Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-20-2022, 04:17 PM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Kobo Nia only $65 on Walmart right now

If anyone is interested in the Kobo Nia, there is a great offer on it on Walmart right now. Only $65. Great price for a back-up reader.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Nia-...i-Fi/441533441
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:35 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Wow! That's a nice deal.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:33 AM   #3
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
I'd still hate to recommend it over the Clara line, but for that price, I suppose this could be a good device to dip your toes into the Kobo world.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Nia still $100 from Kobo. Looks like WalMart clearing inventory. I guess that experiment was less than successful.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #5
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Didn't realize the first time, but this is being sold by a third party seller, not Walmart directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Nia still $100 from Kobo. Looks like WalMart clearing inventory. I guess that experiment was less than successful.
The Walmart/Rakuten partnership has only been in effect for four years, and has been fizzling out for at least two of them. None of the Walmarts near me ever had Kobo demo units, and while they did sell gift cards in-store for Kobo (under the "Walmart eBooks" label), they stopped selling them in-store over a year ago. I can only purchase digital giftcards these days.

I'll be bummed when it fizzles out completely, because those gift cards are the only way I'm currently able to load up my account balance and switch over to the UK store to grab books I can't get in the US.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Didn't realize the first time, but this is being sold by a third party seller, not Walmart directly.

The Walmart/Rakuten partnership has only been in effect for four years, and has been fizzling out for at least two of them. None of the Walmarts near me ever had Kobo demo units, and while they did sell gift cards in-store for Kobo (under the "Walmart eBooks" label), they stopped selling them in-store over a year ago. I can only purchase digital giftcards these days.

I'll be bummed when it fizzles out completely, because those gift cards are the only way I'm currently able to load up my account balance and switch over to the UK store to grab books I can't get in the US.
You can use eBooks.com to easily go from US to UK and you can use PayPal to pay so you can still get ePub that are UK only.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Walmart (itself) is still selling Nias for $100 -- it's Triplenet Pricing who is selling them for $65 (on Walmart's site).

EDIT: Looks like this was brought up by Cactus Chef, sorry about the redundancy.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:38 PM   #8
Cactus Chef
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can use eBooks.com to easily go from US to UK and you can use PayPal to pay so you can still get ePub that are UK only.
Thinking this would only help me if the book is DRM-free, no?

Let's say I wanna buy this book. Currently, I can load up my Kobo account with a US gift card, change my Payment Information around in the profile to switch it to London, pull up the book here, buy it, flip everything back, and now I'm back across the pond with a US account and the book safely in my library. I can then pull it off my Kobo and decrypt via DeDRM/Obok.

Going through ebooks.com and paying via PayPal would be easier (could just pay exactly the book price and not have to buy a gift card to the nearest ten dollar mark), but then the book would be under the ebooks.com encryption, right? Would the same tools be able to decrypt it? I've never had luck with downloading and decrypting via ADE--I've always stuck with pulling it directly off the device.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:15 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Going through ebooks.com and paying via PayPal would be easier (could just pay exactly the book price and not have to buy a gift card to the nearest ten dollar mark), but then the book would be under the ebooks.com encryption, right? Would the same tools be able to decrypt it? I've never had luck with downloading and decrypting via ADE--I've always stuck with pulling it directly off the device.
eBooks.com encryption is Adobe (ADE). I decrypt their books using the deACSM and deDRM plugins in Calibre. (Or I just read them directly with my PocketBook or Tolino eReaders — they have something like ADE built-in that can handle the acsm files and download the book.)
Old 10-22-2022, 03:55 AM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Walmart (itself) is still selling Nias for $100 -- it's Triplenet Pricing who is selling them for $65 (on Walmart's site).

EDIT: Looks like this was brought up by Cactus Chef, sorry about the redundancy.
That being the case, I wonder if these are refurbished units being sold.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:07 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That being the case, I wonder if these are refurbished units being sold.
I don't think so. I think this is a new (in sealed box) unit. Walmart specifically says it's eligible for 30 day returns (which is currently extended to January 31st for holiday shopping). I believe I've seen Triplenet advertise refurbished units, but they are specifically listed as refurbished (or "renewed").

I'm guessing the Nia's haven't sold well since the Clara HDs are so often put on sale. They probably just want to clear their stock.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:50 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why? I just use PayPal to buy UK books from Kobo. Works fine.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:02 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Currently, I can load up my Kobo account with a US gift card, change my Payment Information around in the profile to switch it to London, pull up the book here, buy it, flip everything back, and now I'm back across the pond with a US account and the book safely in my library. I can then pull it off my Kobo and decrypt via DeDRM/Obok.
Just don't save any payment information in your Kobo account. When you go to check out, it will offer you PayPal. That's what I do. It worked as of October 7, when I bought three T.E.D. Klein books.