Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Oh blast

I've just finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

I have 6 new ebooks that I've bought waiting to be read. I've got an awful lot more free ones also waiting to be read, and I've got several (bought and free) waiting to be re-read.

And I've got so engrossed in the world of Anathem that none of them appeal.

What do other people do in that situation?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Magazines. I go buy a stack of magazines. Science, technology, decorating, crafts...enough diverse topics to break my focus from the fictional world. I have difficulty sleeping if I don't read at night, so if the magazines don't work, I'll try re-reading a favorite book.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wot dreamer sed.

I usually grab a few photography magazines (as I tend to read them front-to-back - Practical Photography and Black & White Photography are my preference), and maybe grab the weekly mag, New Scientist, for a month or two. Sometimes I'll go to a non-fiction book as well (usually some kind of popular science - not biography or history), as that doesn't impinge on the pleasure of the post-read, lazy cigarette, grok-period that comes after a good, solid, read.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
tazzle
Glyph
tazzle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I know this feeling so well! I usually decompress with puzzles and brainteasers, sometimes dip into a good anthology of short stories, and usually follow up by completely switching genre... For example, after something like Anathem, I might read some period mystery/detective fiction.
tazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Let me know what you decide. I'm about to be in the same position!
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Consider reading non-fiction.
EG: The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
Very good book.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Yeah, there's some great non-fiction out there. I'd recommend, "Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell if you want the lighter end of things, or for something a little heftier, "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Or, go light/humor with Christopher Moore. Ever read "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" or "Island of the Sequined Love Nun"?
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Goodness, is Ananthem that good?

I've got it on the Reader, but wanted to bust out Eragon and Eldest so that some friends who seem high on Paolini can get me Brisingr for my birthday. I love reading, so it's no big deal, but Anathem is seemingly like a plague around here, and it sounds so engrossing.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank for all the suggestions

I will definitely be having a look at the various books mentioned. For now I am reading an old and varied stack of magazines, with the alleged intention of pruning out the ones I don't want any more and just keeping the interesting articles

VillageReader - I don't think I've read anything of his - but I love those titles!

Redcard - I thought it was. It took a few pages to get into, but it was very gripping reading after that. (Not gipping in a fast-paced, action packed way)

Last edited by ShortNCuddlyAm; 10-08-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Mostly to finish what I was saying before I hit send, and alos to correct a typo
Old 10-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
VillageReader - I don't think I've read anything of his - but I love those titles!
They are laugh out loud funny. People will give you odd looks if you read them on the train (the tube doesn't go as far as Surrey, right?). Both are available as e-books - http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/m...rMoore&t=cache
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
They are laugh out loud funny. People will give you odd looks if you read them on the train (the tube doesn't go as far as Surrey, right?). Both are available as e-books - http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/m...rMoore&t=cache
The bit of Surrey I'm in is close enough to the Northern Line for it to be the tube And I'm used to people giving me odd looks when I'm laughing and reading (it's even worse if I'm listening to comedy podcasts...)
Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 AM   #13
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
Goodness, is Ananthem that good?

I've got it on the Reader, but wanted to bust out Eragon and Eldest so that some friends who seem high on Paolini can get me Brisingr for my birthday. I love reading, so it's no big deal, but Anathem is seemingly like a plague around here, and it sounds so engrossing.
I'm not sure if engrossing is the right word. It depends on what you like. I'm a big Stephenson fan and the Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon are probably both in my top ten. Anathem isn't, but I still liked it a hell of a lot.

I guess for me part of it is when I'm reading a book by certain authors I enjoy them so much that they feel like they've been written for me personally. It can be difficult to go from a book you feel like has been tailor made for you to get maximum pleasure from to a "regular" book.

Anyway I still haven't decided what to read next. A couple of books I want to reread (Iain Bank's Crow Road and Pynchon's Mason & Dixon) aren't available in electronic format (boo) and as I've just got my reader I want to stick with it for a while longer. I'm thinking of reading something really light-weight and fun, maybe a thriller or something.

Edit: And I've just got to say GAH! the gaps in availability for ebooks annoys me no end. I hope some more publishers start getting their act together (or is it the author's fault?)
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If I run out of books by a particular author when I'm on an author binge, sometimes I go for a similar author, but I'm not sure who to recommend if you're on a Stephenson binge. Ian Banks, maybe?

Otherwise, a genre switch seems like a good idea.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

I hadn't thought about re-reading any of his after I'd finished Anathem - but thinking about it they would have been a good choice (I have just about all his books as p-books)