Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Transonic
Enthusiast
Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle 4 NT, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Problems with Kobo Mini

I received my new Kobo Mini ereader last Monday 29/7/2013. As soon as I plugged it into my computer the Kobo desktop said it could not connect to the reader and Windows said the disk needed formatting before it can be used. I have been in contact with Kobo C/S in Canada and nothing they suggested worked (factory reset, different cable,different usb plugs and 3 different computers) I wondered if any one else with this problem has been able to solve it? Maybe there is some thing else I can try. I have a Kobo Touch for 2 years and a Kindle 4 and both work perfectly with my computer.
Transonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transonic View Post
I received my new Kobo Mini ereader last Monday 29/7/2013. As soon as I plugged it into my computer the Kobo desktop said it could not connect to the reader and Windows said the disk needed formatting before it can be used. I have been in contact with Kobo C/S in Canada and nothing they suggested worked (factory reset, different cable, different usb plugs and 3 different computers) I wondered if any one else with this problem has been able to solve it? Maybe there is some thing else I can try. I have a Kobo Touch for 2 years and a Kindle 4 and both work perfectly with my computer.
It sounds as if you have already tried most of the possible solutions and the problem is internal to your Mini. At this point, I'd suggest a replacement unit is your best solution.

If you purchased the Mini from a local retailer, you may still be within their warranty/exchange period -- around here, it seems to be 2 weeks to 30 days for the brick and mortar stores after which they refer you to Kobo though the local Target seems to have the shortest time at 1 week.

As you mention Kobo customer service in Canada, that suggests you are outside Canada and should be talking with Kobo about a warranty replacement unit.

Good luck.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Transonic
Enthusiast
Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It sounds as if you have already tried most of the possible solutions and the problem is internal to your Mini. At this point, I'd suggest a replacement unit is your best solution.

If you purchased the Mini from a local retailer, you may still be within their warranty/exchange period -- around here, it seems to be 2 weeks to 30 days for the brick and mortar stores after which they refer you to Kobo though the local Target seems to have the shortest time at 1 week.

As you mention Kobo customer service in Canada, that suggests you are outside Canada and should be talking with Kobo about a warranty replacement unit.

Good luck.

Regards,
David
Thanks for your reply. I am in Melbourne Australia and I purchased the mini from a local company on line. I will contact them for a replacement unit.
Regards
Roger
Old 08-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Have you tried to connect to wifi then register your reader with Kobo. It should then update your reader over wifi. Might be able to connect to your computer then.

What version of windows is on your computer?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
Transonic
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Have you tried to connect to wifi then register your reader with Kobo. It should then update your reader over wifi. Might be able to connect to your computer then.

What version of windows is on your computer?
Thanks for the suggestion I have done as you suggest and over wifi it updates to 2.6.1 but my Windows 8 computer still doesnt recognize the kobo mini. I wish there was some other way of loading free ebooks onto the kobo other than by usb.
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I wish there was some other way of loading free ebooks onto the kobo other than by usb.
You know the Mini has a web browser right? You can use it to download books directly from places like Project Gutenberg. You can also load books into Calibre, start the content server, and download them to the Mini via the browser. There are some advantages to doing it via USB such as being able to send customised covers and set some metadata, but downloading via the browser is an option if USB is not working.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Transonic
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
You know the Mini has a web browser right? You can use it to download books directly from places like Project Gutenberg. You can also load books into Calibre, start the content server, and download them to the Mini via the browser. There are some advantages to doing it via USB such as being able to send customised covers and set some metadata, but downloading via the browser is an option if USB is not working.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried and was able to download from gutenberg.org with no problem. I have asked the online store for a new Kobo Mini as its brand new but they dont seem to interested. Buyer beware!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried and was able to download from gutenberg.org with no problem. I have asked the online store for a new Kobo Mini as its brand new but they dont seem to interested. Buyer beware!
Don't give up! Your Mini isn't working the way it was intended to, so it should be seen as defective (at least partly). The store has to understand that.

Can you try to plug it into another computer? That way, you'll know if the bad communication is only between one computer and the Mini.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
From your description, I think it is faulty. You said it was a local on-line shop, which means under Australian law they have to replace or refund. Don't take no for an answer.

Having said that, I can think of a report that someone found that the internal SD card was faulty. They replaced that, put a new image on it and everything worked OK after that. If you want to try, there are instructions here to open the Mini and do this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Transonic
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Don't give up! Your Mini isn't working the way it was intended to, so it should be seen as defective (at least partly). The store has to understand that.

Can you try to plug it into another computer? That way, you'll know if the bad communication is only between one computer and the Mini.
Yes I tried it in my Toshiba laptop running Win 8 and in my Acer netbook running Win 7 with no joy at all.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
Transonic
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From your description, I think it is faulty. You said it was a local on-line shop, which means under Australian law they have to replace or refund. Don't take no for an answer.

Having said that, I can think of a report that someone found that the internal SD card was faulty. They replaced that, put a new image on it and everything worked OK after that. If you want to try, there are instructions here to open the Mini and do this.
I have been unable to find a telephone number for this company. They have a web site which has an enquiry form on it but it appears that when you submit an enquiry it goes straight through to Kobo c/s in Canada. The reply I got back from Kobo c/s in Canada said "as its under store warranty we cant help you, contact the retailer!!!!@" which I am unable to do. You may know the company concerned they have the same name as a very well know bookseller here in Australia....but it turn out they are completely independent of the other well know company. If I had known this I would of gone to JB HiFi instead for my reader.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #12
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
If you purchased it using your credit card perhaps you can try and contact your card company to see if they are able to find contact details for the retailer. Sharing a name with a legitimate company almost makes it sound like it is not a legitimate company...
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
Transonic
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
If you purchased it using your credit card perhaps you can try and contact your card company to see if they are able to find contact details for the retailer. Sharing a name with a legitimate company almost makes it sound like it is not a legitimate company...
I purchased on my credit card via Paypal so I will wait a couple of days then open a Paypal dispute as the ereader is not fit for purpose. That may be the way to go. I agree it does appear this on-line retailer may not be a legitimate company.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I have been unable to find a telephone number for this company. They have a web site which has an enquiry form on it but it appears that when you submit an enquiry it goes straight through to Kobo c/s in Canada. The reply I got back from Kobo c/s in Canada said "as its under store warranty we cant help you, contact the retailer!!!!@" which I am unable to do. You may know the company concerned they have the same name as a very well know bookseller here in Australia....but it turn out they are completely independent of the other well know company. If I had known this I would of gone to JB HiFi instead for my reader.
Which one? Kobo list Mini's as available from Angus & Robertson, Collins and BookWorld. None of them are working at the moment. Collins is the only one responding, the others are unknown domains. From memory of the last time I looked at them, I thought two of them might have been the same site with a different theme.

If the contact from the site goes to Kobo in Canada, then it is their responsibility. At the least, they should be able to give you the correct contact details for the exchange.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #15
Transonic
Enthusiast

The company is angusandrobertson online. There web site FAQ states this;

Where Can I Find Your Stores?
Angus & Robertson Online is not affilated with the Angus & Robertson store network operated by Supanews and we are unable to answer any queries relating to stores through the contact us page.

If I had realized this earlier I would have gone to a bricks and mortar shop. It pays to do your homework before buying anything.