Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Okay, so what species are you?
Human 10 17.54%
Nominal 4 7.02%
The blue one, next to the fish 10 17.54%
Squirrel 2 3.51%
Cat 2 3.51%
Dog 5 8.77%
That's a personal question! 12 21.05%
Animal 3 5.26%
Vegetable 1 1.75%
Mineral 3 5.26%
Gibbon 2 3.51%
Duck 1 1.75%
moderator 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #61
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
What is SL?
yes, what *is* SL ??
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #62
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
What is SL?
Oh .... sorry, I just assumed .... sorry ... sorry.

SL is short for "Second Life." It is an online multi-user "game" (of sorts ... it's not really a game, per se, it is more whatever you want it to be).

Anyway, it's free to sign up and play, although if you get a paid in account it is easier to do things and go places in the game.

You can pretty much be whatever you want and do whatever you want in the game. There are areas that are devoted to particular types of literature, or to war games, or to science and education. Some of the universities have "islands" in the game ... and they actually conduct classes there.

People from all over the world play (so purchasing a translator can be a must if you like to wander around "the world"). Some major cities have islands ... the ones for Venice and Paris are especially nice. I recently base jumped off of the Eiffel Tower .... loads of fun.

In the game (in case any of you around here play) my name is Igraine McMillan. I have a furniture store, and a lovely home out on a private island ... complete with swimming pool and a dog ("Riley"). This last winter, I purchased a weather machine, made it show on my island and froze the pond so I could have a skating party. That's me in my human form, practicing my skating prior to the party.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_005.gif
Views:	255
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	13760  
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #63
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i thought you said you were a hedgehog ?? i'm so confused. or is it *you* who are confused ??
Old 06-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #64
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Shhh... We try not to talk about that.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #65
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

My favorite spot to read is an outdoor cafe just off of St. Mark's Square in Venice. It's quiet in the mornings .... very peaceful.

Yeah ... yeah, I know .... you can all laugh your asses off now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	St Marks Square.gif
Views:	262
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	13761  
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #66
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, great. Another way to spend all my time avoiding work.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #67
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i thought you said you were a hedgehog ?? i'm so confused. or is it *you* who are confused ??
Some days I'm a hedgehog ... some days a cat ... sometimes I'm human, or a dragon. It sort of depends on where I'm going and what I want to do.

For example, if they are having dragon riding contests over in the areas where the "Dragon Riders of Pern" is the major theme ... then I'll turn into a dragon, put on my saddle, grab a human rider and go off to burn threads.

Or, if I just want to roll down a few hills ... I become a hedgehog. One time ... I became an anthropomorphic cat with wings and flew around London ... just for giggles. I've even been a Martian and flown a flying saucer.

You are whatever your imagination makes you. It's that sort of place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wm1.gif
Views:	265
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	13762  
Old 06-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #68
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Oh, great. Another way to spend all my time avoiding work.
i thought you had finally abandoned all pretense of working ?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #69
pshrynk

Quote:
i thought you had finally abandoned all pretense of working ?
Yes, but now the chronophages are becoming canibalistic cannibalistic starting to eat each other.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #70
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Yes, but now the chronophages are becoming canibalistic cannibalistic starting to eat each other.
Someone's eating into my time...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #71
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I used to spend a ton of time in Second Life. Now I live in a place with pretty poor internet service, and the lag is too annoying. So I spend all my time at Mobilread instead.

In SL, I'm "Nekokami Dragonfly." Usually my avatar looks more-or-less like me in RL ("real life"). Or so I've been told by people who've met me first in SL and then were able to recognize me on meeting me in RL....

I never had a cat avatar, though. I was trying to work out how to build one back when I was in SL a lot, and never finished the project. Did you build or buy yours?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #72
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Sorry I couldn't meet you, neko-neko-chan-chan. Maybe next time. Based on the results of this trip, I suspect I'll be in CT frequently. I look exactly like my avatar.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #73
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Sorry I couldn't meet you, neko-neko-chan-chan. Maybe next time. Based on the results of this trip, I suspect I'll be in CT frequently. I look exactly like my avatar.
including the plane.

--zelda (who looks exactly like her avatar as well.)
Old 06-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #74
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I used to spend a ton of time in Second Life. Now I live in a place with pretty poor internet service, and the lag is too annoying. So I spend all my time at Mobilread instead.

In SL, I'm "Nekokami Dragonfly." Usually my avatar looks more-or-less like me in RL ("real life"). Or so I've been told by people who've met me first in SL and then were able to recognize me on meeting me in RL....

I never had a cat avatar, though. I was trying to work out how to build one back when I was in SL a lot, and never finished the project. Did you build or buy yours?
I bought mine and then modified it. I am much better at building furniture than I am at avatars. My human avatar looks like me about 30 years ago. But then, I'm constantly changing my hair color or skin color to suit my mood.

I will have to look for you ingame (although I'm not on as much as I used to be). That is the nice thing about having between 4-6 screens hooked up to the PC at any time. I can be having a conversation in SL and hanging out here at the same time.

Yes, 4-6 screens. Usually only four, but there are times that I set up an additional two. A lot of my work demands me seeing more than one electronic document at a time, and trying to page between them and keep everything straight is a major pain in the arse.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #75
pshrynk

Quote:
NOOOOOOO !!! no hedgehog predators !!! leave the hedgehogs alone !!!

then again... if these are the *only* hedgehog predators you plan to introduce, we really shouldn't have a problem.

love,
zelda (i love hedgehogs. they're my favorite. i prefer them alive and un-squushed.)

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness