Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 AM   #1
rufush
rufush began at the beginning.

Device: samsung note 2
Strange book titles using moon+ reader

Wonder if anyone has an idea about this...
I've got a load of ebooks, converted by calibre into mobi format and have loaded them using usb from my windows 7 pc to a kindle fire hd 8 (2017) model.
Most of the titles are the same as the file name, but I have few where the filename is correct but the book title displays as something like CR!VXX4RB......
If I search for the proper book title title if finds the book but still displays it with the CR!... title

It only happens in moon+ reader, presario displays it fine.
Cant see any reference to the CR!VXX4.... title in the meta description or anywhere else !

any thoughts on where this "title" is being picked up from by mobi+ ?

Thanks Rufe
rufush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
In the original Mobipocket format the first 31 bytes of the file was used for the file name, typically containing the book title. In more modern books this field contains a unique identifier that starts with the characters "CR!", such as "CR!CCNGNFNTD51FD60RD7BTHNQ4KKXJ". Perhaps the reader software is failing to locate the metadata within the MOBI file and using that information instead.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I've had this happen in the past in random books I've opened in Moon+ and found if I converted to epub deleted the mobi and converted back to mobi it would be fine. I'm not sure if any of my conversion settings play into this however.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:51 AM   #4
rufush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
In the original Mobipocket format the first 31 bytes of the file was used for the file name, typically containing the book title.
Ah... a quick hex view of one of the offending files does indeed show the first 31 bytes as CR!........ whereas the MOBI books that display properly have the title in the the first 31.

Re-converting them from MOBI to MOBI in Calibre fixes it.

Wonder why moon+ uses the first 31 instead of the filename like other readers appear to use.
Thanks for the pointers.
Rufe
Old 01-31-2018, 04:53 AM   #5
rufush

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
.... and found if I converted to epub deleted the mobi and converted back to mobi it would be fine.
I converted MOBI to MOBI, and calibre renames the orginal mobi to... ORIGINAL_MOBI :-) ... the converted MOBI now looks "normal" :-)
Cheers for the tip.
Rufe
Advert
Old 01-31-2018, 05:32 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Probably best to report this to the app developers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:48 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's best use epub in this app. I find the mobi support severely lacking. Epub supports better formatting too.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:51 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's best use epub in this app. I find the mobi support severely lacking. Epub supports better formatting too.
Yes, I agree entirely. Moon+ Pro is my preferred Android reader, and I always use it with ePub format, not Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:30 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My wife also prefers ePub with Moon+ Pro.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote