Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Missing Notes And Highlights

My Kindle Paperwhite 2 had been unregistered for a long time, though Amazon set up a kindle account for me. About a week ago, because I wanted to use custom fonts, I borrowed a friend's wifi in order to register the device. This went well.

The following day, I updated the kindle (via usb) from 5.4.2. to 5.9.7. Initially, I was delighted with the update.

UNTIL

I discovered that all my notes and highlights had disappeared from my books!!!!

The worst losses were the notes and highlights from the first two-thirds of a draft of a novel I've been writing. I'd put it on the kindle in txt format.

Is there any way of recovering these?

I've looked in 'My Clippings' and they seem to be there, but scattered, and with the wrong date stamps. I noticed that the novel's title appeared with the highlights and notes, so tried searching 'My Clippings' for this to maybe single them out with a view to printing them. But the search came up with nothing.

Since the update, I haven't worked out how to select a search type. Before, I could select, 'All Text' 'Within this Book' or 'On Device' (or something similar), but these search types have either disappeared or I don't know how to do this now.

Is there any way for my notes and highlights to reappear in the books? Does this happen with every update?
Was it the update or the registration which did this?

Thanks lots for any help.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just copied the My Clippings folder onto my computer but I can't open the files within it. I was under the impression that these were txt files, but they don't appear to be.

Could someone please enlighten me?
Old 11-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've just copied the My Clippings folder onto my computer but I can't open the files within it. I was under the impression that these were txt files, but they don't appear to be.

Could someone please enlighten me?
In the Documents folder you should have a "My Clippings.txt" file. The "My Clippings.sdr" folder won't do you any good. (Well, won't do me any good, anyhow, because I don't even know what it is.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Try using Calibre and the Annotations plugin. You need to add a column.
It works better than myclippings.txt as it's on a per book basis.
I have a PW3 and DXG, but I only use my Kobo Aura H2O original for annotation of my own writing (converted to ePub by Calibre), then I use the Kobo Utilities plug in to get the annotations back to Clipboard and then paste to a textfile.
Saved cost twice over in saved paper and laser toner.
I've never found a way to export Sony PRS350 or Nook Simple Touch annotations.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:20 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J

rcentros: Thanks for the help. I found the txt file.

FrustratedReader: Would you mind telling me more about using Calibre for this please? I've only used Calibre for conversion. Do I have to import the sdr folder or the txt folder into Calibre? What do I do with it next? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J

I've found the sdr file for the most important set of notes and highlights. Is there some way I can use these to restore the notes etc in the text?

If this isn't possible, how can I get the my clippings file to sort itself into books? Is there some way I can search this?

Help!
Old 11-22-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Device: Oasis 2017
Maybe Kindle Mate could help http://kmate.me/
I used it to extract all my notes from Kindle.
eilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
BookCat
C L J

eilon: Thanks for the link. I've downloaded the software, haven't yet installed it. The problem is that the notes are not on my kindle except for the myclippings file and sdr folders.

I'll learn more when I begin using Kindle Mate. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
BookCat
C L J

After spending ages trying to get Calibre to help, I installed Kindle Mate. Within a few clicks it was showing me all the notes I'd made. Progress. Thanks eilon!

Tags
highlights, notes, registration, update