Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #1
robroy47
robroy47 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Global Author Reset

I have been changing the author to match the author sort, that is lastname, firstname. I now regret that. Is there anyway to globally set author to firstname lastname. I can do it individually, but there are thousands of books.
robroy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
robroy47 - these are my thoughts.

First take a backup of what you have.

I would find a way to isolate authors with 2 part names - e.g. 'Dickens, Charles' and move them to a separate library. Probably need to use a regular expression search - see The search interface. I would then use the Bulk Metadata Edit, Search and Replace feature to reform the 2 part author names to FirstName LastName - e.g. Charles Dickens.

I would handle the remaining Authors, i.e. those with three or more part names individually - in the Manage Authors list. Probably have to handle books with multiple authors individually, and those with initials e.g. J. K. Rowling.

Then I would move the 2 part authors back to the original library

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Fix section of the Quality Check plugin will flip the selected (books) Authors

It does NOT handle the edge case of 1 right, 1 wrong (Multiple Authors). Those need TLC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It does NOT handle the edge case of 1 right, 1 wrong (Multiple Authors). Those need TLC
Just for fun I looked at using bulk S&R to solve this problem: multiple authors with only some of them incorrect. Under the assumption that any name containing a comma is LN, FN and wants to become FN LN, then using SR template mode with the template
Code:
program:
	list_re_group(field('authors'), '&', '.', '(.*)', '{$:swap_around_comma()}')
does the job. It processes each author in the list individually.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	160809
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
<snip>

Does the job. It processes each author in the list individually.

That's where I wanted to go, but I would have got there in a roundabout way; mixing templates and regexs is territory for me.

'swap around comma' bought 'ring around rosie' to mind.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, author sort, edit