Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
portwood
portwood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2018
Display series on Kindle home list

Kindle Paperwhite 2018

Can I get a Kindle to display '{series}{series_number} - }{title}' instead of just {title}
The file name is '{author} - {series}{series_number} - }{title}'
A sort on Author should keep the series together.

e.g.
Christopher G Nuttall - Outside Context Problem 01 - Outside Context Problem
Christopher G Nuttall - Outside Context Problem 02 - Under Foot
Christopher G Nuttall - Outside Context Problem 03 - The Slightest Hope of Victory

Kindle displays the list as 1, 3, 2

The only thing I can think of is to incorporate the series into the title but that results in a file name of '{author} - {{series}{series_number} - }{series}{series_number} - }}{title}'
portwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Like this, you mean?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	658.5 KB
ID:	167815

Yes - as you see. Use a Calibre metadata plugboard to automatically prefix the series name and author to the title.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
portwood

Tried to play with the plugboard but my input does not seem to work.

Preferences: Import/export: Metadata plugboards

format: mobi
device: kindle2
plugboard: {series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title}
destination field: title

I selected all books in series

Send to device: Send to main memory
Only the last book in the series is sent to the Kindle. It displays '{series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title}'.

Other info:

Preferences: Import/export: Saving books to disc:
{authors} - {series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title}

Preferences: Import/export: Sending books to device:
{authors}/{series}/
Old 11-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
I have my plugboard set to:
for all format "azw3" sent to device "Kindle2" {series}{series_index:0>2s| | - }{title}
for all format "mobi" sent to device "Kindle2" {series}{series_index:0>2s| | - }{title}

this for example displays on my Kindle:
Dexter 01 - Dexter Dreaming Darkly
Jeff Lindsay

Dexter 02 - Dearly Devoted Dexter
Jeff Lindsay

Dexter 03 - Dexter in the Dark
Jeff Lindsay

My sending books to devices is: {author_sort}/{series}{series_index} {title} - {authors}
which the files on the kindle end up named:
documents/Lindsay, Jeff/Dexter1 Dexter Dreaming Darkly - Jeff Lindsay
documents/Lindsay, Jeff/Dexter2 Dearly Devoted Dexter - Jeff Lindsay

But this should not matter, it only sets up the name format on the device. NOT was it displays in the book list. [EDIT] that format is old, from a couple kindles ago, I would not use that format if I had paid attention to what it was when I set up & loaded up my latest kindle.

Last edited by JohnnyBook; 11-19-2018 at 05:45 PM.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
portwood

Problem solved

Problem solved

Saving books to disc:
{authors}/{series}/{authors} - {series}{series_index:0>2s} - {title}

Sending books to device:

Plugboard: (awz3 & MOBI)
{series}{series_index:0>2s} - {title}
Advert
Old 11-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Easiest thing to do is set the plugboard to "any format" and "any device", unless you have a particular reason to wish to restrict it.

Note that plugboards don't work with "dual Mobi" files, so make sure you use either pure "old" Mobi, or AZW3.

Glad you've got it working.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast
Pierre-Olivier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Hello,

I've just ordered for a new Kindle PaperWhite (thanks to black friday promotions).

I just wonder about the way to manage collections with Calibre. I have only 19 tags in Calibre. And I will create 19 collections. Is there a way for calibre to send the books in the proper collection according to the tag ?

Thank you for your help.
Pierre-Olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:58 PM   #8
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by portwood View Post
Problem solved

Saving books to disc:

Sending books to device:

Plugboard: (awz3 & MOBI)
{series}{series_index:0>2s} - {title}
This is naming all of my books that DO NOT have series as - {title}

Is there a way to make the syntax go "If there is series info, do this; if not, just name it {title}"?
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:15 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
This is naming all of my books that DO NOT have series as - {title}

Is there a way to make the syntax go "If there is series info, do this; if not, just name it {title}"?
From JohnnyBook post #4:

{series}{series_index:0>2s| | - } {title}
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
From JohnnyBook post #4:

{series}{series_index:0>2s| | - } {title}
Thanks, I ended up going with:

{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] }{title}

Which looks like this:

The Witcher [04] Time of Contempt

It was too late last night to think properly.
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote