Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
bamh1d
bamh1d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
edit metadata/add format question

Hi, total newbie question. I want to use this capability to rapidly convert a file to several different formats. When I hit the "add format" button, it opens a window that is apparently looking for a file. I have searched everything Calibre installed for a file of supported formats, with no success. Do I actually need files that are already converted to the different formats to indicate which format to add? If not, what file should I open to find a list of supported output formats?

I'm running Calibre v0.8.70 under Windows XP.
bamh1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
anoved
Enthusiast
anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPhone
Hi! To convert a file to different formats, use the "Convert Books" button/menu. You can select the output format from the menu in the top right of the Convert Books window.

The "Add Format" button in the metadata editor is just to add an existing file of whatever type to the book.

Does that answer it?
anoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamh1d View Post
Hi, total newbie question. I want to use this capability to rapidly convert a file to several different formats. When I hit the "add format" button, it opens a window that is apparently looking for a file. I have searched everything Calibre installed for a file of supported formats, with no success. Do I actually need files that are already converted to the different formats to indicate which format to add? If not, what file should I open to find a list of supported output formats?

I'm running Calibre v0.8.70 under Windows XP.
Add format (button) is used to add additional formats of the same book to an existing (or in process of creation). You need to point to the format(s) of the same title to add.
ex. you Already have EPUB: you want to add the Lit and Mobi versions (without doing a conversion). You simply click Add Format (the Red + Book), Navigate to the source folder. Select 1 or all additional formats, the click OK.

Warning! You can add the wrong book this way, there is no title verification. You could add 'Huck Finn'.Lit to 'Tom Sawyer'.EPUB

You can also Drag (from the File browser) and Drop into the formats area. No need to un-zip a folder (If It Contains a single format. Careful, Calibre can not process correctly if multi-formats are inside a single archive )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
bamh1d
bamh1d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks anoved and theducks for answering my question.
bamh1d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
format questions, metadata, output formats