Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not really given how weak ePub 3 support is.
Agreed ( for a change ).

KF8 supports more of the EPUB3 specifications (on a plethora of mainstream devices/apps) than mainstream EPUB apps/devices do.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem comes when you use a feature of KF8 that cannot be used in Mobi. What do you do then? @media won't help in that case when there's no way to fall back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:40 AM   #18
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Agreed ( for a change ).

KF8 supports more of the EPUB3 specifications (on a plethora of mainstream devices/apps) than mainstream EPUB apps/devices do.
I don't think so: no media overlay or javascript. KF8 is a dead book.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:37 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
I don't want javascript or a media overlay. That's not a book, that's an app.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #20
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't want javascript or a media overlay. That's not a book, that's an app.
It is a your problem. And, btw, your "book" is more a website than a book, you know.
I want everything could be useful to share informations, novels, culture. Actually I hate EPUB3 because it is too restrictive, not the opposite. There are 'app' that are more interesting, coherent and complete than most "ebook" ported from inDesign around.
Oblivious: IMHO.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How many mainstream EPUB devices/apps support EPUB3 media overlays, or javascript, hmm?

My point still stands. Read it carefully. You're confusing possibilities with actualities. KF8 ACTUALLY supports more EPUB3 features (in mainstream readers/apps) than mainstream EPUB readers/apps currently do.

I'm not talking about what the EPUB3 spec CAN do (of course it has advantages over KF8). I'm talking about support for advanced EPUB3 features in mainstream reading devices/apps.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-02-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #22
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
How many mainstream EPUB devices/apps support EPUB3 media overlays, or javascript, hmm?

My point still stands. Read it carefully. You're confusing possibilities with actualities. KF8 ACTUALLY supports more EPUB3 features (in mainstream readers/apps) than mainstream EPUB readers/apps currently do.

I'm not talking about what the EPUB3 spec CAN do (of course it has advantages over KF8). I'm talking about support for advanced EPUB3 features in mainstream reading devices/apps.
iBooks, ADE, Readium... and the support is increasing. I know it is not enough, but it is the road for digital publishing. And the IDPF and W3C merging is going in this direction, IMHO. ePub2 and KF8 are dead horses, in long term view. I still build ePub2 and KF8, but there is no light there. They are good only for digitalised paper-book (and not so good).
Old 03-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
iBooks, ADE, Readium... and the support is increasing. I know it is not enough, but it is the road for digital publishing. And the IDPF and W3C merging is going in this direction, IMHO. ePub2 and KF8 are dead horses, in long term view. I still build ePub2 and KF8, but there is no light there. They are good only for digitalised paper-book (and not so good).
I don't disagree. I was just discussing the reality of the situation. Not the speculative possibilities. No format Amazon sells ebooks in is a "dead horse", though. Don't kid yourself. Their formats (whatever they may be) will ALWAYS be highly relevant to those who want to sell ebooks.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #24
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
I don't disagree. I was just discussing the reality of the situation. Not the speculative possibilities. No format Amazon sells ebooks in is a "dead horse", though. Don't kid yourself. Their formats (whatever they may be) will ALWAYS be highly relevant to those who want to sell ebooks.
I'm not so sure in middle term view. It depends how much the "digital books" will be more attractive for casual reader. Last EPUB3 electronic poetry we publish sell in a month more than other ePub2 and mobi poetry ebook we published sold in two year. But we are still talking of 'little numbers' so it *could be* indicative, but still don't.
I'm afraid of "inDesign --> paper/book --> ePub2 --> mobi" workflow, because it is a MP3 model. It works only from a distribution, share access point of view, but do not touch the heart of the digital reading.

f.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #25
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
This discussion reminds me of the Kindle in Motion e-books that Amazon has put out. These are regular books, but with animated graphics throughout. To me they are are a failure in that they look nice to flip though, but are very hard to actually read because all of the animation going on is distracting.

When I read a book I want something book-like, not app-like.

ETA: Personally, I hope that the W3C/IETF focuses on improving e-book layout, especially in adapting the same content for readability on a variety of screen sizes and technologies.

Last edited by jhowell; 03-02-2017 at 01:33 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One problem I find is annoying is that there are so many eBooks out there with many different formatting with most being not optimal for reading as is.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
But Jon, everyone has their own opinion as to what an optimal view is.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
But Jon, everyone has their own opinion as to what an optimal view is.
I know. But it would be best to have one format with options to adjust that to the user's liking.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #29
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredih View Post
I have a table that has rotated text in one of its columns. I've been searching for possible solutions and the only one that will seem to work it is to use SVG. But as far as I know that wouldn't be compatible with the .mobi format.

I stumbled upon the -epub-text-orientation property here, but I couldn't make it work.

Is there any other way to accomplish what I want to do? I want the eBook to be as cross-compatible as possible.

Thanks.
Hi !

By personally using CALIBRE, I change the CSS property for HTML (or body):
PHP Code:
  html {
-
epub-writing-modevertical-rl;

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1535283709
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XoXoChanel.png
Views:	384
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	165861  
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Hi !

By personally using CALIBRE, I change the CSS property for HTML (or body):
PHP Code:
  html {
-
epub-writing-modevertical-rl;

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1535283709
What actually happens, for example, when this book is viewed in a device? Especially one that has auto-rotate turned on?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
format questions, vertical layout, writing mode