Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
We aren't saying it's not REALLY reading, we are saying it's not reading.

In the same way swimming is not walking, it's not better or worse, just different.

There is a perfectly good word for what you do with an audiobook and it isn't read. As far as I can tell absolutely no one has any problems with audiobooks themselves, I prefer audioplays myself but that's just my preference.
Yep. My view entirely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #107
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

In the same way swimming is not walking, it's not better or worse, just different.

There is a perfectly good word for what you do with an audiobook and it isn't read. As far as I can tell absolutely no one has any problems with audiobooks themselves, I prefer audioplays myself but that's just my preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yep. My view entirely.
So since you both seem to claiming a purely semantic reason for your views, I'm assuming you would both object (just as strenuously) whenever someone used the phrase, "I read you loud and clear", right? Or do you just pick and choose when pure semantics should rule the day? Are you perfectly OK with the guy in the truck on the street remotely "reading" your meter with a radio device?

I mean, if you're only a stickler for semantic detail under this one particular "reading" scenario, then your whole "listening isn't—by definition—reading" objection sort of falls apart. Unless you're equally willing to oppose all usage of the word "reading" that doesn't involve eyeballs perusing written language (with comprehension), then what you're really saying is "I get to decide when saying 'reading' doesn't really have to mean 'reading'."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-01-2017 at 01:13 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #108
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So since you both seem to claiming a purely semantic reason for your views, I'm assuming you would both object (just as strenuously) whenever someone used the phrase, "I read you loud and clear", right? Or do you just pick and choose when pure semantics should rule the day? Are you perfectly OK with the guy in the truck on the street remotely "reading" your meter with a radio device?
The word "read" does indeed have many different usages. I wouldn't personally include the act of listening to someone else reading a book among those usages: I choose to call that activity "listening". That's just me; other people will of course regard the situation differently.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #109
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Crich, a MOVIE is an interpretation of a book. So it is completely apples and celery. An unabridged audiobook and a book are the same words at least. So apples and applesauce.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #110
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:

Swimming and walking are both forms of motion. Visual reading and aural reading are both forms of reading.

Quote:
Tell me this: Are you engaging in the exact same activity when you listen to Bach and when you listen to an audiobook? Why or why not?

Quote:
No, you've looked at it, like a picture. If it helps I'm willing to accept viewed, studied & scrutinised as well
By your definition of reading, why isn't it reading? It's a visual intake of the material.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #111
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
The word "read" does indeed have many different usages. I wouldn't personally include the act of listening to someone else reading a book among those usages: I choose to call that activity "listening".
There is no separate but equal aural equivalent to 'reading'. Listening is the equivalent of looking; looking and listening both merely refer to being aware of a stimulus. Reading refers to not only being aware of a stimulus but actively comprehending it and engaging with it on a high level. This is why, I think, reading is beginning to be used as a verb for consuming an unabridged audiobook.

Basically, it's a void of the English language being filled by the more precise term (reading) often related to a different sense (sight) rather than the less precise and more generic term (listening) related to the same sense (hearing). It is also backed up by other valid aural uses of the word 'reading', and in fact they (the prior uses and this use in regards to audiobooks) probably have the same root cause of using 'reading' in an aural context- to better differentiate that the information is being comprehended on a higher level.

Of course, one could just say 'listening to an audiobook' and would be understood, but despite any vigorous protestations to the contrary, 'listening' gives a less precise and less estimable connotation than 'reading'.

I think any objections to the thought of 'reading an audiobook' are mostly because of the newness of this usage (and therefore it can sound odd or awkward at first) and a bit of linguistic 'drawing lines in sand', but language is ever-evolving and we've offered very sound reasons in this thread for 'reading an audiobook' being as proper as 'listening to an audiobook', and more precise.

Personally, I still may use either one as I see fit, but I prefer the choice rather than feeling like I should have to say one.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #112
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
There is no separate but equal aural equivalent to 'reading'. Listening is the equivalent of looking; looking and listening both merely refer to being aware of a stimulus. Reading refers to not only being aware of a stimulus but actively comprehending it and engaging with it on a high level. This is why, I think, reading is beginning to be used as a verb for consuming an unabridged audiobook.

Basically, it's a void of the English language being filled by the more precise term (reading) often related to a different sense (sight) rather than the less precise and more generic term (listening) related to the same sense (hearing). It is also backed up by other valid aural uses of the word 'reading', and in fact they (the prior uses and this use in regards to audiobooks) probably have the same root cause of using 'reading' in an aural context- to better differentiate that the information is being comprehended on a higher level.

Of course, one could just say 'listening to an audiobook' and would be understood, but despite any vigorous protestations to the contrary, 'listening' gives a less precise and less estimable connotation than 'reading'.

I think any objections to the thought of 'reading an audiobook' are mostly because of the newness of this usage (and therefore it can sound odd or awkward at first) and a bit of linguistic 'drawing lines in sand', but language is ever-evolving and we've offered very sound reasons in this thread for 'reading an audiobook' being as proper as 'listening to an audiobook', and more precise.

Personally, I still may use either one as I see fit, but I prefer the choice rather than feeling like I should have to say one.
I read you 5X5.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #113
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

The reason I choose not to use it myself is that I see reading as an “active” activity, but listening as a “passive” one. It’s the same difference, to my mind, that exists between playing a musical instrument yourself, and listening to someone else play one. As a listener, you are simply a consumer of someone else’s performance, whether that performance be the musician playing the instrument, or the narrator reading the book. When you read a book or play an instrument, on the other hand, you are creating the performance yourself. I regard these as entirely distinct activities.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-01-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #114
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As a listener, you are simply a consumer of someone else’s performance, whether that performance be the musician playing the instrument, or the narrator reading the book. When you read a book or play an instrument, on the other hand, you are creating the performance yourself. I regard these as entirely distinct activities.
You're giving the reader to much credit I think. Reading a book is in no way the equivalent of creating anything. A reader is experiencing the story just as passively/actively as a listener, in my opinion. In the end, you're both merely processing/consuming what someone else has created.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-01-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #115
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
You're giving the reader to much credit I think. Reading a book is in no way the equivalent of creating anything. A reader is experiencing the story just as passively/actively as a listener, in my opinion. In the end, you're both merely processing/consuming what someone else has created.
We must agree to differ. I, for example, have both the UK version of the “Harry Potter” audiobooks, which are narrated by Stephen Fry, and the US version, narrated by Jim Dale. Same books, but two very different performances. I use that word deliberately; I think an audiobook narration by a good narrator is very much a performance, and I, as the listener, get my experience of the book filtered through the interpretation that the performer has placed on it. When I read the book myself, on the other hand, all the interpretation is my own; there’s no intermediary.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #116
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When I read the book myself, on the other hand, all the interpretation is my own; there’s no intermediary.
Well see now you're moving the goal-posts. Of course the interpretation is your own (though I don't see how having an intermediary reader would preclude a listener from interpreting the words they're hearing any way they see fit also—provided the narrator isn't "ad-libbing" of course) when reading the book to yourself. But you were likening your own reading to creating a performance. That seems a bit of a reach to me.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-01-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #117
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
The reason I choose not to use it myself is that I see reading as an “active” activity, but listening as a “passive” one. It’s the same difference, to my mind, that exists between playing a musical instrument yourself, and listening to someone else play one. As a listener, you are simply a consumer of someone else’s performance, whether that performance be the musician playing the instrument, or the narrator reading the book. When you read a book or play an instrument, on the other hand, you are creating the performance yourself. I regard these as entirely distinct activities.
Rather like reading Julia Child's book and hearing her voice in your head.

Now I will say that the railroad would appreciate it if more people would actively listen when planning to go over the track.
That is the only example I can come up with for listening being an action.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well see now you're moving the goal-posts. Of course the interpretation is your own (though I don't see how having an intermediary reader would preclude a listener from interpreting the words they're hearing any way they see fit also—provided the narrator isn't "ad-libbing" of course) when reading the book to yourself. But you were likening your own reading to creating a performance. That seems a bit of a reach to me.
I wonder if it perhaps boils down to individual differences of perception? When I read a book myself, the mental imagery that the process of reading triggers is very much an “internal performance”, and that doesn’t happen for me when I listen to someone else reading the book. It’s always been that way for me, which is one reason I’m an avid reader - the pictures are so much better than TV .
Old 11-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #119
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
There is no separate but equal aural equivalent to 'reading'.
Basically, it's a void of the English language being filled by the more precise term.
I've cut a lot of the quote out to be concise, follow the back link for the full text.

Excellent argument, the only slight problem I have with it is that exactly the same reasoning can be used for "reading a movie (or play)".

I'd agree that a more precise term may be of use, although most stories throughout the ages have been narrated, so the term you're looking for should predate reading, not follow it.

Obviously, use whatever you want, me and HarryT tend to be finicky about language and once spent about 3 days arguing about whether or not Welsh was phonetic (we eventually decided we had different definitions of phonetic)
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #120
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wonder if it perhaps boils down to individual differences of perception? When I read a book myself, the mental imagery that the process of reading triggers is very much an “internal performance”, and that doesn’t happen for me when I listen to someone else reading the book. It’s always been that way for me, which is one reason I’m an avid reader - the pictures are so much better than TV .
That's very possible. I freely admit that I'm not putting on a show for myself when I read. I don't do voices, and I don't try to visualize places, architecture, facial features, or fashion that an author takes the time to describe. There are no pictures being created in my head (or very few, anyway)—only ideas and feelings. Tension and release. Much like how I experience music.