Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2020, 12:19 AM   #1
kjdavies
Zealot
kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Editing custom date metadata

Hi All,

I have some custom date fields in a calibre library (to do with source currency and provenance). The custom metadata fields are presented with the field label to the left, the field value to the right (with a drop down that puts up a date picker when clicked), and below that two buttons, "Set '$field' to today" and "Clear '$field'".

Is there a way to get these presented to the right of the field? There appears to be adequate space for "Today" (or "Set to today") and the regular clear (recycle) button.

I took a screen shot (calibre date original.PNG) and did a quick mockup of what I have in mind (calibre date reformat.PNG).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre date original.PNG
Views:	160
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	182520   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre date reformat.PNG
Views:	155
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	182521  
kjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:44 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FWIW you can edit dates in the Book List by pressing F2 in the cell, then press '=' to set date to "Today", and '-' to set a date to "Undefined".

Avoids having to poke around in the Metadata Edit dialogue boxes.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:46 PM   #3
kjdavies
Zealot
kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
FWIW you can edit dates in the Book List by pressing F2 in the cell, then press '=' to set date to "Today", and '-' to set a date to "Undefined".

BR
I'm usually not editing the values (they're mostly machine-generated), but I would like to save some vertical real estate. I have a lot of custom fields.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
I was just wondering how I could reset dates to nothing using the book list. I have my settings so that hitting "enter" edits the field in the booklist but I have never been able to just fix it so that the date is left blank.

Is there a way to make a hot key that will just blank out dates?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I was just wondering how I could reset dates to nothing using the book list. I have my settings so that hitting "enter" edits the field in the booklist but I have never been able to just fix it so that the date is left blank.

Select the date field and press -

Job Spy does have an option to hotkey-fill columns but I think it only works for text ones.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Select the date field and press -

Job Spy does have an option to hotkey-fill columns but I think it only works for text ones.
Yeah, I use job spy to clean out the long text columns, but I haven't set up hot keys for anything other than the duplicate finder.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:15 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post

IIRC F2 always works, irrespective of the Preferences->Tweaks->Control behavior of the book list setting. But if you can edit the cell with Enter or Double-click, just press the minus key ('-'), then Enter or Tab.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-12-2020 at 12:19 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavies View Post
Is there a way to get these presented to the right of the field? There appears to be adequate space for "Today" (or "Set to today") and the regular clear (recycle) button.
I changed edit metadata single and bulk to use the suggested layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	135
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	182642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	137
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	182643  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:59 AM   #9
kjdavies
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I changed edit metadata single and bulk to use the suggested layout.
That looks lovely. Is there something I should do locally to get the same result, or will this show up in an upcoming release?
Old 10-13-2020, 04:59 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavies View Post
That looks lovely. Is there something I should do locally to get the same result, or will this show up in an upcoming release?
It will be in the next release. If you are in a hurry you can run calibre from source and get it now.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #11
kjdavies
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It will be in the next release. If you are in a hurry you can run calibre from source and get it now.
I'm not that anxious, I just wanted to make sure I understood how to get it.

Thank you! This is a small thing, but it will make the interface better for me.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #12
kjdavies
Zealot

I see the changes now. Thanks Charles!

Tags
calibre, custom field, date, user interface