Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-07-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
NOOK GlowLight 4 On Sale

Barnes and Noble has a sale on their Nook GlowLight 4..

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...=9780594149293

Last edited by issybird; 05-07-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's still overpriced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2022, 12:41 PM   #3
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I really wish they'd made a 6.8-7" class device this time around
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:08 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I still haven't seen one in person. Maybe I'll try going in to the store next week and see if they have any display models.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I still haven't seen one in person. Maybe I'll try going in to the store next week and see if they have any display models.
I was bummed to see that our local B&N seemed to completely remove the nook demo/display area. So weird.

Not sure how they expect folks to get excited about trying them and buying them without a little display area.
Advert
Old 05-07-2022, 01:16 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I was bummed to see that our local B&N seemed to completely remove the nook demo/display area. So weird.

Not sure how they expect folks to get excited about trying them and buying them without a little display area.
Last time I went to the store, they had a Glowlight 3 and a Glowlight Plus on display at the service desk. They just hadn't added a Glowlight 4.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #7
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Last time I went to the store, they had a Glowlight 3 and a Glowlight Plus on display at the service desk. They just hadn't added a Glowlight 4.
Lucky - I was at ours 3 days ago and the CS rep said they'd gotten rid of the Nook demo zone over a year ago. Must be our market.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Lucky - I was at ours 3 days ago and the CS rep said they'd gotten rid of the Nook demo zone over a year ago. Must be our market.
Yeah, they really need to get their act together on the Nook. Great hardware design, behind the times software and an ambivalent attitude about it in their stores.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, they really need to get their act together on the Nook. Great hardware design, behind the times software and an ambivalent attitude about it in their stores.
Doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the software is so bad. The huge bezels is a bad hardware design. So really, the hardware is meh! and the software is worse.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:01 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the software is so bad. The huge bezels is a bad hardware design. So really, the hardware is meh! and the software is worse.
Have you seen a Glowlight 4 in person?
Old 05-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
The huge bezels is a bad hardware design.
I really wish people wouldn't stay stuff like this, as though it's objectively true.
(it's not)

The entire reason I love Nooks is for the large comfortable bezels that are easy to grip and hold.

It's a feature! -- especially in a world where every other option seems to be inching towards "all screen, no edge" models
Old 05-07-2022, 07:21 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I really wish people wouldn't stay stuff like this, as though it's objectively true.
(it's not)

The entire reason I love Nooks is for the large comfortable bezels that are easy to grip and hold.

It's a feature! -- especially in a world where every other option seems to be inching towards "all screen, no edge" models
Take a look at the Kobo Libra 2. It has space to hold it on the side where the buttons are. The rest of the bezel is not overly large.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:22 PM   #13
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Take a look at the Kobo Libra 2. It has space to hold it on the side where the buttons are. The rest of the bezel is not overly large.
Asymmetrical devices are a different concept.

I like symmetrical devices with buttons on both sides so I can seamlessly switch hands, which I do quite a bit when reading

Nooks and my Voyage are my favorites for sure

To each our own, but it’s incorrect to say “large bezels are bad design”

Good design ≠ thin, light and small as possible

That same design mistake happens a lot with streaming device remotes now. Things meant to be used in our hands have many factors that should be considered when designed.

Last edited by bookyboy; 05-07-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:36 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You don't need buttons on both sides for a Libra 2. You just turn it over so the buttons are on the other side and the screen will flip to match.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #15
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
You don't need buttons on both sides for a Libra 2. You just turn it over so the buttons are on the other side and the screen will flip to match.
I'm aware of how they work, yes

It's still a different concept that doesn't suit those of us who change hands while reading all the time.

I love symmetrical with buttons on both sides so I can seamlessly move between grips and hands without stopping, flipping, etc

All very subjective, but I'm very happy there are lots of options out there.

I still hope Amazon might resurrect a Voyage some day --- a 6.8" Voyage would be amazing.