Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
johnnytruant
johnnytruant doesn't litterjohnnytruant doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad, Aura HD
secure ePub on iLiad

So, I've been talking to a number of UK publishers. Most of them are gagging to get their back catalogues online, but they are all about the secure ePub as their format of choice. Just after mobipocket's DRM was finally cracked too, dammit*.

Anyone know if the iLiad can handle, or has plans to be able to handle, secure ePub? I know I can do non-secured ePubs with fbreader (thanks Adam!).

* note: I don't want to steal books. I just want to own - not lease - the ones I've paid for. On the plus side, every publisher was broadly anti-DRM, and are hoping to be DRM-free in the future. They all said that right now - in an emerging ebook market etc - it was very hard for them to sell DRM-free to authors/author's agents/etc. Cf the mp3 market - started all DRM-d up, then slowly started to unclench over the last couple of years.
johnnytruant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket requires DRM exclusivity before they will license their ebook reader on EInk devices. So Adobe Digital Editions won't be ported to the iLiad (or to the Cybook), and unless Adobe's DRM is cracked it will never be possible to read Secure Adobe ebooks on the iLiad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
iRex can always drop Mobi and put Adobe's Reader instead. Or they can offer two versions of firmware.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
johnnytruant
johnnytruant doesn't litterjohnnytruant doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad, Aura HD
Wow, that sucks pretty hard. I guess the more popular secure ePub is, the more likely it is someone will crack it, though. I'll stick to .mobis for now then.

thanks for the info.

igor - but then I won't be able to read all my existing mobipocket books, surely? Nice that the industry appears so focussed on making sure as many people as possible can read their books in as unrestricted a fashion as possible. OH HANG ON.
johnnytruant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
MobiPocket requires DRM exclusivity before they will license their ebook reader on EInk devices. So Adobe Digital Editions won't be ported to the iLiad (or to the Cybook), and unless Adobe's DRM is cracked it will never be possible to read Secure Adobe ebooks on the iLiad.
It's possible to break Adobe DRM, of course.
It's just a matter of time.

I'm sure I can "iliadize" a medium-sized novel in a couple of hours...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert