layer of touch screen affect the contrast and readability in non-lighted e-readers.
To be specific a comparison between the readability and contrast of Kobo touch (non lighted ) vs Kindle Basic (non-touch and non lighted)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Should not be an issue. These days most electronics are touch screen..
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
My Kindle Touch is just as readable as my friend's Kindle Keyboard...

Lighted frontlit screens however bother certain people who find that the text seems to float under a layer of light as if seen through a window... or something like that.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:39 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Capacitive touch has an extra layer, but the Kobo Touch uses infra-red which has no extra layers on the screen.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
It's be best to compare specific models/screens. All things being equal, adding a layer of anything on top of an image alters the light passing through the layer.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Capacitive touch has an extra layer, but the Kobo Touch uses infra-red which has no extra layers on the screen.
Although there might end up being a layer of fingerprints.

All the touchscreen eInk readers are infrared, aren't they? It typically just means a deeper bezel.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
All the touchscreen eInk readers are infrared, aren't they? It typically just means a deeper bezel.
Yes, except for the ones which aren't.

Kindle PW 1/2 is capacitive Touch, and I believe the Kobo Aura. Don't know the status of any other non-Amazon devices.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
No, they seemed to have worked out how to do it without affecting text quality. That is probably not so true of a lighted screen...
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
It's be best to compare specific models/screens. All things being equal, adding a layer of anything on top of an image alters the light passing through the layer.
I have a Sony PRS-600 touch screen reader (with a non-lighted reflective screen), and the screen is noticeably less dark and less sharp than my previous Sony e-readers and my current Kobo Touch.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I have a Sony PRS-600 touch screen reader (with a non-lighted reflective screen), and the screen is noticeably less dark and less sharp than my previous Sony e-readers and my current Kobo Touch.
To be fair, the PRS-600 is five-year-old technology; today's lighted screens (like the Paperwhite 2) are much better. Yes, there is still a layer over the screen and yes, a few people are bothered by it. OP: if you go to a Best Buy, you can see the Paperwhite screen for yourself (oops, I didn't check if you are in the US or not) and at least check if the text looks clear to you or not. They may or may not have some non-lighted models in the store for comparison.

eP

[edit] I see the OP is not in the US. Well I would say that most people (including myself) are not bothered by the light layer and find the text dark and clear enough. I have heard that the text on the Kindle Basic looks a touch darker.

Last edited by elemenoP; 04-30-2014 at 08:29 AM.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
To be fair, the PRS-600 is five-year-old technology; today's lighted screens (like the Paperwhite 2) are much better. Yes, there is still a layer over the screen and yes, a few people are bothered by it. OP: if you go to a Best Buy, you can see the Paperwhite screen for yourself (oops, I didn't check if you are in the US or not) and at least check if the text looks clear to you or not. They may or may not have some non-lighted models in the store for comparison.

eP

[edit] I see the OP is not in the US. Well I would say that most people (including myself) are not bothered by the light layer and find the text dark and clear enough. I have heard that the text on the Kindle Basic looks a touch darker.

The pw2 uses the newer carta screen which is supposed to have 25% better contrast. That the Basic's text looks darker tells you the light/touch layer has an impact.

So to answer the OP's question: yes. How much exactly is hard to say since there isn't a comparable carta reader without touch or light layer.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Some of it is what you get used to.

I could read just fine on my PRS-600 an preferred it to a tablet.

I bought my mother a kindle 3 when they came out and found the screen to be much superior, but after going back to the PRS 600 I quickly became accustomed to it again and preferred it to the kindle because of ease of use and collection convenience etc.

Now I have a T3 and an Aura HD. The Aura HD may have a slight edge screen-wise, but the inconsistent page turning (skipping, backwards instead of forwards etc.) , flashing page refreshes, abysmal speed in opening collections and other wee quirks are an irritation I don't need when reading for relaxation.

The only complaint I have about the T3 is that it doesn't have a global text options like the Kobos. That option would make it pretty close to perfect for me.

I don't like reading with tablets, but I guess I could if I had to, just as I occasionally read with the Aura HD when my mother visits and leaves her kindle behind. (She is 88 and tells me the T3 is "A dear little reader" and pets it when she closes the cover so I know what to get her for her upcoming 89th birthday)

Overall it is pretty subjective which screen is better. I get used to a change going from a 24 inch monitor to a 15 inch laptop screen in a day or so , and with an ereader the transition time is usually measured in minutes.

A good screen is important, but IMO the best screen is not necessarily the best reader.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
No, they seemed to have worked out how to do it without affecting text quality. That is probably not so true of a lighted screen...
I use a Kindle PaperWhite 1 and have had no problems with readability (with my screen lit up).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The capacitive touchscreen is a VERY thin (molecules thick) layer of a chemical which just makes the screen conductive. It has no visible impact on readability.

The light guides used on illuminated readers have a slight impact on readability in bright sunlight, but (IMHO) that's enormously more than compensated for my the tremendous improvement in readability that the light brings in any poorer lighting conditions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote