Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #16
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Fosters (lager) and lime is a nice drink (although often denigrated).

India Pale Ale is my favourite beer though - it's lovely .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Beer = a malted, fermented barley drink

Ale = beer brewed at cellar temp

Lager = beer brewed at 72 degrees (f) or lower

Ale is generally darker, heavier, and more "robust"

Lager is generally lighter and fizzier

American "beer" (domestic swill) is carbonated yellow colored, tasteless water with alcohol added for effect, said effect being that you forget that you are drinking carbonated yellow colored, tasteless water with alcohol added for effect.
thanks for that explanation, although the whole question is still pretty abstract for me... i know the different between brune (dark), blanche (white) and blonde (blond ?) beers, but i just found out the other day there is also rousse (red) beer and now i'm all perturbed. so if we start talking about ale and lager too i'll just never get it all sorted it out in my head.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #18
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Chocolate beer
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #19
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Ale vs. Lager boils down to (ha) weather the yeast used to ferment the grains is top fermenting or bottom fermenting. Bottom fermenting yeast settles down to the bottom and does its work there. Lagers are bottom fermenting. They also ferment at lower temperatures. All major American beers are Lagers.

Top fermenting yeasts rise to the top. They work at room temperatures. They produce Ales. Most craft beers and micro-brews are ales.

"Beer" is really an all-inclusive term these days.

I much prefer ales, a claim made by most beer snobs these days.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #20
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
My favorite beer is vodka. Preferably Grey Goose.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #21
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'm on a day off, anyone got any good beer?
IfI can't persuade you to have a wee dram, then for you it has to be Old Peculier.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #22
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like ginger beer (alcoholic). I've brewed a few batches before (though not for a while...might get that started again).

Cheers,
Marc (homebrew is the best brew)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness