Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #91
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On the contrary, it's an inescapable consequence of the statement that listening to a book is the same activity as reading it. It's an elementary application of formal logic: if "A" and "B" are equivalent, then any conclusion resulting from "A" must also result from "B".
Of course they are not the "same activity," and I am unaware of anyone claiming that. The claim is that whether one absorbs the content visually or aurally, one is reading.

If I say simple arithmetic is mathematics, and calculus is mathematics, does that mean that simple arithmetic = calculus?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #92
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Of course they are not the "same activity," and I am unaware of anyone claiming that. The claim is that whether one absorbs the content visually or aurally, one is reading.

If I say simple arithmetic is mathematics, and calculus is mathematics, does that mean that simple arithmetic = calculus?
For some people yes.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #93
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Reading uses our eyes, listening uses our ears, two different senses utilizing two different body parts.

Neither of which compromises our comprehension of the material.
Except for the inherent speed difference. Spoken word is so much slower, that I require another mostly-mindless activity (driving long distances on the highway) to avoid mental wandering. Which DOES affect comprehension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
But A and B are not equivalent in this case are they? When you read text you have to visualize solely in your head what is happening. ...
You don't *have* to visualize it in your head. I rarely do. That requires slowing down and forming a mental image. Until a detail about the setting *matters* (to the story), I don't stop to visualize it at all. Nor do I have anything but a vague blob image of the characters. I don't care what they look like, only what happens next.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #94
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
As to the 'cheating' issue that others have commented on, this was discussed in another thread and I think the idea came about because before the late 1990s, most audiobooks were abridged. So a book that took you 20 hours to read, could be narrated to you in 4-5. Clearly, not the same thing.
I remember my first audiobook, "Nerve" an early book by Dick Francis. I happened to see it as I was checking out at a book store and asked about it and bought it. I had a Walkman at the time so I listened to it. It was a single 60 minute tape. The book, which I read recently, is 322 pages long. You'd think I'd guess that it was abridged but that just never occurred to me. I think I listened to 3 or 4 of them before I realized I wasn't getting the whole thing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #95
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I don't like using the same word for two very different experiences.
How about "fast", meaning either moving rapidly or not moving at all, as in tied fast.

Barry
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #96
barryem
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
------
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
No, you just said that listening to a book is the same as reading it, therefore :-

If
Listening to a book = reading a book
Then
Knowing how to listen = knowing how to read
-------
That's absurd, and you know it.
I thought it was pretty clever. I don't agree with it but i like it.

Barry
Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #97
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
How about "fast", meaning either moving rapidly or not moving at all, as in tied fast.

Barry
Add to that - a person went on a "fast", meaning not eating food.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #98
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
And people say 'do you read me?' and 'I read you' where 'read' equals 'hear and understand what is communicated aurally by'.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:59 AM   #99
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
And people say 'do you read me?' and 'I read you' where 'read' equals 'hear and understand what is communicated aurally by'.
I always assumes that was left over from the days of long distance telegraphs, in the same way you "tape" a tv show. Anyone know for sure?
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:00 AM   #100
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I thought it was pretty clever. I don't agree with it but i like it.

Barry
I don't agree with it either as it's obviously rubbish, just proving a point
Old 10-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #101
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I always assumes that was left over from the days of long distance telegraphs, in the same way you "tape" a tv show. Anyone know for sure?
It's a usage that everyone accepts as valid where reading is something done with the ears.

I think it's ungenerous not to accept reading as something that can be done with an audiobook even without other accepted usages of reading relating to listening, but with other valid usages such as this it borders on the absurd.

The resistance may stem from stories told aurally through the ages often being condensed as needed or changing while a printed book is often more comprehensive and finite, and the first big push on audiobooks some decades ago often featuring very abridged (and sometimes unlabelled as such) versions of printed books. Now however we are entering the new age of unabridged audiobooks where what is spoken equals what is written word for word, and thus reading an audiobook is wholly appropriate and supported by other usages of the verb.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:30 PM   #102
barryem
Wizard

I wonder if the demeaning of listening is because the first experience of books for most of us is listening to our parents read to us, planting in our minds that being read to is for children.

Barry
Old 11-01-2017, 01:41 AM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I wonder if the demeaning of listening is because the first experience of books for most of us is listening to our parents read to us, planting in our minds that being read to is for children.

Barry
Nobody in this thread has demeaned audiobooks, Barry. All anyone's questioned is whether or not it's reasonable to say that you've read a book yourself when what you've actually done is listened to someone else read it. Some people are happy with that usage, some not. It's a personal choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #104
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nobody in this thread has demeaned audiobooks, Barry. All anyone's questioned is whether or not it's reasonable to say that you've read a book yourself when what you've actually done is listened to someone else read it. Some people are happy with that usage, some not. It's a personal choice.
Of course it's demeaning to say that listening to audiobooks isn't REALLY reading. It's on a par with saying an e-book isn't REALLY a book.

"Reading" encompasses more than simply using one's eyes; the most important element of reading is comprehension. If I painstakingly look word by word at a page of Greek or Chinese or Russian, none of which I know, have I "read" it?

There's visual reading, there's aural reading, there's touch reading (Braille). It's foolish to claim that only visual reading is actual reading.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #105
MikeB1972
Gnu

Quote:
Of course it's demeaning to say that listening to audiobooks isn't REALLY reading. It's on a par with saying an e-book isn't REALLY a book.
We aren't saying it's not REALLY reading, we are saying it's not reading.

In the same way swimming is not walking, it's not better or worse, just different.

There is a perfectly good word for what you do with an audiobook and it isn't read. As far as I can tell absolutely no one has any problems with audiobooks themselves, I prefer audioplays myself but that's just my preference.

Quote:
"Reading" encompasses more than simply using one's eyes; the most important element of reading is comprehension. If I painstakingly look word by word at a page of Greek or Chinese or Russian, none of which I know, have I "read" it?
No, you've looked at it, like a picture. If it helps I'm willing to accept viewed, studied & scrutinised as well

Quote:
There's visual reading, there's aural reading, there's touch reading (Braille). It's foolish to claim that only visual reading is actual reading.
That aural reading is called listening