Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
New Touch & Mini problems !!!

...so I bought a new Touch to replace my 18 month old Touch on which the Touch screen suddenly failed a few weeks ago. As they are on discount I also bought a Mini.

At the end of the setup & synch via Kobo Desktop the screen on the Mini went blank and nothing I did made any difference.

I took it back to the store and ordered another.

I then tried setting up the new Touch and again at the end of this there was a problem. The screen went to "Restarting" and stopped there.

Again nothing I could do would change this.

I contacted Kobo but their suggestions, pinhole reset, factory reset, made no difference !!

I put it on recharge for over 5 hours, still no change.

Am I extremely unlucky with 2 bad Kobo's or did I do something wrong ?

I have to say that I followed the procedure as laid out in Kobo's instruction leaflet.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
...so I bought a new Touch to replace my 18 month old Touch on which the Touch screen suddenly failed a few weeks ago. As they are on discount I also bought a Mini.

At the end of the setup & synch via Kobo Desktop the screen on the Mini went blank and nothing I did made any difference.

I took it back to the store and ordered another.

I then tried setting up the new Touch and again at the end of this there was a problem. The screen went to "Restarting" and stopped there.

Again nothing I could do would change this.

I contacted Kobo but their suggestions, pinhole reset, factory reset, made no difference !!

I put it on recharge for over 5 hours, still no change.

Am I extremely unlucky with 2 bad Kobo's or did I do something wrong ?

I have to say that I followed the procedure as laid out in Kobo's instruction leaflet.
Could you possibly have a bad cable or USB port?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
My only questions might be how long did you wait in both cases, and what did you do?

If it makes you feel any better, I had a similar problem updating my Touch the other night and had to hold the power switch for ten seconds, then hold the paperclip reset and menu buttons in and power up to get a factory reset/restore back to the original firmware and update all over again. It happens. My Glo got the same update and installed it without a hitch. Go figure...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Could you possibly have a bad cable or USB port?

Helen
We are talking 2 brand new ereaders straight out of the box, each with it's own USB cable.

As for a bad port, I have no reason to think it has a problem as it is the main one I use for plugging other stuff in and when I plugged in each of the 2 ereaders they both said "connected and charging". Unfortunately straight out of the box there is no battery icon so no way of knowing it's charge.

I did change to another port at Kobo's request but there was no difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
My only questions might be how long did you wait in both cases, and what did you do?

If it makes you feel any better, I had a similar problem updating my Touch the other night and had to hold the power switch for ten seconds, then hold the paperclip reset and menu buttons in and power up to get a factory reset/restore back to the original firmware and update all over again. It happens. My Glo got the same update and installed it without a hitch. Go figure...
I tried many pinhole resets and as regards the factory reset, I followed Kobo's advice (online chat), held in the home button and slide the power button until the led's flash and the screen changes. Unfortunately the screen didn't change and only sometimes did any led's light up.

I then left them on charge for more than 4 hours but to no avail.

Common sense told me to charge them first for 4 hours but in Kobo's instruction leaflet charging is step 4, steps 1 - 3 are setting up via Kobo Desktop ?

I have re-ordered the Mini so I want to know if I did something wrong, and if so what is the correct method of setting it up ???
Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
mXb
Addict

...I just went to Kobo/help website to chat with them online but looks like they're closed for the night so I watched their "getting started" video.

Apart from not downloading Desktop, as of course I already have it, I followed there procedure ok right up to ejecting the ereader..... there is no mention of pre-charging it, so I am stumped as to why 2 brand new units failed the setup ?
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
From what I see, your devices are updating to the new firmwares. Are you doing it through WIFI or the desktop? If it was with the desktop software, can you try through WIFI?
As of now, many people are connecting to Kobo's servers to get the newly released update. Maybe you're connecting at a busy time. I've had some sync trouble last week and I thought it was because of the high traffic.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
We are talking 2 brand new ereaders straight out of the box, each with it's own USB cable.

As for a bad port, I have no reason to think it has a problem as it is the main one I use for plugging other stuff in and when I plugged in each of the 2 ereaders they both said "connected and charging". Unfortunately straight out of the box there is no battery icon so no way of knowing it's charge.

I did change to another port at Kobo's request but there was no difference

I tried many pinhole resets and as regards the factory reset, I followed Kobo's advice (online chat), held in the home button and slide the power button until the led's flash and the screen changes. Unfortunately the screen didn't change and only sometimes did any led's light up.

I then left them on charge for more than 4 hours but to no avail.

Common sense told me to charge them first for 4 hours but in Kobo's instruction leaflet charging is step 4, steps 1 - 3 are setting up via Kobo Desktop ?

I have re-ordered the Mini so I want to know if I did something wrong, and if so what is the correct method of setting it up ???
I doubt you did anything wrong, bit of a coincidence to have two like that, but these things have happened to other people more than once. (One person got 3 or 4 bad kindles in a row IIRC)

I set both my Mini and Aura up without charging, so I doubt that is it.

Better luck with the next one.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
mXb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
From what I see, your devices are updating to the new firmwares. Are you doing it through WIFI or the desktop? If it was with the desktop software, can you try through WIFI?
As of now, many people are connecting to Kobo's servers to get the newly released update. Maybe you're connecting at a busy time. I've had some sync trouble last week and I thought it was because of the high traffic.
I think you are missing the point. I didn't get through the setup so was unable to setup Wifi, and the problem happened after I ejected and disconnected from my pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I doubt you did anything wrong, bit of a coincidence to have two like that, but these things have happened to other people more than once. (One person got 3 or 4 bad kindles in a row IIRC)

I set both my Mini and Aura up without charging, so I doubt that is it.

Better luck with the next one.

Helen
I just spent about 2 hours "Chatting" online with Kobo help (can't be exact as the email from them with the "Chat Transcript" was.....blank !)
After the usual pinhole resets and factory resets all of which didn't work the Touch screen stubbornly stayed on the "Restarting" screen.
He then said that they advise customers to "pre-charge their ereaders for at least 4 hours before setting up".
I said that pre-charging was the most common sense thing to do with a new battery powered device but was not mentioned in the instruction leaflets with the ereaders until AFTER setting up and reading your first book, and foolishly I decided to follow Kobo's instructions. Also it is not mentioned at all in the Kobo "Getting Started" video, so where precisely does Kobo "advise their customers to charge their ereaders before set up" ?

After a delay he came back and admitted that they don't !

So when the replacement Mini arrives I shall charge it for 5 hours then try setting it up. If that doesn't work I'll get a Nook instead. At least I'll be able to read my DRM-free epubs.....I believe !

Last edited by mXb; 06-13-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I think you are missing the point. I didn't get through the setup so was unable to setup Wifi, and the problem happened after I ejected and disconnected from my pc.
actually samhy was referring to the two methods to setting up. if you choose wifi, you DON'T connect to your computer AT ALL during setup. If you choose wifi, very near the start of the setup process (uhm..perhaps after the first and second steps of choosing your language and typing in your kobo account email) you already enter your wifi information.

you mentioned your computer, so I'm guessing you chose the non-wifi method. the thing is, if you had problems with the computer based method, next time you should try setting up without using your computer at all, ie: the wifi method. because maybe the issue is kobo computer software related, etc etc.

edit: on the setup brochure provided they only give instructions doing your setup through the computer and kobo software....but if you just turn the kobo on, the first thing you are asked is "do you want to setup by computer or by internet/wifi?" or something similar. so samhy was suggesting choosing wifi.

Last edited by Uschiekid; 06-13-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You were right, I didn't get that part, but Uschiekid is also right in saying that the next step is trying to connect through WIFI only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
you mentioned your computer, so I'm guessing you chose the non-wifi method. the thing is, if you had problems with the computer based method, next time you should try setting up without using your computer at all, ie: the wifi method. because maybe the issue is kobo computer software related, etc etc.
When starting the Kobo, you have to select a language (I hope your device will go that far) and then you can choose the set up through WIFI or your computer. Being a Linux user, I can only set my Kobo up via WIFI, so believe me that works fine
Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
mXb
Addict

Quote:
You were right, I didn't get that part, but Uschiekid is also right in saying that the next step is trying to connect through WIFI only.

When starting the Kobo, you have to select a language (I hope your device will go that far) and then you can choose the set up through WIFI or your computer. Being a Linux user, I can only set my Kobo up via WIFI, so believe me that works fine
Yes I took it that he was talking about the current Touch, which of course I can't do anything with except what I have done, taken back to the store for a refund.

Setting up via Wifi is an interesting suggestion, I didn't know you could set up that way.
I presume this also applies to the Kobo Mini which at the moment is the only one I have ordered (but I am seriously looking at maybe getting the NOOK Simple Touch as well)

After set up via Wifi can you revert back to using it via Kobo Desktop if you decide you prefer that ?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Yes I took it that he was talking about the current Touch, which of course I can't do anything with except what I have done, taken back to the store for a refund.

Setting up via Wifi is an interesting suggestion, I didn't know you could set up that way.
I presume this also applies to the Kobo Mini which at the moment is the only one I have ordered (but I am seriously looking at maybe getting the NOOK Simple Touch as well)

After set up via Wifi can you revert back to using it via Kobo Desktop if you decide you prefer that ?
You can use Kobo desktop or wifi as you wish. You are not locked into using one or the other for updates. Note however that you can get updates "automatically" if you are logged in to your kobo account on your reader and wifi is "on". Some users prefer to vet the update on the forum before letting it go through and therefore leave the wifi "off".
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
You can use Kobo desktop or wifi as you wish. You are not locked into using one or the other for updates. Note however that you can get updates "automatically" if you are logged in to your kobo account on your reader and wifi is "on". Some users prefer to vet the update on the forum before letting it go through and therefore leave the wifi "off".
you can still do that when synching via wifi...just choose "later" after it's downloaded and attach to the computer afterwards and delete the update files. probably not true when first setting up. but afterwards.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #14
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Yes. The set up, be it done with the desktop software or through WIFI, will update your device to the latest firmware*, will connect it to your account and will download the ebooks you have bought from Kobo. After that, each time you're free to choose the computer or the WIFI way to manage your books. Using the desktop software or the WIFI at one point or another won't lock you up into anything

* some people don't want that. If that's your case you can find some useful threads in the Kobo forum
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
mXb
Addict

Quote:
Yes. The set up, be it done with the desktop software or through WIFI, will update your device to the latest firmware*, will connect it to your account and will download the ebooks you have bought from Kobo. After that, each time you're free to choose the computer or the WIFI way to manage your books. Using the desktop software or the WIFI at one point or another won't lock you up into anything

* some people don't want that. If that's your case you can find some useful threads in the Kobo forum
Thanks to samhy for suggesting setup via Wifi

As the Mini's are still on the low price offer I just couldn't resist another crack at getting one to work !

It was touch and go for awhile, the setup via Wifi was easier than via pc.

Again it was at the end when it was almost finished that things nearly came unglued.

The screen started quickly alternating between the smiley faced ereader icon restart screen and the black "Updating" screen in multiple languages.

This went on for what seemed like ages but probably 3-4 minutes.

I started to think it was locked in a program loop, but just as I was looking for my trusty hammer, it finished the setup and hey presto a working Mini !