Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Busted Screen

So, it has finally happened to me. I dropped the jetBook accidentally while unpacking my briefcase from waist height to the carpet below. It was in its case--so I thought nothing of it--but now I see that the screen is busted. No crack that can be felt, but a huge black splotch over it.

It's been asked before, but might as well try again... ... anyone know where to get a replacement?

This is my nifty custom-dyed job too.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Check Amazon and New Egg for new readers. The odds are, even if you could buy the screen alone, you would pay pretty much what a new reader would cost and, at least, with a new reader, you would get a new warranty.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 10-09-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: To clarify response
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It's not likely that any after market parts supplier will sell a replacement screen for
less than the discounted sale prices we have seen. Wasn't there one with the Libre for
~$70? At least the same screen is used in several devices, it looks like even in the $99
MSRP "Mini".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
the prices on Libres and jbls seem to have been spiking (generally 130+). Even at MWave. Maybe so they won't undercut the Mini?

If it gets under 75 again, I'm pouncing.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I considered just buying a new one, but thought it would be worth a shot to see if anyone has heard of a screen source for, say, $30. That MINI looks interesting, though Nate's review wasn't particularly glowing. Anyone know if the quoted weight includes the batteries?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Kralik I believe even with the battery's it is the lightest of all the Jetbooks.

Not fond of converting my whole library to read them though.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Kralik
Guru

Presumably it will get multiple formats support once Ectaco gets working on better firmware. I know its the lightest, but just wondering if batteries were taken into consideration. jetBook LITE, for example, is heavier than the original when you include the batteries.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
File
File can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blue

http://www.borders.com/online/store/..._libre-ereader

borders, 99$ aluratek libre.
File is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Kralik, I suspect the best bet would be to purchase a used device. If the new devices are sold (on sale) for $70-90, perhaps a used one will go for something closer to your $30 target.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
So, it has finally happened to me. I dropped the jetBook accidentally while unpacking my briefcase from waist height to the carpet below. It was in its case--so I thought nothing of it--but now I see that the screen is busted. No crack that can be felt, but a huge black splotch over it.

It's been asked before, but might as well try again... ... anyone know where to get a replacement?

This is my nifty custom-dyed job too.
Kralik,

Where are you located? I have a Jetbook whose case is falling apart; the screen is still good though. If you are close, maybe we can figure something out.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Kralik, I suspect the best bet would be to purchase a used device. If the new devices are sold (on sale) for $70-90, perhaps a used one will go for something closer to your $30 target.
The most recent ones I've seen go for $60-80 still. (On ebay)
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Kralik,

Where are you located? I have a Jetbook whose case is falling apart; the screen is still good though. If you are close, maybe we can figure something out.

--
Bill
Case is falling apart, really? How?

I'm in the Pacific Northwest (US).
Old 10-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #13
sandanbob
sandanbob began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have the same issue as Kralik with my Aluratek. So, I think I will wait and watch as prices come down and features go up.
sandanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
Kralik
Guru

Now that it is broken and ebook readers in general are going down, I'm starting to think of other brands... that new 5" Sony looks niiiice...
Old 10-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Kralik, a year ago at this time, you were helping me decide! Whatever you choose, I recommend you wait till Thanksgiving weekend for the deals.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote