Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-20-2023, 10:21 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Free & Discounted books?

I have a Kobo Aura One so I need epub books (and can't handle Amazon offerings).

Many Books used to have a page providing info and links to free and discounted books, but it seems to have disappeared.

Can anyone say where it might be?

Also, are there any other sites that provide a page with info and links to free and discounted books?

Thanks.

Last edited by petercreasey; 03-20-2023 at 12:52 PM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:25 AM   #2
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
I don't know Many Books, but I use this forum and https://www.ereaderiq.com/ which tracks Amazon (US/UK).
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2023, 12:52 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should have mentioned that I have a Kobo Aura One; thus, cannot handle Amazon books. They need to be epub.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:24 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's your 'Friendly Buddy': calibre.

Just install it and convert your free (and mostly DRM-free) ebooks to epub.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:31 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I should have mentioned that I have a Kobo Aura One; thus, cannot handle Amazon books. They need to be epub.
I used to buy from Amazon, strip the DRM and convert to ePub.

However, I have moved away from them and now buy from Kobo or B&N. But ereaderIQ still works for me. It uses Amazon as its source of tracking, but sales at Amazon tend to carry over to the others.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2023, 03:02 PM   #6
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Keep in mind that most sale prices on eBooks come from the Publisher, not from Amazon (unless Amazon worked out a special arrangement w/ the publisher). For that reason, if you see a book on sale for $1.99 on Kindle, there's a good chance it's also $1.99 for that day on Kobo, Google Play, Barnes and Noble, Apple Books, etc.

So my all means, use the ereaderiq link mentioned previously and setup some artist or book watchlists for yourself. If something comes up, it will technically be for Amazon, yes, but if you then search for it on Kobo you're likely to find it for the same price. Plus, in cases where it's not, Kobo is usually willing to price-match.

I also setup a bookmark that you're free to use, which takes you to the "Most Watched" deals and pre-sets some parameters for upper and lower price ranges. I set it at a dollar minimum, because stuff below a dollar is usually self-published crap. And I set the upper bound to six dollars, because I'm cheap. It's usually the first URL I check every morning after I get to my computer.

Last edited by Cactus Chef; 03-20-2023 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add qualifier adjective to books below a dollar.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:23 PM   #7
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I used to buy from Amazon, strip the DRM and convert to ePub.

However, I have moved away from them and now buy from Kobo or B&N. But ereaderIQ still works for me. It uses Amazon as its source of tracking, but sales at Amazon tend to carry over to the others.
Also, if Amazon for your region has a sale which Kobo for your region doesn't, Kobo does have a price match guarantee (e.g. don't try to price match Amazon.com from Kobo Canada). I have used it several times and never had a price match refused against a Kindle price on Amazon (though I do always screenshot the Amazon price to supply later, in case the sale ends before my price match request goes through).

In fact, they don't just match the price by refunding you the difference, they give you a little extra to beat the matched price. (I believe they refund you the difference plus 10% of the competitor's price.)

So, even if you shop from Kobo, ereaderiq.com can save you a lot of money.
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #8
Halle
Halle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
I don't know Many Books, but I use this forum and https://www.ereaderiq.com/ which tracks Amazon (US/UK).
I like that site as well. Very useful.
Halle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:54 PM   #9
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Here's your 'Friendly Buddy': calibre.

Just install it and convert your free (and mostly DRM-free) ebooks to epub.
I use Calibre extensively.

Are you saying that most Amazon books will side load to my KA1 using Calibre? Interesting -- if true, I had no idea.

Please advise.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:40 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use Calibre extensively.

Are you saying that most Amazon books will side load to my KA1 using Calibre? Interesting -- if true, I had no idea.

Please advise.

If the ebook has no DRM, then you can load it into calibre and convert it into an epub format. I do that with all my ebooks from Amazon (even the ones that are purchased. But please note the paragraph BELOW) :

If it does have DRM, then that's a whole new thread with a whole new can of worms. (You might wish to look into the Amazon Forums for additional info. on tackling this issue for books purchased from Amazon that have DRM.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-20-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:57 AM   #11
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Another source of free books is libraries.

If you have a local library, ask them about ebooks. Most libraries can give you login information to your regional ebook library.

If you don't mind reading scanned book images (best with a phone or tablet), you can also use the Internet Archive. They have many titles that have never had proper ebook editions. They hold the physical books in storage, and digitally lend them out to one reader at a time.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:07 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Many Books used to have a page providing info and links to free and discounted books, but it seems to have disappeared.

Can anyone say where it might be?
manybooks.net ? Still a lot of free books listed there. I think they also sell books.

There's also standardebooks.org and Feedbooks (a little harder to find not that they've been bought out).

https://www.feedbooks.com/catalog/public_domain

Smashwords is all DRM free — and they also have some free books.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-21-2023 at 05:21 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:57 AM   #13
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pd books - try fadedpage (canadian) or project Gutenberg. Or if you fancy paying a little you could try Delphi classics.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:01 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Don't forget the ton of ebooks (epubs, etc.) right here on Mobileread. These are public domain titles and they are all FREE. It's called the Patricia Clark Memorial Library.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:39 AM   #15
petercreasey
Wizard

[QUOTE=Dr. Drib;4308267]Patricia Clark Memorial Library[QUOTE]

How/where can it be found? Thanks.