Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Wizpac txtr reader announced - the Kindle killer?

Fabian sent us some noteworthy news about a new e-reader from German company Wizpac Ltd. Dubbed txtr reader, it features everything an e-book affectionado would die for, including (quoted from their press agent):

Quote:
  • The latest 6-inch eInk display for maximum readability
  • Advanced power management guaranteeing weeks of reading time
  • Full connectivity including USB, Bluetooth, and true mobility with SIM-enabled UMTS/GPRS
  • An user interface that will blow away everything you’ve seen on eInk so far
  • Bookstore on-device and on the web
  • Of course, tight integration with our online platform txtr.com
  • and very cool design
Find a full list of specs over here (take a special look at "Special Features"...).

I dug further and found evidence that this reader should support PDF, HTML, Office, and ePub among other e-book formats and that also a developer API is planned with support for on-device 3rd party applications.

Alright, let's take this all with a grain of salt, but should this reader come into existence, it could be a real Kindle/Sony/you-name-it killer for what it matters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reader.jpg
Views:	1689
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	21899  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
>An user interface that will blow away everything you’ve seen on eInk so far

The user interface is a BOMB?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
>An user interface that will blow away everything you’ve seen on eInk so far

The user interface is a BOMB?

BOb
Hmm... I see a problem here if you want to carry it on a plane...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Find a full list of specs over here (take a special look at "Special Features"...).
all that and an accelerometer !!

epub support and touchscreen, i'm interested ! can't wait to hear about price and availability...

not sure how interested i am in being integrated with an "online solution" but we'll see what they propose... deifinitely one to keep an eye on !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Did you read the page that is linked behind the zebracomb hair?

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/01/22...eaders-for-all

Quote:
But this assumes there are texts out there to download. While I’m aware of the rich treasure trove of free books out there (The People’s Common Sense Medical Adviser or Iliad, anyone?), unless you’re an scholar of ancient Greek or a anti-medical bore, you’re pretty hard-pressed to find anything you’d read on the beach.
Somebody that has never seen all those other online bookstores?

Oh, and Zelda, where did you read that touchscreen bit?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Did you read the page that is linked behind the zebracomb hair?

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/01/22...eaders-for-all

yes, i wondered about that too. sheesh, amazon is not the only thing out there.

where did i read about the touchscreen, hm, i'm not sure now ; maybe i inferred it from the "capacitative slider interface". i could be wrong. ah no, i think i saw it in the crunchgear review.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't like the fact that there's no status information on the display itself - especially page numbers. Maybe this can be customized, but, if not, it would annoy me to not know what page I was on without having to access the menu.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
You have to have the sense to look, first. What else would you expect from Crunchgear? If it's not standard equipment on an SUV, or good to eat during the Superbowl, it's a miracle they've even heard of it...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
I don't like the fact that there's no status information on the display itself - especially page numbers. Maybe this can be customized, but, if not, it would annoy me to not know what page I was on without having to access the menu.
I wouldn't be too concerned. It could be a mockup... or a "max page" setting that can be changed with a finger-tap.

Edit: Ah, of course... it IS a mockup. Day's been too long, I guess...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 01-22-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Duh!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Ah... I get it. This is a joke. Someone use Godaddy and go one of them cheap domains and created this farce of a web site.

BOb
Old 01-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Ah... I get it. This is a joke. Someone use Godaddy and go one of them cheap domains and created this farce of a web site.

BOb
I get the impression the previewer invented that part...

From the comments on the preview:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Steinhauser - January 22nd, 2009 at 2:22 pm PST
John,

Thanks for your review… It did trigger a whole discussion here about how we could forget the zebracorn in the specs!
We fixed that: http://reader.txtr.com/specifications.html

As you know, Germans love well engineered gear, the txtr reader will be for those who crave a better connected reading experience… anyway, we will keep you posted.

And btw. it’s barely a touch pad, not a touch screen, hm… but…
… let me think about that ;-)

Steini
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:

BOb
I don't think so. The company behind it (Wizpac) is real. I also heard (business development Ulrik Deichsel) that the txtr reader is supposed to come out in Q3 2009 in Germany, Austria and Switzerland first. Supposedly they invested around 1 million Euro so far in the project.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
and touchscreen
No touchscreen. What it has is:
Quote:
capacitive slider interface
These are probably the same kind of "keys" as the iRex Digital Reader has, and I assume the "slider" is the long axis of the cross.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I get the impression the previewer invented that part...

From the comments on the preview:
Ah... I see. Putting something like that in the actual specs does make it look suspicious.

Reading the specs if they do release this thing it will be about $500.

BOb
Old 01-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Very interesting.. Would love a price and availability..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote