Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #31
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wow - that is a strange cover! Do I understand correctly that you bought those papery things, rather than ebooks?
I agree on the cover. and the other:
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The new translation of Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables" is now available - and there may be a pricing error.

It's translated by Christine Donougher, and is now titled as 'The Wretched.'

Everyone else appears to be listing this for well over $15.00. [Kobo: 9.99 pounds. At Penguin Classics, the price is 10.99 pounds. At Sony GB, the price 9.99 pounds. At Tesco, it's 13.29 pounds.]

This is being billed as an UNABRIDGED edition, and is shown as having 1443 pages, and includes live links.

IT'S PRICED AT 99 CENTS.

Here's the link to Amazon, below. For some reason, it's listed on the US site:

http://www.amazon.com/Wretched-Cloth...ed+victor+hugo

I just bought it.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-04-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #33
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Thank you. I have now bought this one too. Now I have to decide whether to read the Denny or the Donougher translation. The Hapgood translation was OK but I'm eager to try one of these.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #34
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Novels Similar to The Count of Monte Cristo

Quote:
Wow - that is a strange cover! Do I understand correctly that you bought those papery things, rather than ebooks?

Haha. Yes, Harry. I got these books in pbook form. Do you have something against pbooks?

When I read The Count of Monte Cristo and A Tale of Two Cities for the first time, they were in ebook format, and I had a really difficult time accessing the explanatory footnotes. So I decided for books that I want to read and have notes at the end and footnotes, I would get them and read them in pbook.

When I was at the store, I saw the same edition of The Count of Monte Cristo I read in ebook and I really wanted to own a copy of it in pbook but I didn't buy it. I may get it the next time I'm there. My sister has the Oxford World's Classic edition of the book. I want to reread the book someday but I'm not sure if I should try another translation (the edition my sister has) or just stick with Buss'.

Last edited by Gazella; 03-05-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #35
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why is the translator for the Kindle edition (Donougher) of Les Misérables different than the pbook (Denny)? Even though they're both by Penguin Classics? I just compared the pbook and ebook versions of The Three Musketeers and they're the exact same.
Advert
Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Why is the translator for the Kindle edition (Donougher) of Les Misérables different than the pbook (Denny)? Even though they're both by Penguin Classics? I just compared the pbook and ebook versions of The Three Musketeers and they're the exact same.
Penguin Classics books often go through multiple editions with different translators. Perhaps the pbook is an older edition than the ebook, or vice versa? Do they have a publication date?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #37
Gazella
Wizard

Novels Similar to The Count of Monte Cristo

Quote:
Penguin Classics books often go through multiple editions with different translators. Perhaps the pbook is an older edition than the ebook, or vice versa? Do they have a publication date?

The pbook edition was published in 1982.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:32 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
The pbook edition was published in 1982.
Yep - different editions. From the Penguin Classics web site:

Quote:
A brilliant new translation by Christine Donougher of Victor Hugo's thrilling masterpiece, with an introduction by Robert Tombs.
The paperback edition of it's not due to be published until November this year. It's only currently out in hardback (and as an ebook).

Last edited by HarryT; 03-05-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, this new edition is also a new translation.

Christine Donougher is the translator.

What I was trying to emphasize is the question of why it's available in the US (at all, at this point), and why it is priced so cheaply. Take a look at those other prices.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #40
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The new translation of Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables" is now available - and there may be a pricing error.

It's translated by Christine Donougher, and is now titled as 'The Wretched.'

Everyone else appears to be listing this for well over $15.00. [Kobo: 9.99 pounds. At Penguin Classics, the price is 10.99 pounds. At Sony GB, the price 9.99 pounds. At Tesco, it's 13.29 pounds.]

This is being billed as an UNABRIDGED edition, and is shown as having 1443 pages, and includes live links.

IT'S PRICED AT 99 CENTS.

Here's the link to Amazon, below. For some reason, it's listed on the US site:

http://www.amazon.com/Wretched-Cloth...ed+victor+hugo

I just bought it.
Thank you! I bought it, reduced on Amazon India as well! On Kobo India it's full price.
And I thought I won't be buying books for a while
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #41
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Les Misérables Victor Hugo - My sister loves this book. She has recommended it to me. I bought the .99 Kindle version (thanks Dr. Drib). I do agree with the poster that annotated and footnoted classics are better in paper, but I don't have a choice, since I can't read paper. Eventually, the eversions will improve.

The Three Musketeers Alexandre Dumas - I've read this book 6 times and now have the audiobook. It's a long book, but well worth the read.

Scaramouche Rafael Sabatini - never read. I know nothing about it.

Consider also Man of La Mancha by Cervantes.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-05-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Because i can't spell.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I don't have a choice, since I can't read paper.
May I ask why not?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #43
Gazella
Wizard

Yes, I'm interested as well, if you don't mind.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #44
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Steven Brust recently announced that he'll be doing a Count of Monte Cristo pastiche in the style of the Khaavren romances:

https://twitter.com/PaarfiTweets/sta...31910480125955
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #45
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Steven Brust recently announced that he'll be doing a Count of Monte Cristo pastiche in the style of the Khaavren romances:

https://twitter.com/PaarfiTweets/sta...31910480125955
Thank you for this. I did not know about it and am looking forward to reading the book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote