Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
VocaLizard
VocaLizard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre 1.30.0 will not start

Since the update from 1.29 to 1.30, I have been having repeated problems with calibre. At first, I thought it was because I had changed one of my libraries to a name that included commas - my husband mentioned that it might be a problem since Python uses commas as an integral part of its coding. Indeed, once I changed that, I was able to get 1.30 working. But then it stopped again. Then, we figured that it was maybe because I had the 32-bit version installed on my 64-bit system. I installed the 64-bit version, it worked, great! In each of these cases where it "worked," I mean, it started up once. But then it would get hung up. And I'd have to force it closed (after it would stay hung up for over 5 minutes without doing anything). And I wouldn't be able to open it again.

I've tried uninstalling it, then reinstalling. No beans. Then uninstalling, running Ccleaner, reinstalling. No luck. Uninstalling, running Ccleaner, Norton, rebooting, and reinstalling. Still no luck. What happens, is when I start it up, it shows in Processes that it's running, but under Applications, it's not even there. And where I'm supposed to see a splash screen of books as it's loading, with a clear background, I see the books, but a black square as a background. I've let it sit for over 10 minutes, trying to load, but nothing works. I've tried doing a system restore, as far back as I've been able to do (I can only seem to go back a couple of days, at this point), and that doesn't seem to fix it, either.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit. I was upgrading from calibre 1.29, which worked with no problems (and I upgrade calibre constantly - I've never had problems before), and the only plugins I use are Alf's DeDRM tools, to back up my collection.

I've tried browsing these forums to find anyone with a similar issue, and I will continue to do so, but I don't see anything like this.

Thank you for any help!
VocaLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Review this section of the FAQ you might find your answer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run calibre as

calibre-debug -g

in a command prompt that might provide us with more info about what is causing your issues.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
VocaLizard

Well, I don't know if this is what you want to see, since I can't copy and paste the text at the command prompt, and since it's still hung up as I type this, but here's what it says after I typed the ">calibre-debug -g" command.

calibre 1.30 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...

That's all it has.

Does this provide any assistance?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
VocaLizard

I tried doing the same thing, only running the cmd as admin, and it popped up the same thing... except rather than just trying to load calibre, it popped up an error, saying that it failed to create a library.

Maybe it has to do with the library name again? The exact wording of the error message is:

"Failed to create library at: u"Z:\\E-books\\Liz's eBooks\\Knit-Spin-Dye".

I don't know what the "u" at the beginning has anything to do with.

The Z: is a network drive, rather than my local drive. The E-books directory, clearly, is where my husband and I keep our eBooks, and Liz's eBooks are mine as opposed to his. Knit-Spin-Dye is just the category that it was last open to.

Again, any help is appreciated! Thank you so much!
Advert
Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VocaLizard View Post
The Z: is a network drive, rather than my local drive. The E-books directory, clearly, is where my husband and I keep our eBooks, and Liz's eBooks are mine as opposed to his. Knit-Spin-Dye is just the category that it was last open to.
You have been lucky thus far, copy the library to a local drive. While it may work Calibre does not support running the library from a network location. See this FAQ section for details.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
VocaLizard

Ahh, you know, I hadn't made that connection before. I had gotten it to work on a network drive before, but it's possible I'd just made the swap more recently.

I'll keep it local, but then I'll just keep a backup kept on the network in case the computer crashes.

Thank you so much! I don't know why I'd not put this together before now. You're right, I must have just been really lucky.

Tags
1.30.0, 64-bit, calibre