Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-14-2020, 03:08 AM   #1
jist
Enthusiast
jist began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Note Lite - Win10
[REQUEST] Dark mode setting

I would really like to use the Dark mode, but (if I understand correctly) you cannot activate it yourself.
You need to have Windows set to use Dark mode, which is what I don't want to use.

So my request is a Calibre setting to be able to switch between light and dark mode.
jist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 04:39 AM   #3
jist
Enthusiast

Thanks, I gave it a shot, and it's probably me, but I couldn't figure it out.
Also, I would like to be able to switch easily between light and dark mode. (daytime use vs. night time use)

For some software you can use a customized shortcut with some 'switch' code in it for such purposes.
Could that perhaps be achieved with Calibre too?
Old 11-14-2020, 06:51 AM   #4
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jist View Post
Thanks, I gave it a shot, and it's probably me, but I couldn't figure it out.
Also, I would like to be able to switch easily between light and dark mode. (daytime use vs. night time use)

For some software you can use a customized shortcut with some 'switch' code in it for such purposes.
Could that perhaps be achieved with Calibre too?
If your Windows is set to light mode, you can do this:

1) Create a new shortcut on you desktop and rename it to Calibre-Dark (or something like that);
2) Right-click it and go to Properties;
3) On the Properties window, edit the target to this:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c SET CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE=1 && START calibre
4) Click on Change Icon and ponint it to: %ProgramFiles%\Calibre2\calibre.exe

Now, when you want to open calibre in light mode, just open as always (start menu, taskbar, etc). When you want dark mode, use this new shortcut.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
jist
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
If your Windows is set to light mode, you can do this:
Thnx, that looks very promising thiago.eec

But... I am using a portable installation.
I tried editing the code, but I can't make it work.
Is this doable for portable? If so can you assist with that too?
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have a watch and you'll see how to set an environment variable for Windows 10.

JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thnx, that looks very promising thiago.eec

But... I am using a portable installation.
I tried editing the code, but I can't make it work.
Is this doable for portable? If so can you assist with that too?
Then, use it like this:

Code:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "SET CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE=1 && START /D ^"Full_Path_Calibre_Portable^" calibre-portable.exe"
Edit Full_Path_Calibre_Portable accordingly.

P.S.: To avoid the CMD window flashing up when you click the shortcut, go to its properties and choose "Run: Minimized".

Last edited by thiago.eec; 11-14-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:24 AM   #8
jist
Enthusiast

Thanks againthiago.eec

I got it to work, but it turns out flawed.
Things like the header bar and main panels remain white.

I am guessing it has to do with running a portable install. Well, it's even more complicated: I am running the normal calibre.exe from the deeper Calibre\Calibre Portable\Calibre folder.
(because else Calibre won't work with libraries on other drives/partitions.)

I'm giving up for now, thanks for helping to give it a try, much appreciated.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:21 AM   #9
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Thanks againthiago.eec

I got it to work, but it turns out flawed.
Things like the header bar and main panels remain white.
The window header is white for me too, even without using environment variables.

Quote:
I am guessing it has to do with running a portable install. Well, it's even more complicated: I am running the normal calibre.exe from the deeper Calibre\Calibre Portable\Calibre folder.
(because else Calibre won't work with libraries on other drives/partitions.)

I'm giving up for now, thanks for helping to give it a try, much appreciated.
I've tried pointing to calibre.exe here, and it worked just the same. I really don't know what the problem might be.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:04 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@jist, did you watch the video?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #11
jist
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@jist, did you watch the video?
Yes I did, and thanks for the link.
But it was wasted on me. It looked like some course on learning Environment Variables part II.
It just didn't connect to me, and I am probably a bit too lazy to put in much effort in this. It feels like too much of a hassle with limited chances of succes.

I hope it helps others though.

Tags
dark mode, windows