Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
JimBob1971
Enthusiast
JimBob1971 began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
Question about screens on e-book devices

Hi,

I've ordered an iLiad, but was wondering how its screen compares to the screens of other devices in terms of contrast and 'likeness' to paper. For example, is the screen quality better or worse than the new CyBook which is touted as having a newer e-ink screen, at least according to some websites I've seen.

Thanks!
James
JimBob1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob1971 View Post
Hi,

I've ordered an iLiad, but was wondering how its screen compares to the screens of other devices in terms of contrast and 'likeness' to paper. For example, is the screen quality better or worse than the new CyBook which is touted as having a newer e-ink screen, at least according to some websites I've seen.

Thanks!
James
Having owned both, I'd say that the iLiad's screen is not quite as good as the CyBook's. The iLiad has a better screen controller, which can display 16 grey-scales to the CyBook's 4, but the CyBook, which uses a 2nd generation "VizPlex" screen compared to the iLiad's 1st generation screen, has a "whiter" screen background, resulting in better contrast between the text and background. The iLiad's screen is still extremely good, however!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
JimBob1971
Enthusiast
JimBob1971 began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
Thanks for the reply Harry. Not quite what I wanted to hear, but useful nontheless! I guess it is size over slight improvement in quality - I'll see how I get on with the iLiad before making a final decision.
JimBob1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a pretty minor difference. PVI (the screen manufacturer) only currently make the VizPlex screens in the 6" size, so unfortunately you've no choice if you do want a larger screen such as the iLiad has. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the iLiad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote