Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2018, 04:43 AM   #1
Dawidsu
Dawidsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard/Kindle paperwhite 1
Kindle Paperwhite screen flashing bug

Hello, I'm new to the forum, so first of all, hi everybody!

Now, to what ails me!

I've just bought a used Kindle Paperwhite 1st edition. Everything seemed to be working until I plugged it into the computer. The screen started flashing like crazy and wouldn't stop. I unplugged it, but it kept refreshing. Finally, I restarted it holding the button (because I couldn't select anything on the screen).

Here's a video of what it looked like: https://youtu.be/1sPXM1ntj2g

When my Kindle booted up, the flashing was no more. I can plug it into my PC now and everything seems to be working fine. Now the question is - will it happen again? Can I fix it, or should I return it to the seller?
Dawidsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It shouldn't do that. I'm assuming you bought it from ebay? Depending upon what you paid, send it back. However, if it was very inexpensive it might be worth keeping to see whether you have this issue again. If you don't mind doing a restart every time it happens, keep it.

PW1's had other known issues of uneven lighting. This wasn't fixed till the PW2. I would recommend returning it, then buying an officially refurbished PW2 or 3 from Amazon.

Wecome to mobileread. Have fun here.

Last edited by BookCat; 11-22-2018 at 11:42 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
Dawidsu

Thanks for the reply. It was pretty cheap, so I'm thinking I'll keep it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
PW1's had other known issues of uneven lighting.
You mean the LED lighting or is there something bad with the e-ink screen itself?
Old 11-23-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mean the LED lighting.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
Dawidsu

I did without the lighting in my Kindle keyboard, so that's no trouble.

But does anyone have a clue what could have caused that flashing anyway?
Advert
Old 11-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J

I'm just guessing here, but could it be a battery problem? If it was a used device, the battery could be very worn down.

Hopefully someone more technical will be along soon.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
It almost looks like it is trying to make a USB connection with the PC. Mine flashes a little like that before the Connected Via USB screen comes up on it.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I was going to say, I had that happen with my new Oasis2 when I apparently used a wrong or bad cable to connect to my computer. Just kept flashing. Couldn't get it to go into usb mode. Got rid of that cable and no issues since.

I think I grabbed an older Fire tablet cable instead of the many kindle cables I have. They were both black.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote