Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 07-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
Server Kinda Distributed

I am going through my 2nd or 3rd try at setting up server so far with no success. Wondering if there are other ways to meet my needs or perhaps some hints on fixing my issues.

I run Calibre in what is probably an unsupported configuration but I've been doing it for years and have a number of books so it works for me (occasional glitches but no corruptions). I keep the DB in a share served by my largest desktop (video editing station in the basement). Library is on a Synology NAS. Access this setup from 3 different windooz 10 computers locally.

I am trying to set-up server on my Ubuntu "server." I am at the point where I finally managed to get the NAS mounted and the share with the DB mounted but I am getting "database locked" errors when the server goes to fetch the books. Looking at the protections from the Linux side things look normal so not sure why the DB is locked--no Calibres running anywhere at the moment.

Anyway since I see the server as a read-only setup for accessing existing library books I can think of at least two scenarios:

1) Make a shadow copy of the DB once a night as a rsync/cron and don't try to share the DB to Linux.

2) Find/develop a lightweight server that can deal with the file structure without the DB maybe using an indexing system like Lucene?
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are lots and lots of alternative calibre servers a bit of googling will find you dozens. If you want to run the official server, which is the most capable of the lot, then your best bet is to copy the db file of your NAS and run the server using that copy, with the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH env var (see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables)

But note that this will limit you to only exposing a single library witht he server and you must use the server in read only mode.

You can write a trivial script to stop the server, update metadata.db from the NAS and restart the server from cron.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distributed, linux, nas, server