Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Mom's application for Long Term Care at a really nice nursing home has been accepted. I am so relieved. She's currently in rehabilitation and this week walked 24 feet!

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #47
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Mom's application for Long Term Care at a really nice nursing home has been accepted. I am so relieved. She's currently in rehabilitation and this week walked 24 feet!

Sent from my XT1528
Sounds great! My mom is at a retirement center that she really likes, tho not in the "nursing care" section yet.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #48
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Heap praise on those who rescued the Wild Boars football team.

According to the NYT several of boys, and the coach, are stateless refugees. One of whom, the one with the cheesy grin, speaks five languages - Thai, Wa, Burmese, Mandarin and English.

Say a prayer for the guy who died delivering oxygen.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #49
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
I’m a Great Auntie! I’m so excited! All is well but I think Daddy may be feeling a little overwhelmed.

This is the first baby in our family since I had my twins 14 years ago. I can’t wait to spoil the little tyke rotten and give him back to his Mom tired, hungry and in a poopy diaper. Ahh, the joys of close-to-but-not parenthood!
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 AM   #50
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Dear son #1 made the long (28 hours total travel) trip home for a few days, and the trip home (24 hours total) safely.

Bus from Gumi South Korea to Incheon takes 3+ hours, Incheon to JFK is 14 hours, 2 hours from there to Cleveland, then an hour drive home, plus all layovers and waiting, customs, etc = 28 hours

4 days wasn't nearly long enough after 2 years of being away but very thankful for safe travel.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:39 AM   #51
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Today, and every day, I’m thankful for my husband’s patience, care, love and attention.

And his pot roast. He makes really good pot roast.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #52
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Last Thursday we paid off my sister's funeral bill in full. I'm thankful I no longer have to raise funds. I don't like begging for money it just feels wrong and I was getting desperate as donations had stopped as people go on with their lives and hubby's out of work again. I didn't know what we were going to do. It's done now, all paid thanks to a state refund of mom's we didn't know about and now my sister can truly rest in peace and finally gets her gravestone with engraving. No more sleepless night and walking the floor worried about this. I was in deep depression due to this and hubby's job loss and mental health. Now having my sister final resting place taken care, it helps lift so much darkness I was in.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #53
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ever since I got Windows 10 (shortly before the free upgrade from Win 7 period expired), whenever I shut down or restarted my ethernet connected desktop my TP-Link router would reset. This was irritating because other devices would lose connectivity for a few minutes while the router went through its power up song-and-dance routine.

This hasn't been happening since I upgraded to Win 10 1803 last week.

BR
Old 11-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
First snow of the season (and way, way too early), several inches with freezing rain on top of that to give it the heft of concrete. I especially dreaded digging out the top of the driveway where the town plows take a fiendish joy in dumping many streets' worth of snow accumulation.

But... an anonymous and most benevolent plow angel not only dug out the top, he took a pass down the driveway, too. Blessings on thee, kind sir! May your tribe increase.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #55
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Really grateful to have a loving wife, an overabundance of books and that I haven't really 'gone without' in what feels like a lifetime. A recent example is I left my job several months ago to go pursue a dream and when I seemed to have lost almost everything, I mentioned to colleagues that I was considering returning to my field and my company practically begged me to come back and even helped obtain tickets and a loan for relocating. I feel very fortunate and have a heart full of gratitude towards those who have helped me network and find the opportunities which have sustained me. My engine runs on good luck and I try to always remember that when I see others with a similar need. My goal is that when everything is said and done, that I will have the opportunity to give more than I have taken and leave the world just a little bit better of a place.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #56
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Our youngest son and his wife, and their 3 sons, recently moved to our area. 20 minutes away is much nicer than 7 hours.

He left for college in 2002, and hasn’t live here since then.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #57
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Hearing Aids - 'Remote' Control

A few years ago I got a letter from a hearing aid outfit (audiologists) telling me I was eligible for a free hearing test, and free hearing aids if required. I had noticed my hearing had deteriorated so I went along.

The upshot was I decided to get some aids. On the basis of vanity I got the ones that wrap over the ear. They sort of worked in that they made things louder, but also tinny, but they kept falling off. I've always had small ears - they've even been described as cute/sweet etc.

At the first annual checkup I told the audiologist about the falling off problem, the result was that I got them replaced by the devices that go into the ear. That solved the falling off problem, but they still seemed tinny so I only wore them when I 'needed' them.

I few weeks ago I went for retest/review. Same place, but I saw a different audiologist. She made some adjustments, chastised me for not wearing them most of the time etc etc. She reduced the tinny sound considerably. And she enabled the T-loop feature which should make going to the movies less of a 'problem'.

Hearing aids have tiny buttons on them to change programs to suit different environments - which I've always found hard to use so I asked what could be done about that. She pulled out a little remote control - its not free - cost me $165.

It has made an enormous difference - I can change programs between Normal, Restaurant, T-loop (cinemas have this, its a magnetic loop), adjust volume, mute, change left/right volumes etc.

I haven't been to the cinema yet, need to ask my movie-mate what's on, and when she can go.

Apparently providing free hearing aides reduces the need for aged-care and disability services etc. Why they don't do it for dental care I don't know. We just lost the opportunity to get that by voting in the 'banana-with-raspberry-coulis' party, instead of the 'strawberry-with-a-cherry-on-top' party.

BR
Old 12-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #58
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Went to a do a bit of shopping this morning - the Gods were smiling on me again.

First stop was the bakery, bought my usual black rye, a broad bean and fetta thingme, and some lemon tarts. The baker and I have a little ritual with her bagging my purchases and me swiping my card. My part wasn't working today -- because she hadn't entered the purchases on her iPad. And she point blank refused to do so -- because it was Christmas - bless her

Second stop was the pharmacist. My monthly scrips usually cost me thirty something dollars. Today the young lady that served me asked for eleven dollars. When I said that can't be right, she said you've exceeded the cap so the remaining items are free. I'd forgotten how generous our pharma benefits scheme is. It has an annual safety net.

If you have a concession card then once you've spent more than $316.80 on medicines in a year, all additional medicines are free. I take 6 medicines a day and its taken me almost 12 months to reach the cap.

If you don't have a concession card the safety net cap is $1,486.80. Once you exceed that you pay $6.60 for each one month scrip. Families, couples etc can pool their 'PBS Accounts' so that the safety net kicks in sooner.

They just put a new drug onto the scheme to treat a rare form of cancer. So, instead of having to find $8,000 a month sufferers can get it for $41.00, or $6.60 if they have a concession card.

Whilst we are fortunate to have our health care system (Medicare), we are even more fortunate to have a public health system that for the most part works incredibly well. The state of Victoria did have a major problem with its quarantine program, but if we exclude the consequences of that we have had less than 3,000 locally acquired covid infections and less than a 100 covid deaths. That's up there with the likes of New Zealand, Taiwan, etc.

Added: apart from Melbourne, other parts of Australia have not had harsh confinement measures and curfews (like New Zealand had), nor have masks been made mandatory. In New South Wales, where I live, the response has been text book test, trace and isolate - but not the mass enforced testing you might see see in China, and now in some parts of Europe. Other states have resorted to closing their borders if someone on the other side of it so much as sneezes.

Third stop was the supermarket, where, predictably I bought more than I intended, so rather than walking the 3km home with three bags of shopping I hailed a cab. Guess what, after I pay the driver the eight bucks - he hops out of the cab opens the other rear door grabs my shopping bags and carries them to my front door - how good is that

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-23-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #59
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It may seem a bit trivial, but I'm ridiculously pleased with my new watch.

It's got a nice clean dial, with a sapphire cover on a titanium case and band. It's solar powered, and has a six band radio for receiving time signals from atomic clocks around the world, including the one in the UK. The band adjusted easily, and fits me really well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	612eoAIdZbL._AC_UL1000_.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	184984
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #60
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It may seem a bit trivial, but I'm ridiculously pleased with my new watch.

It's got a nice clean dial, with a sapphire cover on a titanium case and band. It's solar powered, and has a six band radio for receiving time signals from atomic clocks around the world, including the one in the UK. The band adjusted easily, and fits me really well.

Attachment 184984
Cool
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote