Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 01:27 AM   #1921
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The re-emergence of unlimited data plans is a bit of a game changer in that regard.
Yes, it is. Being Canadian, I don't have actual unlimited. But it's enough I never worry about it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:33 AM   #1922
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
The re-emergence of unlimited data plans is a bit of a game changer in that regard.
I don't have unlimited, but I have 4GB/mo +rollover, which I couldn't make a dent in unless I was tethering. Using navigation, streaming music, downloading audiobooks, and on rare occasions watching a video without having to worry about it is outstanding.

On topic, my re-listen of the entire Foreigner series should wrap up right on time for the finale of the current trilogy coming out next month. I started the re-listen months ago with no idea when the next book was coming, so it's just serendipity.

The second pass has been rewarding: I'm rediscovering whole characters I glossed over the first time, getting a much fuller picture of others, and following all the factions of the aishidi'tat in much more detail. On the one hand, the series is very much comfort food, but the level of consistent detail and texture to the world is impressive. There's a real sense of historicity around the events and the people involved, and Cherryh definitely has me hooked with the cliffhanger from the last book.

I'm pretty sure it was CRussel who turned me on to this series, in this thread, so thanks for that
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #1923
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to the next Foreigner book, due out in April. Whether I listen first or read first is always a tough decision.

Last edited by CRussel; 03-26-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #1924
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I listened to His Bloody Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae by Graeme Macrae Burnet, narrated by Antony Ferguson. This is a novel masquerading as true crime, presented in a series of documents and statements about a triple murder in Scotland in 1869. The bulk of it purports to be Roderick's personal account of the murders and the events leading up to them, written at the behest of his lawyer as he awaits trial after entering an insanity plea.

It was fascinating, on many levels, with an excellent narrator. I have to keep reminding myself that the story is fiction and I can't Google to find out more about the case!

I don't pay much attention to awards, but His Bloody Project was shortlisted for the 2016 Man Booker Prize.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #1925
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm listening to the first of Trollope's Palliser novels, Can You Forgive Her?, read by the actor Timothy West. West is new to me as a narrator and he's terrific; in a class with Vance, Davidson, and John Lee. I'm sorry to see that he's pretty much done just Trollope, so that will have to hold me.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #1926
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I just got the new Foreigner book by CJ Cherryh, Convergence. I noticed it was decent WhisperSync price, so I cancelled my pre-order at the last moment and got both the eBook and the WhisperSync'd Audible book instead.

The narrator for all of the Foreigner books is Daniel Thomas May, and he's superb. I find myself reading the eBook with the echos of his voices in my head. They are simply perfect.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #1927
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

I'll be on the road today, so I should finish Bunker Hill: A City, A Siege, A Revolution by Nathaniel Philbrick (read by Chris Sorensen) as there is but one more chapter left in the book.

I've also started The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (read by Jim Dale); a strange fantasy involving children as pawns in a wager between competing magicians.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #1928
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'm currently reading Marry Poppins by P.L. Travers as narrated by Sophie Thompson. She's a great narrator and I'm enjoying the book so far more than the film... which seems not the be the majority opinion as I've read a good many reviews saying this is a case of film being better than book. This may seem odd but the film never seemed so very British to me for some reason, more a Hollywood Americanised imagining of Britain (which of course it was, heh). The book feels more British (of course), and also gives me Potter vibes which makes me think Travers might've inspired Rowling (for instance, there's the floating aunt in Potter and the floating uncle in Poppins...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I have a lot of waiting-to-be-read audiobooks on my computer, but I only load books onto my mp3 player as I read them--no future reads. In addition to my disinclination to ever abandon a book, with Find Me I was out and about, with no other listening options.
I have the wishlist at Audible and I've now got the yearly plan so a bunch of credits sitting there, and I just buy and upload to my phone as needed, so no waiting-to-be-reads. I also have the same disinclination to never abandon a book; it just feels wrong! Usually though, I'm careful enough in picking for it not to be a problem but there's been a few whammies I've soldiered through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I don't have unlimited, but I have 4GB/mo +rollover, which I couldn't make a dent in unless I was tethering. Using navigation, streaming music, downloading audiobooks, and on rare occasions watching a video without having to worry about it is outstanding.
I have a similar 5GB/mo + rollover. I stream a lot of music through Amazon Music Unlimited but the only thing that seems to make a dent is if I happen to watch a lot of video in a month, which is rare. Or turning off wifi for whatever reason at home and forgetting to turn it back on for days or weeks. It's happened and the results weren't pretty, heh.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #1929
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm currently reading Marry Poppins by P.L. Travers as narrated by Sophie Thompson. She's a great narrator and I'm enjoying the book so far more than the film... which seems not the be the majority opinion as I've read a good many reviews saying this is a case of film being better than book. This may seem odd but the film never seemed so very British to me for some reason, more a Hollywood Americanised imagining of Britain (which of course it was, heh). The book feels more British (of course), and also gives me Potter vibes which makes me think Travers might've inspired Rowling (for instance, there's the floating aunt in Potter and the floating uncle in Poppins...).
The book and the film are so different that it barely seems fair to compare them. I love the film because it's Disney, it's a musical, and it has a great cast. The book is an entirely different experience, with its own charm.

Quote:
I have the wishlist at Audible and I've now got the yearly plan so a bunch of credits sitting there, and I just buy and upload to my phone as needed, so no waiting-to-be-reads. I also have the same disinclination to never abandon a book; it just feels wrong! Usually though, I'm careful enough in picking for it not to be a problem but there's been a few whammies I've soldiered through.
I have been reading more clunkers since I started to use the library a lot more. Since I'm not paying for the book, I've been less picky, and thus less happy with some of the choices. Plus I've tended to put a lot of books on hold without much thought, and then I feel obliged to read them when they come through.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:43 AM   #1930
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll be on the road today, so I should finish Bunker Hill: A City, A Siege, A Revolution by Nathaniel Philbrick (read by Chris Sorensen) as there is but one more chapter left in the book.

I've also started The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (read by Jim Dale); a strange fantasy involving children as pawns in a wager between competing magicians.
Let us know what you think of the Night Circus. I've noticed that since Jim Dale reads it, but never pulled the trigger.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:49 AM   #1931
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

I have a similar 5GB/mo + rollover. I stream a lot of music through Amazon Music Unlimited but the only thing that seems to make a dent is if I happen to watch a lot of video in a month, which is rare. Or turning off wifi for whatever reason at home and forgetting to turn it back on for days or weeks. It's happened and the results weren't pretty, heh.
What you need is a couple of 15 year olds on your plan, that will put a dent in it big time! I'm think of putting the limit back on them just to show some mercy to the phone company!
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #1932
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
What you need is a couple of 15 year olds on your plan, that will put a dent in it big time! I'm think of putting the limit back on them just to show some mercy to the phone company!
ROFLU!
Old 04-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #1933
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've also started on Burmese Days by George Orwell as narrated by Frederick Davidson, which book is this month's winner for our book club. I'm enjoying the way Davidson narrates; he can really bring out the humour of sentences with his ultra-dry and almost sarcastic and contemptuous delivery.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
ROFLU!
You've got me curious now- what is the 'U' for?
Old 04-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #1934
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Choose one: (Uncontrollably/uproariously/upchuckingly)
Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #1935
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Choose one: (Uncontrollably/uproariously/upchuckingly)
Thanks!

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations