Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #76
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Pot, meet Kettle.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #77
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Pot, meet Kettle.
I have noticed that when he attacks someone or something, it's providing feedback and when others provide him feedback, it's a personal attack.

As a developer, I hate it when someone tries to badger me into making some change that doesn't fit the design of the program. Yea, I heard you the first time you said it and I decided that it wasn't something that fit into what the program is suppose to do.

No program fits everyone's needs. If you have super specific needs, either write it yourself, or pay someone to write it for you. If you can clearly articulate what you want it to do, then it shouldn't cost more than $40,000 or so for a developer who is experienced in writing ebook reading programs.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #78
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Nope, that's just your personal preference, Jon, just like, for many years, you proclaimed "ADE page numbers" (something most people don't care about) to be the most important issue on planet Earth. Your personal preferences must be respected, Jon, but that's all they are – personal preferences, no more. And I'm pretty sure most e-book readers view annotations syncing as more important than 100% CSS fidelity. (Also, it wouldn't hurt to proofread your own posts before hitting the Submit button.)
Oh, the irony of berating Jon for his personal preferences, and then confidently claiming that most e-book readers think syncing annotations is more important, when it is surely just as much a personal preference. No wonder Kris gave up on Marvin.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #79
santoshdts
Banned
santoshdts began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Air 2 with Marvin3
Why a Textshot command not able to save the highlighted text to Photos in ios12?
Where as, Iam able to use the same command to tweet and save on my Notes app.
santoshdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:19 AM   #80
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I left Marvin for FBReader. FBReader is cross platform which is a huge win for me. Other than changing font size, I don’t mess with anything with the text so some of the concerns people have about supporting everything EPUB don’t matter to me.

FBReader has a nice integration with Google drive for loading books as well as supporting OPDS. FBReader has support for Series.

I can change lighting with the drag of a finger...one of my favorite features all the way back to Stanza.

I can set both left and right margins to go to next page. FBReader even lets me set a small part of the left margin to go back.

And, of course, syncing across iPhone, iPad and Android phones and tablets. I like having the option to read on my Kindle Fire tablet.

Doesn’t have the Marvin “radar” (or whatever it’s called) that indexes all the words in a book allowing you to teach a character's name. Not essential but it was a nice to have.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #81
santoshdts
Banned

Hi,
I was using the Sync location of a book iam reading few days ago.
Today I tried to do the same by hitting the Sync button on the progress bar but iam unable to mark the location.

Is the Sync stopped, which used to help in access the latest location of the same book on a different device?

Iam I missing something here?

Thanks.

Attachment 172968

Last edited by issybird; 01-14-2023 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #82
santoshdts
Banned

Hi,
Earlier I used to sync my reading position on a device using the Sync button on the progress bar.

But today iam unable to sync the latest position of my book on both my devices.
Both devices on ios 12.x.x

Iam I missing something?

Old 08-17-2019, 01:53 AM   #83
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
You don't need to mark the location sync does that. It still works for me fine between my iPad mini and my iPhone.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #84
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshdts View Post
Hi,
I was using the Sync location of a book iam reading few days ago.
Today I tried to do the same by hitting the Sync button on the progress bar but iam unable to mark the location.

Is the Sync stopped, which used to help in access the latest location of the same book on a different device?

Iam I missing something here?

Thanks.

Attachment 172968
Syncing does require linking via dropbox or iCloud. Once you are linked, syncing happens automatically. You use the sync button to look at the cloud and see what devices are at what locations rather than to store your current location. Thus if I have two devices and have been reading on device A, then pick up device B and open the same book, I use the sync button to move to where I was on device A.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #85
Geosprouter
Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Geosprouter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ipad Air 2
The saddest part of all of this is that Marvin is simply the best ereader out there. None of them compare to Marvin and I have tried most of them. The only one that comes close is Hyphen IMHO.
Geosprouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #86
Wickedkitten
Wickedkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
It’s a damn shame that Kris stopped development and I really hope that it wasn’t because of the stuff that happened in the beta newsgroup.
Wickedkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #87
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I like Marvin better than any others I've tried. However, I'm having to give up on it - when viewing in landscape with 2 columns, Marvin looses it's place when I leave. When I remember, I give it a bookmark, but I often forget and it is just too frustrating to find my place when I go back.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #88
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a thought...don't use 2 columns??

1 column works fine...and it is still better than any others I've tried too.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #89
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Just a thought...don't use 2 columns??

1 column works fine...and it is still better than any others I've tried too.
I'm a fast reader, so 2 columns makes me even faster as my eyes don't have to travel across the line, just down to the next line. In one column my eyes have to first move sideways, then down, thus slowing me down. I do agree that it is better than any of the others.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #90
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I'm a fast reader, so 2 columns makes me even faster as my eyes don't have to travel across the line, just down to the next line. In one column my eyes have to first move sideways, then down, thus slowing me down. I do agree that it is better than any of the others.
If you make the margins wide enough you could reduce the one wide column down to the width of the column you would get when using two columns...and then turn on auto scroll so you don't even have to move your eyes from the bottom of one column to the top of the next. Plus - no sideways reading!

Marvin can accommodate all kinds of reading styles!!

edit: OK...all playing aside, you can just go in to general settings and turn on the option to "auto-bookmark on close"....then you're all set!

Last edited by Turtle91; 09-04-2019 at 02:40 PM.