Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
kaileslie
kaileslie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
is Irex 1000 good for reading PDF?

what I want is to read PDF liking a realy paper
is IREX 1000 screen big enough for reading PDF?
what about taking notes? covenient? thanks
kaileslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes and yes.
The size of the DR1k means pdfs are easy to read and even if you have multiple columns, changing to landscape and reading is not a problem. Especially for technical papers. For books, I dare say the 8" illiad or proposed DR800 would suit.

The note taking works as it comes, but the default merging software is pretty awful. However the xournal application that Mackx has done a lot of work porting to the irex is wonderful. It should be the default application.

Convenient? Well it depends on what you are doing. If you just want a quick note, remember it takes 60s to boot up, (future firmware updates may help here) however once running it's fine. It is about the size of an A4 pad of paper. You do need to lock off some of the capacitive buttons when writing else there will be a few surprises.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
mikkelninn
mikkelninn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Dr1000
Got my DR1000 about a week ago and use it mainly for reading .pdf's in particular patent documents which is usually in two columns and have a lot of drawings. I have no problem reading it, and find it much more relaxing than pulling my laptop out each time or carry along large amounts of paper.

However, the note-taking is a bit annoying. It wont calibrate exactly, so I'm allways writing slightly 'offset', and for one who makes a lot of notes in the margins it is very annoying (however, the delay from writing to print is not a problem). Hopefully I'll get used to it. Dont know if the Xournal is better at this - haven't tried it yet - only been using the native software.
mikkelninn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Xournal is better. The callibration is not as far out as the default. At least on mine it isn't. The latest version allows you to merge the scribbles in-situe too
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Xournal is better. The callibration is not as far out as the default. At least on mine it isn't. The latest version allows you to merge the scribbles in-situe too
I think it is fair to mention that xournal is not as stable as the original app. You need to be carefull not to trigger a fullscreen update while scribbling. Best is to disable the keys on the side by pressing the small lock at the bottom of the screen.
Furthermore the original app scales the pdfs much better (for reading), so small prints will be better readable and it stores the last page that was read.
Xournal is better if you want to use rectangles; shift everything down to insert extra space; select parts and move it/delet it/copy-past it; to name a few features of xournal.

Personally I think the original app is better for reading and annotating big documents, xournal is better for getting ideas on (empty) paper or annotating 'small' documents.

But ofcourse you are free to do everything with xournal
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert