Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
jens92
jens92 began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX T68 Plus
Question about reading and listening text simultaneously.

Hi!

I am really new with E-readers as I received my ONYX BOOX T68 PLUS last week. It has exceeded my expectations and I have been spending more time with it than I thought I would

The main reason I chose the T68 PLUS, was because it had the 3.5mm headphone jack and open Android. Besides reading books, I was planning to use the device to learn Russian, by reading and listening Russian texts simultaneously.

So now I am asking if anybody knows instructions or an app which would make it possible? I only found instructions for the TTS, but it's not the same...
jens92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens92 View Post
Hi!
I only found instructions for the TTS, but it's not the same...
Why not, for me it is the same (reading and having the reader read the text aloud at the same time).
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens92 View Post
So now I am asking if anybody knows instructions or an app which would make it possible? I only found instructions for the TTS, but it's not the same...
I know Amazon/Audible have it so you can use "immersion reading" with their devices and apps (ie Kindle for Android) and listen to the audiobook while following along with the text (as long as the book offers Whispersync for Voice anyway), but I don't know if there's another way to do this. I'm just not sure on what if any content is available in Russian from those sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Why not, for me it is the same (reading and having the reader read the text aloud at the same time).
I would imaging that when trying to learn a language hearing a person actually speak it would be much more useful than hearing a TTS voice speak it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The default TTS voices on Android (particularly older versions like Onyx uses) are not very good. Ivona is much better, but I don't think they offer Russian voice in Google Play (only on Fire tablets). I think there's a Russian voice from SVOX, so that might be worth a try.

Immersion reading with Kindle app is no solution as there are few titles in languages other than English. In fact it looks like there are about 2700 in German but none in any other language, which is odd. Probably something to do with regional copyright restrictions.

The Kindle app for Android does at least have Translate feature.

One could do worse than to get the $50 Fire tablet just for good Russian TTS. Though a Kindle might be better because it has a decent Russian-English dictionary (including indication of which vowel gets stressed)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:01 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@jens92:

Daisy offers a free Windows ePub to ePub3 Audiobook converter that allows you to convert ePub2 books to ePub3 books with embedded audio files.

The generated ePub3 books can be "read" with iBooks, the Android/iOS versions of Menestrello and Readium.

However, the interface of the Tobi app is rather confusing, to put it mildly. In order to be able to use it, you'd obviously also have to install a suitable Russian TTS voice.

I tested it some time ago and generated a sample file with English, French and German audio segments.

If you have advanced technical skills you could also use the Icarus Sigil plugin provided by the developer of Menestrello, Alberto Pettarin (AiPe), and generate your own ePub3 audio book from Librivox files.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert