Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll second All Quiet on the Western Front, a very timely nomination as we approach the centenary of the beginning of the Great War next August.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll second Going to the Dogs: The Story of a Moralist by Erich Kästner.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll third All Quiet on the Western Front.

It's available at libraries everywhere:

http://search.overdrive.com/ti/8e5bd...remarque-ebook
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I third Going to the Dogs.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Endorse The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

Endorse Zorba.
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #21
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I would like to nominate The Dinner, by the Dutch writer Herman Koch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Koch
At first sight it looks like a rather light read of 300 pages, but thinking this book over, you'll find it rather disturbing.
A film is being made of this book; Cate Blanchett will direct it.
Spoiler:
“The Dinner,” the newly translated novel by the Dutch writer Herman Koch, has been a European sensation and an international best seller. (...)The success of “The Dinner” depends, in part, on the carefully calibrated revelations of its unreliable and increasingly unsettling narrator, Paul Lohman. Whatever else he may be, likable he is not. There is a bracing nastiness to this book that grows ever more intense with the turning of its pages. It will not please those who seek the cozy, the redemptive or the uplifting. If you are such a reader, you may stop right here. (NY Times)
------
An internationally bestselling phenomenon: the darkly suspenseful, highly controversial tale of two families struggling to make the hardest decision of their lives -- all over the course of one meal.

It's a summer's evening in Amsterdam, and two couples meet at a fashionable restaurant for dinner. Between mouthfuls of food and over the polite scrapings of cutlery, the conversation remains a gentle hum of polite discourse -- the banality of work, the triviality of the holidays. But behind the empty words, terrible things need to be said, and with every forced smile and every new course, the knives are being sharpened.
Each couple has a fifteen-year-old son. The two boys are united by their accountability for a single horrific act; an act that has triggered a police investigation and shattered the comfortable, insulated worlds of their families. As the dinner reaches its culinary climax, the conversation finally touches on their children. As civility and friendship disintegrate, each couple show just how far they are prepared to go to protect those they love.
Tautly written, incredibly gripping, and told by an unforgettable narrator, The Dinner promises to be the topic of countless dinner party debates. Skewering everything from parenting values to pretentious menus to political convictions, this novel reveals the dark side of genteel society and asks what each of us would do in the face of unimaginable tragedy. (Amazon.com)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dinner-Her...an+koch+kindle

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dinner-H...ds=herman+koch

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Dinner-eboo...ds=herman+koch

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dinner-Her...ds=herman+koch

Last edited by desertblues; 05-06-2015 at 11:22 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #22
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll second White Fever
(would have thirded Saramago and Kästner, but it's been done...)
Old 10-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #23
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
I'll nominate "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich", by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. It's a quite short and harrowing tale describing life in the Gulags from the perspective of the poor soul in the title. I feel that it's one of the most moving accounts of how a person can adapt in and under extremely hostile environments and regimes.

I read it in paper form. I think it's available in e-form too.
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #24
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I second "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich".
Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #25
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I'll second The Dinner
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I'll third The Dinner.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #27
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Wasn't The Dinner on the list a few months ago, for our mystery/thriller month?

I'll third Ivan Denisovich.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd like to nominate The Call of the Wild available here at MR.
Call of the Wild
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #29
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Wasn't The Dinner on the list a few months ago, for our mystery/thriller month?

I'll third Ivan Denisovich.
Yes, thanks Bookpossum. Too right.......I see it.......but it wasn't me that nominated it, although it is a book from my country....

Sunsurfer or anybody else: what are the rules for the nominations.....I'll abide by them and will retract my nomination if necessary.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #30
Billi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'd like to nominate The Call of the Wild available here at MR.
Call of the Wild
crich, in which language was The Call of the Wild originally written?