Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-08-2022, 07:31 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My 7" Libra 2 fits perfectly in my bag.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:42 PM   #32
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Depends on the size of the bag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2022, 07:51 PM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Whereas I go the other way, and wish someone would make a smaller screen e-reader that is easy to tuck in a pocket or tiny bag. I'd love to see an updated version of the 5-inch screen Kobo mini, just with some sort of lighting - I'd take any kind of lighting. But heck, it's even hard to find a phone with a 5-inch screen these days...sigh!
Second this. My Kobo Mini is still in use, as my beach reader. But in truth, what with its large bezels and puffy OEM cover, it’s not any smaller than a current 6” reader. A 5” reader with somewhat better resolution that had been trimmed down in its surrounds; oh, sign me on! I’ve got a bunch of aging devices and am not tempted, much, by current offerings, but a sleek five-incher would have me slapping down my Visa like lightning.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #34
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’ve got a bunch of aging devices and am not tempted, much, by current offerings..
That statement is exactly how I feel honestly.

I find it a bit depressing that all of my favorite devices are not even close to the latest/newest ones.

It makes me concerned for future upgrades as devices finally get too old eventually. Although, it is pretty nice that for e-ink and just reading, basically no device is "too old" as long as it still works (I'm a sideloader and don't use any library/store services, etc)
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:18 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Make sure it's in a case! Can I recommend a Fintie one?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2022, 09:37 PM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Whereas I go the other way, and wish someone would make a smaller screen e-reader that is easy to tuck in a pocket or tiny bag. I'd love to see an updated version of the 5-inch screen Kobo mini, just with some sort of lighting - I'd take any kind of lighting. But heck, it's even hard to find a phone with a 5-inch screen these days...sigh!
There's the InkPalm 5. There's lots of talk about it here.

It has a 5.2" Carta HD flush screen, 24 white and amber LED lights.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #37
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
This looks really cool, if I could find a place to buy it. A quick search showed one place that was selling it, but has stopped selling to consumers. And if it had an English interface - or at least a language with an English/Latin alphabet. I'm pretty good at guessing in a few languages when I can make out the letters, but Chinese characters would be beyond me.

I'm swamped right now, but will research more when I get time. (Or if someone else knows more, please post!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There's the InkPalm 5. There's lots of talk about it here.

It has a 5.2" Carta HD flush screen, 24 white and amber LED lights.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:50 PM   #38
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
So, did they get rid of the storage partitioning for this new NOOK? Or are we gonna have another GlowLight 3 scenario?
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
So, did they get rid of the storage partitioning for this new NOOK? Or are we gonna have another GlowLight 3 scenario?
Considering the new Nook doesn't seem to be on sale yet, you may have to wait a while for the answer. Given B&N's past, my personal bet is that the storage will have a small partition for sideloaded content.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:23 AM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Considering the new Nook doesn't seem to be on sale yet, you may have to wait a while for the answer. Given B&N's past, my personal bet is that the storage will have a small partition for sideloaded content.
The Nook Glowlight 4 (the one this thread is about) is available. The physical stores are just poor at stocking it.

It came out late last year. I believe it uses the Carta 1200 screen, but wasn't able to confirm that for sure. The bezels are much smaller than those on the 3, about the same size as the Clara. It has a faster processor (quad-core 1.5GHz), USB-C and 32GB of memory, but the stupid memory is partitioned again. 5GB for sideloading. B&N really needs to cut that out. That is what's put me off buying one.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #41
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
The Nook Glowlight 4 (the one this thread is about) is available. The physical stores are just poor at stocking it.

It came out late last year. I believe it uses the Carta 1200 screen, but wasn't able to confirm that for sure. The bezels are much smaller than those on the 3, about the same size as the Clara. It has a faster processor (quad-core 1.5GHz), USB-C and 32GB of memory, but the stupid memory is partitioned again. 5GB for sideloading. B&N really needs to cut that out. That is what's put me off buying one.
Funniest part is that the promotional material on their site implies that all the space is also usable for sideloaded content, to quote them...
"32GB memory: 29.1 GB for NOOK Store content and side-loaded content"
They say it with no asterisks or anything of the sort, directly implying that every single gigabyte of on-board storage can be used for your own sideloaded content with no restrictions.

I am legit surprised nobody has tried to sue them for false advertising yet...
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:51 AM   #42
Omnigeek
Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD/HD+/Glowlight/460, Samsung GS9+, Kobo Aura H2O, iPad Pro/mini
Quote:
Just got a refurbished GL 4 and I'm quite happy with it overall. However, yes, the sideloaded content is retricted to a 5 GB partition which annoys me on general principle.
Omnigeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnigeek View Post
Just got a refurbished GL 4 and I'm quite happy with it overall. However, yes, the sideloaded content is retricted to a 5 GB partition which annoys me on general principle.
Hey, in the NOOK GlowLight 4 Pearl Pink?! thread, a user said that they have access to all of the storage. So far only one person mentioned it. But if that is so, I'd buy a GL4. Is there maybe a software update for your 4?
Old 08-19-2022, 10:10 AM   #44
Omnigeek
Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD/HD+/Glowlight/460, Samsung GS9+, Kobo Aura H2O, iPad Pro/mini
Quote:
Hey, in the NOOK GlowLight 4 Pearl Pink?! thread, a user said that they have access to all of the storage. So far only one person mentioned it. But if that is so, I'd buy a GL4. Is there maybe a software update for your 4?
The first thing the Nook did when I was registering it was a software update and I saw the partition limits after that update.
Omnigeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:12 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnigeek View Post
The first thing the Nook did when I was registering it was a software update and I saw the partition limits after that update.
Darn it!