Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-16-2023, 10:46 AM   #1
agentmick
agentmick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Arrow I can't figure out the Format column.

Hey all, sorry if this question has been answered already - I've looked all over but haven't been able to find something dumbed down enough to meet my needs

I have over 400 ebooks in my calibre library, and I've decided to start adding "empty" entries for my physical and audiobooks as well, so I can see my whole library at a glance. I'd like to add the format column to the main page so I can tell if the book is indeed an ebook and in what format I have it.

I have not yet added any books other than ebooks to my calibre library, but the format column is still empty for most. When I attempt to edit the metadata and input the format, calibre opens a file explorer window and asks me to open... something. What is it I'm trying to open here that will provide the correct format information to the format column?

As you can tell, I'm by no means a power-user, but calibre is such a useful tool I'd love to get more familiar with how it works. If anyone has advice on this or other neat sorting/storing non-ebook ideas, I'd love to hear them.
agentmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 04:53 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentmick View Post
Hey all, sorry if this question has been answered already - I've looked all over but haven't been able to find something dumbed down enough to meet my needs

I have over 400 ebooks in my calibre library, and I've decided to start adding "empty" entries for my physical and audiobooks as well, so I can see my whole library at a glance. I'd like to add the format column to the main page so I can tell if the book is indeed an ebook and in what format I have it.

I have not yet added any books other than ebooks to my calibre library, but the format column is still empty for most.
How are you adding the e-books to the library that have no format files? The 'normal' methods to add an e-book to a library is via adding a format file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentmick View Post
When I attempt to edit the metadata and input the format, calibre opens a file explorer window and asks me to open... something. What is it I'm trying to open here that will provide the correct format information to the format column?
The Add button in metadata edit is typically used to add an additional format to an existing book -- so, you need to browse to and select the file you want to Add to the book - e.g. let's say you have already created an entry for Wind in the Willows in your library by Adding an EPUB, and now you want to add a Wind in the Willows CBZ comic format file.

IMO: the simplest way to add a format file to an existing book is to drag/drop it into the book details panel (the left sidebar) and confirm you want to add it.

Drag/drop is also easier of you want to add a non-ebook file. Example: to create a library entry for a paper book you could drag/drop a file called 'dummy.paper' into the book list and then edit the Title and Author via F2. Aside: rather than drag/drop I use Windows File Explorer->Send to->calibre.exe.

I do something similar for Audio books, Example if there's only one audio file I Send the audio file (e.g. MP3) to calibre which creates the book with an MP3 format.

If there are multiple audio files I do the following:
  • create a paper book as above - as place holder;
  • edit the title and author in the book list;
  • open the book's data folder (for me that's Alt+O);
  • copy the audio files into the data folder;
  • create a playlist for those files;
  • add that playlist file (e.g. M3U) to the book (I do a copy in File Explorer followed by a paste in Calibre);
  • delete the .PAPER format.
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-16-2023 at 11:05 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2023, 05:03 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Instead of adding a format column, you could colour code your entries. See image...

Attachment 193986
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:44 PM   #4
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
I have a personal column for Audio formats as seen in image 1
With this in Template
program:cmp(count(template('[[format]]'), ','), 1, 'no', in_list(template('[[format]]'), ',', 'Ogg', 'Yes', 'no', ',', 'M3u', 'Yes', 'no', ',', 'M4a', 'Yes', 'no', ',', 'Mp3', 'Yes', 'no'), 'no')

And for paper book formats a column as seen in image 2
With this code in Template
program:
my_formats = 'pdf,mobi,azw3,azw,cbr,cbz,m4b,epub,fb2';
if list_intersection(lowercase($formats), my_formats, ',') then
'no'
else
'Yes'
fi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	41
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	203792   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	38
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	203793   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	203794  

Last edited by dunhill; 09-16-2023 at 10:54 PM.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 11:29 PM   #5
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
I'm using this template language function in order to have a sortable Formats column:
Code:
{:'re(approximate_formats(), ',', ', ')'}
as documented here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...ximate-formats

Name:	MWSnap 2023-09-17, 00_07_22.png
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	203795

For empty entries (no electronic formats), I'm adding a dummy MD format:

Name:	MWSnap 2023-09-17, 00_23_43.png
Views:	37
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	203796
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2023, 12:15 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In recent versions of calibre, Formats can be shown in the Book list without use of the approximate-formats template function in a custom column. It can't be changed of course other than by adding or removing a format file.

AFAICT is was introduced in version 6.?? - i.e. it's not present in version 5.44

BR
Old 09-17-2023, 12:43 AM   #7
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
In recent versions of calibre, Formats can be shown in the Book list without use of the approximate-formats template function in a custom column. It can't be changed of course other than by adding or removing a format file.

AFAICT is was introduced in version 6.?? - i.e. it's not present in version 5.44

BR
oh well, in fact I just noticed that the out-of-the-box Formats column, which I had hidden in my setup, can be sorted. Then I might delete the custom one for performance, I'll think about it, thanks!

edit: I think I can't delete my custom Formats column (the one with the template function) because it makes it easier to filter formats from the Book Details pane...

Last edited by Comfy.n; 09-17-2023 at 12:56 AM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:56 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Comfy.n - my reply wasn't a direct response to your post.

After re-reading the opening post, I realised the originator might have been referring to something I hadn't noticed until today - a built in Formats/formats column. I should have noticed it sooner - from its presence in the L&F->Book details lists.

BR
Old 09-17-2023, 11:23 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I simply use VL's (Virtual Libraries) for this. No custom columns (for that) needed.

No Formats (VL)
Code:
(formats:false and not #master:LNK)
#master is where I log the original start. LNK is what I log when I used EPUBSPLIT to make that
I have VL's for: Have Read and To Read (/ Reading) (the filter is #done (a date)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 07:15 PM   #10
Bradles
Connoisseur
Bradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmos

Device: Apple Books & Kobo Libra H20
I don't belive you can edit the Format field, as it automatically displays the formats you have. The button you are clicking is presumably trying to select an ebook file.

I use a custom column that displays a comma-separated list of formats or <NONE> if there are none.

{formats:ifempty(<NONE>)}

See attachments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	45
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	203862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot2.png
Views:	41
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	203864