Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2023, 01:52 AM   #1
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Is there a way to fix this font?

I have this Hebrew otf font I'm kinda partial to but there's a problem with how it renders some Hebrew punctuation marks. All(!) my side-loaded Hebrew fonts demonstrate a similar problem, the only font that renders correctly is NotoSerif from Kobo.
Needless to say, this is just a Kobo rendering engine issue.

Is there a way I can fix this? What needs to be fixed? I dug a bit in the otf spec but couldn't find anything useful.

Edit: Is it a character ordering issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NotoSerifHeb.png
Views:	99
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	201671   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrankReHeb.png
Views:	100
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	201672  

Last edited by Colonel Cathcart; 05-25-2023 at 02:23 AM.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 03:34 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Firmware 4.35 is the first firmware to include Hebrew fonts, right? Perhaps Kobo hasn't implemented proper support for sideloaded Hebrew fonts, yet?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2023, 04:25 AM   #3
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Firmware 4.35 is the first firmware to include Hebrew fonts, right? Perhaps Kobo hasn't implemented proper support for sideloaded Hebrew fonts, yet?
Yes, it auto downloaded Noto Serif Hebrew, but only regular and Bold. No Italics and Bold Italics. Interesting enough, I used ttx to compare the Kobo Noto Serif Hebrew with one I downloaded from Kobo and they are different. It seems that they hired http://www.monotype.com/studio to make some changes, which are, basically:
1. Change all glyphs to overlap.
2. There are some additional ScriptRecord and FeatureRecord changes that I don't understand.

I tried deleting the Kobo version and adding the google version (in the user side-loaded font directory, not the Kobo one) and I didn't see the problems I'm seeing with other fonts.

So it's something with the font and rendering engine that's just wrong, but not for every font it seems, so it could be fixed? That's what I'm thinking, anyway.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:29 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not a direct solution, but because @poire-z worked on this, I can say that doing complex shaping and layout right is not easy .

We've got pretty solid Hebrew support in KOReader, FWIW (and one active contributor who actually reads it, which is very helpful, hi @yparitcher ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:12 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
So it's something with the font and rendering engine that's just wrong, but not for every font it seems, so it could be fixed? That's what I'm thinking, anyway.
I'm guessing you need to report this to Kobo, because it's probably an oversight in the firmware's support for Hebrew fonts.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2023, 04:57 AM   #6
Colonel Cathcart
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm guessing you need to report this to Kobo, because it's probably an oversight in the firmware's support for Hebrew fonts.
I will, as soon as the chat with us button will become available. I live too many time zones away so the hours are a bit odd.
I very vaguely remember that past firmwares didn't have this issue. I could be wrong about that. I haven't been reading Hebrew books a long while.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:10 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
I will, as soon as the chat with us button will become available. I live too many time zones away so the hours are a bit odd.
I very vaguely remember that past firmwares didn't have this issue. I could be wrong about that. I haven't been reading Hebrew books a long while.
If you are running an ad blocker, you'll need to disable it to see the chat button.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:33 AM   #8
Colonel Cathcart
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are running an ad blocker, you'll need to disable it to see the chat button.
Thank you! It wasn't my ad blocker (uBlockOrigin) that was the culprit, it was Firefox' own Enhanced Tracking Protection.