Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!
momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini
Talking Newbie eReader (Sony 505) owner

and so excited about it!

I've never had an eReader, and have a HUGE overgrown collection of books (which I hope to replace in e-form, cull, and not add to, in paper form.) I am a widow, retired, have 2 dogs (dachshund and Papillion) and 1 cat (of the cat variety.) Besides books and pets, I collect pewter figurines, angels, anything Eeyore, beads*, and containers (to put my collections in or on.)
*my sister and I plan to make jewelry and sell it, but so far, I've just been collecting and sorting beads (LOTS of beads.)

I will admit, I have not yet downloaded any books. I've been busy 'reading up' on all the how to's, hints, and cautions.

I considered the Kindle 2 (being a long-time Amazon shopper) and the Sony 505. They seemed the most reasonable in cost. My nephew has the Sony, so I was able to hold that one, and liked it; but, I chose it mainly because of the ability to use SD cards. I am a bit obsessive compulsive about sorting things (pretty much anything ), and liked the idea of being able to have separate cards for my favorite author's collections, or genre.

I have a few beginner questions:
  1. What is the best format in ebooks to use with the Sony 505?
  2. What can't I use?
  3. Can I use .lit files?
  4. Are .txt files hard to read?
  5. I've seen comments about problems with .pdf format and the Sony. What's that all about?
  6. What is the deal with having to convert files for the Sony eReader?
  7. Where is/are the best sites for obtaining books (cheap)?
  8. What concerns should I have about 'free ebook' sites my nephew has told me about?

Thanks so much for your patience and help!
momtodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Welcome! You will soon be addicted to your Sony reader like I am; that is as soon as you soak up everything on this website.

I love your dogs, both breeds are so cute. Boys or girls?

I am only a 2 week new Sony PRS-505 owner. I too am trying to figure out what formats to use. Also what is the deal with .pdf format????

Look to your local library for Overdrive books, they are free, last 3 weeks. Great finds there. Free books are here too, they are older books that are copyright expired.

Have fun!

Last edited by new; 07-04-2009 at 12:46 AM.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I use a txt format books and they look great.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!
momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini
New - my pups are girls, Pepper (5) and Nutmeg (8). I call them my Spice Girls. I used to have a Sugar, and my sister has Ginger. The cat is Chloe (2), and she named herself .... somehow.

Thanks for the info about the library. The problem is, I tend to stockpile books, and don't always read them right away. I'll keep that in mind for when I am looking for a specific book to read NOW!

Ervserver - good to know about .txt books. I was a bit worried. I read somewhere that the text was tiny.

Thanks for your input.
momtodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi momtodogs and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 for over a year and a half and really like it. Here are some thoughts:
    Sony can handle .lrf which is their proprietary format and ePub which is the emerging industry standard. Also Word and PDFs
  2. What can't I use?:
    Unless you convert them, the Sony can't read most other formats
  3. I've seen comments about problems with .pdf format and the Sony. What's that all about?
    PDF which you read through Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) does not work very well on the Sony. The default text size is VERY small and, if you enlarge it, it does not reflow well. For example, it can run dialogue together making it difficult to determine which character is talking. It's not unreadable but nowhere near as easy to follow as .lrf or ePub
  4. What is the deal with having to convert files for the Sony eReader?from other formats to ePub or .lrf for the Sony
    You can use Calibre (free software on this site) to convert books unless they are DRM protected.
  5. Where is/are the best sites for obtaining books (cheap)?
    Check out the WIKI at the top of the page for a list of eBook stores. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

Last edited by MickeyC; 07-04-2009 at 08:02 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello momtodogs, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome puppy.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	31631 to Mobileread.

I've had a Sony 505 for quite awhile and really like it. Congrats on your new toy.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The free books here are the necest because they are specially formatted for the sony and there are a lot of them! I also get free books off feedbooks, and manybooks (but Feedbooks ones look nicer). I buy from Fictionwise; their multiformat titles can be downloaded in LRF and their secure titles can be converted if you are not opposed to cracking the DRM.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, momtodogs!

I have a Sony 700 and absolutely love it. Since cassidym answered your questions, I'll just tell you that there is more to MR than just ereading! If you like to be a little silly or discuss other topics not related to ereading, check out the Lounge, but be warned. It can be VERY addictive.

Happy reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtodogs View Post
New - my pups are girls, Pepper (5) and Nutmeg (8). I call them my Spice Girls. I used to have a Sugar, and my sister has Ginger. The cat is Chloe (2), and she named herself .... somehow.

Thanks for the info about the library. The problem is, I tend to stockpile books, and don't always read them right away. I'll keep that in mind for when I am looking for a specific book to read NOW!

Ervserver - good to know about .txt books. I was a bit worried. I read somewhere that the text was tiny.

Thanks for your input.
I love those dog names!

Start collecting those .lrf books right here on the column "Ebooks" they are formatted nicely by people here. I started with F. Scott Fitzgerald, I never read his work before.

Enjoy!
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtodogs View Post
  2. What can't I use?
  3. Can I use .lit files?
  4. Are .txt files hard to read?
  5. I've seen comments about problems with .pdf format and the Sony. What's that all about?
  6. What is the deal with having to convert files for the Sony eReader?
  7. Where is/are the best sites for obtaining books (cheap)?
  8. What concerns should I have about 'free ebook' sites my nephew has told me about?
1) LRF, very likely; the problem is that you can't easily convert from LRF to other formats, so a lot of people prefer ePub.

2-3) Can't use mobi/prc or lit, but Calibre will convert them nicely.
Also can't use .rb, .pdb (neither palmDOC nor eReader), .fb2, various Palm-OS focused types, nor the seven zillion small proprietary ebook types.

4) TXT files are easy to read; the only drawback is lack of formatting--bold, italics, table of contents, and so on. If you're reading straight text, .txt is an elegant format.

5) Most PDFs are not made for 6" screens, so they show up with a lot of useless white space, and tiny text. The Reader has a reflow, but how well it works depends on how well the PDF is made, and even if it's made perfectly, the reflow tends to run short lines of text together (poetry, short dialogue) into a single paragraph.

6) Any ebook that's not in .epub, .pdf, .lrf, .txt, or .rtf will need to be converted first. Fortunately, there are free document conversion programs; Calibre outshines the others as being the most versatile & useful.

7-8) The Mobileread wiki has a great list of *legit* free ebook sites. There are plenty of non-legit free ebook sites. Telling the difference can be a bit troublesome, but you can be sure that if it offers for free books that cost serious money at booksonboard.com or fictionwise.com (like the Tolkein books), they're not legit; if they offer ebooks that don't exist elsewhere at all (like the Harry Potter books), they're also not legit. If there's no convenient "CONTACT US" spot, that's a warning sign.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #11
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
It looks like you got your questions answered, but welcome to MobileRead!
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi momtodogs welcomne to mobileread
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
format questions