Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
Sony Reader to be introduced in Holland in 2009

According to the Dutch newspaper de Telegraaf, the Sony Reader will be introduced in the Netherlands early next year.

No details were given yet. The Sony Reader will probably be sold through one major retailer. A Sony spokesman told the newspaper that the introduction will be 'a big event' -- with lots of marketing power.

Related: Sony Reader conquers Europe - Germany is next, Sony Reader on pre-order at the Fnac (France)
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
The interest is growing here.
More people have been asking me about my sony lately
and there is a growing awareness of the e-ink devices
The only problem I see here in Holland is that there are
few dutch e -books available so they'll have to get to work on that fast.
Interesting development all the same.
Has anybody any idea how many dutch mr members are around?
I live in amsterdam and the only reader I've seen so far is my own.
And the Iliad in the showroom, way too expensive and not half as cute as my Sony.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
The interest is growing here.
More people have been asking me about my sony lately
and there is a growing awareness of the e-ink devices
The only problem I see here in Holland is that there are
few dutch e -books available so they'll have to get to work on that fast.
Interesting development all the same.
Has anybody any idea how many dutch mr members are around?
I live in amsterdam and the only reader I've seen so far is my own.
And the Iliad in the showroom, way too expensive and not half as cute as my Sony.
That's kind of wierd, considering both iRex and BeBook are based in Holland, I thought e-readers would be bigger there.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
That's kind of wierd, considering both iRex and BeBook are based in Holland, I thought e-readers would be bigger there.
Country of origin doesn't necessarily mean much. Eg, Sony are Japanese, but the Reader isn't sold in Japan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
according to the dutch newspapers, certain libraries are offering ebooks. But I couldnt' find more info on the format of those.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
according to the dutch newspapers, certain libraries are offering ebooks. But I couldnt' find more info on the format of those.
http://search.overdrive.com/

The URL above lists some countries and the location and names of the libraries therein which lend ebooks. Holland is not on this list but may be on another similar scheme.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
http://search.overdrive.com/

The URL above lists some countries and the location and names of the libraries therein which lend ebooks. Holland is not on this list but may be on another similar scheme.
I'd say holland won't be listed yet, because according to the news, http://www.biblion.nl is going to develop a new portal for the libraries. If it doesn't exist yet, it shouldn't be listed anyway.

According to the news, the lending out of ebooks will be the same as normal books. Libraries will buy licenses of books, which allows x-amount of ebooks to be lend out (downloaded) at a time.

Just wondering how and when you have to "take it back". I hope they don't make a wraparound application which let you "delete" the ebook...
Old 09-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Just wondering how and when you have to "take it back". I hope they don't make a wraparound application which let you "delete" the ebook...
Time limited DRM. It stops working a set time after you "check it out". Typically 14 or 21 days. Both PDF and MobiPocket DRM support this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I can't see how this can be 'large'.. You really have to work in a PR department to get that feeling with such an old product.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
mazzeltjes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I can't see how this can be 'large'.. You really have to work in a PR department to get that feeling with such an old product.
An old product for those in the know
Old 09-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
An old product for those in the know
Well, that is definately true.. Maybe we might see some price lowerings due to this marketing campaign..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #12
mazzeltjes
Addict

Quote:
I'd say holland won't be listed yet, because according to the news, http://www.biblion.nl is going to develop a new portal for the libraries. If it doesn't exist yet, it shouldn't be listed anyway.

According to the news, the lending out of ebooks will be the same as normal books. Libraries will buy licenses of books, which allows x-amount of ebooks to be lend out (downloaded) at a time.
At the rate they intend to release e-books through the portal,some hundreds
every year, it's going to be 2100 before it's worthwhile to join.
This is actually my main fear with the introduction of e-reading in Holland:
not enough up to date books and too few dutch.
I think sony would do well to keep this in mind,
The chances of the reader being a succes with only english language books
on offer are minimal.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #13
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
At the rate they intend to release e-books through the portal,some hundreds
every year, it's going to be 2100 before it's worthwhile to join.
This is actually my main fear with the introduction of e-reading in Holland:
not enough up to date books and too few dutch.
I think sony would do well to keep this in mind,
The chances of the reader being a succes with only english language books
on offer are minimal.
Yeah, Holland is slow. Like everything else. Slowest release of new technology, slowest intake of new fashion...

Maybe a bit of gray downloadable content would help boost the popularity.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yeah, Holland is slow. Like everything else. Slowest release of new technology, slowest intake of new fashion...
Yes, I heard your gals just started wearing hoop skirts.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
mazzeltjes
Addict

Quote:
slowest rate of joining the 21st century