Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #46
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
What method. Please post a link, to help others reading this thread. I find it incredibly frustrating when google takes me to a site that describes EXACTLY my problem, and the thread ends with "I fixed it" with no information that helps me fix the same problem.

Let's not do that to somebody who finds your "I fixed it" post. Thanks...
It's annoying me too, so I am very sorry to let this happen. I was in a hurry, so I did not realize it.
It simply deletes the file "/etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem".
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #47
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
It's annoying me too, so I am very sorry to let this happen. I was in a hurry, so I did not realize it.
It simply deletes the file "/etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem".
Thanks. And thanks from future digital archaeologists too.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 06:43 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #48
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

One small question... is it safe to delete the "/var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore" too? The jailbreak copies it to the place, but I can't find if it's the original part of FW (the 5.0.0 images are pre-jailbroken).
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #49
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One small question... is it safe to delete the "/var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore" too? The jailbreak copies it to the place, but I can't find if it's the original part of FW (the 5.0.0 images are pre-jailbroken).
It should be safe to delete the "combined developer keystore" file. It contains custom keys for "unauthorized" kindlets. It is always wise to first make a backup copy of any files before you delete them, and keep a record so you can undo your changes.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #50
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
It should be safe to delete the "combined developer keystore" file. It contains custom keys for "unauthorized" kindlets. It is always wise to first make a backup copy of any files before you delete them, and keep a record so you can undo your changes.
Thanks, I've changed it accordingly. It can't make a backup copy of files erased because the unjailbreak should revert the mess made by the jailbreak (revert to the original state).
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #51
geekmaster

Quote:
Thanks, I've changed it accordingly. It can't make a backup copy of files erased because the unjailbreak should revert the mess made by the jailbreak (revert to the original state).
"Proper" hacks that have an "uninstall" function generally make their own backup copy of anything that they change or delete. Unfortunately, the K4 and K5 make it easier to make hacks, and some of them make irreversible changes, which may require "debricking" (or manually replacing hacked files) to undo them.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #52
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
"Proper" hacks that have an "uninstall" function generally make their own backup copy of anything that they change or delete. Unfortunately, the K4 and K5 make it easier to make hacks, and some of them make irreversible changes, which may require "debricking" (or manually replacing hacked files) to undo them.
Actually, after installing the "unjailbreak", these affected parts of the jailbreak will be deleted = reverted to the original factory state. I don't see any need to backup these files.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #53
geekmaster

Quote:
Actually, after installing the "unjailbreak", these affected parts of the jailbreak will be deleted = reverted to the original factory state. I don't see any need to backup these files.
In this case no backup is needed. But as a general default policy, backups are good. We do not want to give people ideas that just deleting files will fix their problems. It is better to let an uninstaller script delete specific files for them.

I try to post extra information to help beginners following these threads (not aimed specifically at you). Anyway, back on topic, thanks for posting what you did.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #54
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
In this case no backup is needed. But as a general default policy, backups are good. We do not want to give people ideas that just deleting files will fix their problems. It is better to let an uninstaller script delete specific files for them.

I try to post extra information to help beginners following these threads (not aimed specifically at you). Anyway, back on topic, thanks for posting what you did.
Yes, backups are good, but I don't backup very often. When the old free hosting provider had technical problems, I've lost the jailbreak site's database ( free hosting providers are unreliable). Also, you are welcome
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #55
gwas
ghost with a shell
gwas began at the beginning.

I got good results with my ver. 5.1 kindle from the jailbreak-kt.tk site, thank you. My device had not been previously jailbroken, & I paid to have it be advertising free beforehand...

Now I need to cook up some software
gwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #56
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwas View Post
I got good results with my ver. 5.1 kindle from the jailbreak-kt.tk site, thank you. My device had not been previously jailbroken, & I paid to have it be advertising free beforehand...

Now I need to cook up some software
I am glad there is the first official response that it have helped someone. Feel free to create software for your Kindle now!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #57
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Uninstallation of other packages are missing also.

Just a thought: You can use seperate pages(tabs) for installs and uninstalls .
As I've promised, I've added that functionality to the site! Feel free to suggest another things when you have more good ideas.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #58
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mmatej: FWIW, the packaged jailbreak uninstaller *doesn't* remove the developer keystore, because it *may* have been modified by the user/OS during the time the device was jailbroken.

On the other hand, it's in /var/local, so it would get squished by a factory reset anyway, .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #59
cyclops0000
Padawan Learner
cyclops0000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
No, not really but the device could be taken over completely - disabling updates and so, then Amazon could not destroy the botnet by issuing OTA update. Maybe they could disable 3G then for FW 5.1.0 versions, but it doesn't solve the attacks via WiFi. And I think, FW versions could be faked to allow 3G after Amazon's disable, but I'm far OT now.
so.... it would be possible to use this exploit to disable ota updates?
now to figure out how...
cyclops0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #60
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@mmatej: FWIW, the packaged jailbreak uninstaller *doesn't* remove the developer keystore, because it *may* have been modified by the user/OS during the time the device was jailbroken.

On the other hand, it's in /var/local, so it would get squished by a factory reset anyway, .
So what actually the packaged jailbreak uninstaller do? If it doesn't remove "/etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem" or java dev keystore, it actually does... um, nothing. Or am I wrong?