Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
MikeMJ
Constant Reader
MikeMJ began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Sensation 4G (Kindle software)
Question Android device where ONLY the SD card is visible

I have an Android phone (an HTC Sensation 4G) that can connect via USB, but when it does, only the SD card is accessible.

The Android driver (I'm using Calibre 0.8.56) automatically detects the device, but the original configuration of the plugin used the path "mnt/sdcard/kindle". Because the root of the visible file system is the SD card, this created the "mnt" and "sdcard" folders, and then created a "kindle" folder at the end of that path. As all of the books actually on the SD card are in the folder "kindle" (at the root of the SD card), Calibre didn't detect any of them, and attempts to Send To Device added files in a folder that the e-reader software on the phone can't see.

I changed the configuration of the android plugin (deleted the folder name from the template, so it is now "{title} - {authors}", and changed the directory list to "kindle, mnt/sdcard/kindle". As a result, Calibre now retrieves information about the books on the device (I'm on my way to the promised land of automatic synchronization!). But there's a problem.

When I try to Send To Device, Calibre reports:
calibre, version 0.8.56
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

The reader has no storage card in this slot.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 412, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 256, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 978, in _sanity_check
ValueError: The reader has no storage card in this slot.

I am guessing that this is caused by the fact that the Android driver is looking for "mnt/sdcard/", and not finding it.

Can you suggest any work-around to get Calibre to use the same rules for sending to the device that it uses for reading from the device?
MikeMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error usually indicates that you are trying to send to the sd card in calibre, instead of the main memory. This can be a little confusing, because if your device has only and sd card then calibre will treat that as the main memory. So make sure you are sending to main memory not card A or card b. Right click the send to device button and set the default action correctly.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
MikeMJ
Constant Reader

Ah, yes. Now that I have set the default action to "Send to Main Memory", it's working like a champ.

Thank you for your prompt, and as always clear and helpful, response, Kovid.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
leumas
leumas began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Sensation
I also have a problem with my usb. I just got a new sensation 4g. Each time i connect it via usb to my laptop all it does is charge. It never shows me options to access my memory card or tether or anything else. Recently i was playing Ninjump game while charging it via usb from a laptop and suddenly the options pop up to make a selection of what to do with usb. I did not copy anything or open my sd card. I did not do anything. I just unplugged it and reconnected it later. Now its back to square one. Please what do you think the problem is?

Last edited by leumas; 07-04-2012 at 05:06 PM.
leumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leumas View Post
I also have a problem with my usb. I just got a new sensation 4g. Each time i connect it via usb to my laptop all it does is charge. It never shows me options to access my memory card or tether or anything else.
Have you checked the notification window (pull down from top bar)?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
MikeMJ
Constant Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by leumas View Post
I also have a problem with my usb. I just got a new sensation 4g. Each time i connect it via usb to my laptop all it does is charge. It never shows me options to access my memory card or tether or anything else. Recently i was playing Ninjump game while charging it via usb from a laptop and suddenly the options pop up to make a selection of what to do with usb. I did not copy anything or open my sd card. I did not do anything. I just unplugged it and reconnected it later. Now its back to square one. Please what do you think the problem is?
The Sensation 4G can be configured to automatically make a particular kind of connection. When it displays the various options, there is a check box that is labeled Don't ask again, and if you checked that option, you have both set the default mode and bypassed the selection screen.

Go to Settings, and choose Connect to PC. You can set the Default Connection Type, but even more important, you can put a check mark next to Ask me, which will cause the selection screen to be displayed again.

Tags
android, htc sensation, sd card