Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-21-2024, 05:36 AM   #151
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
No I haven’t bought a physical book for almost 15 years now. Once I went to eink I never went back.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 02:24 PM   #152
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro, TCL 40Nxtpaper, TCL Nxtpaper11
The last book I bought was in January 2020: "Forbidden Hollywood: The Pre-Code Era (1930-1934): When Sin Ruled the Movies"
That was a little bit over 4 years ago. I guess I don't buy printed books anymore.
Gormagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:42 AM   #153
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormagon View Post
The last book I bought was in January 2020: "Forbidden Hollywood: The Pre-Code Era (1930-1934): When Sin Ruled the Movies"
Terrific book (I also read it in January 2020) and probably worth buying a paper copy for the pictures, but I bought it as an ebook just the same.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 01:46 PM   #154
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I think I am finally over it. I must have bought 50-100 since november. No place to put the books. Not sure why I got infatuated with physical books after so long of ebook only but im done with it. Ill only buy it if its sprayed edges or a collectors edition
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:24 PM   #155
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Ill only buy it if its sprayed edges or a collectors edition
I've learned those look nice in the bookstore, but I will never actually read them.

The Pengiun Clothbound Classics are very trendy right now and look good on a shelf. But I watched a video a while back complaining that they are terrible for reading. She demonstrated with a couple of different books that they are hard to lay open, the way other hardback books do. I forget the rest and am doing a poor summary. But as I watched the video I could see the points she was making were valid. At least with her copies anyway.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:13 PM   #156
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've learned those look nice in the bookstore, but I will never actually read them.

The Pengiun Clothbound Classics are very trendy right now and look good on a shelf. But I watched a video a while back complaining that they are terrible for reading. She demonstrated with a couple of different books that they are hard to lay open, the way other hardback books do. I forget the rest and am doing a poor summary. But as I watched the video I could see the points she was making were valid. At least with her copies anyway.

Reminds me of the Barnes and Noble Leatherbound Classics and the Borders Classics before it, of which I have a couple on my shelf. They're mostly for decoration, these days. If I really want to read them I will usually pull up a digital copy, and only pull out the physical books if I feel like looking over the Gustav Dore or William Blake illustrations.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:20 PM   #157
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Reminds me of the Barnes and Noble Leatherbound Classics and the Borders Classics before it, of which I have a couple on my shelf. They're mostly for decoration, these days...
Yeah. Even if ebooks were to go away and all eink screens stopped working, I'd wind up going back to paperbacks.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:00 AM   #158
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Yeah. Even if ebooks were to go away and all eink screens stopped working, I'd wind up going back to paperbacks.
Preach it! I hated having to buy a hard back book...as when a book I very much wanted to read was only available in hardback. It wasn't the cost...but that too. It was the size and weight.

I always carried my books with me. I read everywhere. Give me a paper back, and bonus points if it would fit in my back pocket
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:19 PM   #159
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Depends on the size of the paperback. I saw a paperback version of Priory of the Orange Tree at B&N the other day:

https://etchedinstone.org/wp-content...-2-675x900.jpg

900 pages does not make for a happy paperback, methinks. You'll get, what? Maybe one complete read-through before the spine is destroyed?

I feel the same way these days practically whenever I see a great book in mass market paperback dimensions. Anything other than an airport novel feels like it's being done a disservice in that format.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:25 PM   #160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have an old hardcover that I'll be reading next month. It should be an excellent read.

Gracie: A Love Story by George Burns.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 04:06 PM   #161
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
900 pages does not make for a happy paperback, methinks. You'll get, what? Maybe one complete read-through before the spine is destroyed?
I dunno. My mass market paperback copy of Stephen King's It (1,100+ pages) published in 1986(?) has survived multiple readings and is still hanging in there. Same for The Stand and Shōgun and others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Maybe because they were crafted with 'the old ways.'
Old 05-02-2024, 11:00 AM   #162
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:

I’m sort of infatuated with spray edges lately.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:22 PM   #163
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I dunno. My mass market paperback copy of Stephen King's It (1,100+ pages) published in 1986(?) has survived multiple readings and is still hanging in there. Same for The Stand and Shōgun and others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Maybe because they were crafted with 'the old ways.'
Hammer and chisel on stone tablets.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote