Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-07-2008, 02:35 AM   #1
Martin Smith
Martin Smith began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Best ebook organising software / techniques on Iliad?

I now have a few hundred ebooks for my Iliad.

About half are PDF and half Mobipocket.

Is there any software that would allow me to manage books in both formats collectively? (It appears that Mobipocket Reader does not manage PDFs without converting them unless I have missed something.)

Also on the device itself has anyone written a better content browser than the inbuilt one? (i.e. displaying more than 6 items a page, searchable by author and/or title)
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
AFAIK: No
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
If you copy Mobipocket files over manually rather than using the Mobipocket software in Windows, they don't actually have to go in the Mobipocket folder, and can be sorted in with your other formats. (Just plug in the USB, open the iLiad as a device from the desktop, and drag files over into the Books folder).

I use the inbuilt software (the little icon that looks like a label) to edit the file name to the title of the book (you can get rid of the file extension, and the iLiad's software will still deal with it quite happily -- but you have to do it on the iLiad, don't remove the file extension on your computer!). Then I make the second line the author's name (last name first). Then if it's part of a series, I use the third line to put series and number. So things look like this:

Lord Valentine's Castle
Silverberg, Robert
Majipoor 01

Then using the sort criteria (the little icon on the left in the File Manager that looks like a filetray), I set it to sort by information tags using the Description button. That will sort by author, with books in correct series order. If you want to sort by title, use the File Name button instead.

If you've got a few hundred books to catalogue, this may take a while, but once they're all done it's a trivial matter to do it for a new book when you add it.

Hope this helps. (I think I must have been a librarian in a previous life).
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Martin Smith
Martin Smith began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Thanks Carandol.

Some good ideas there. I guess I can just use a file compare tool such as winmerge to keep my PC and Iliad folders synched rather than using the Mobi Reader or just write a little app to synchronise things and do the requisite file naming.

Have you found a way to display more of your library than 6 titles on the screen at any one time or have you just got adept at navigating around multiple pages of book titles quite quickly?
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Seemingly unattainable goals:
  1. world peace
  2. tax laws that everyone is happy with
  3. more than 6 items in the contentlister
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
Seemingly unattainable goals:
  1. world peace
  2. tax laws that everyone is happy with
  3. more than 6 items in the contentlister
Ok, I disagree with number 2. Wouldn't everyone be happy with no tax on personal income. I know that would make me happy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Ah, I'm a fan of taxes, thereby proving that point #2 is indeed correct!
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
Have you found a way to display more of your library than 6 titles on the screen at any one time or have you just got adept at navigating around multiple pages of book titles quite quickly?
The latter, unfortunately. Though I've found that setting it to boot to the Recent Documents page helps a bit.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I don't bother with newspapers on the iLiad, so I put non-fiction in that folder. Not a big improvement, but it does help a bit.
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote