Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Wow. I can't believe Hard Times and Dombey and Son placed instead of Bleak House and Nicholas Nickleby, although perhaps BH will be a surprise #1.

Autocorrect changed Dombey to Romney, lol.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #33
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
His 200th birthday is tomorrow!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will it be...?

Quote:
"You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!"
Old 02-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
His 200th birthday is tomorrow!
No, it's today (where I am )
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it's today (where I am )
It's still the 6th - Amazon time
Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #37
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
And we have a winner... Bleak House.

(No comment.. I haven't read it yet )
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #38
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It's my personal favourite, but I'm surprised it was placed at No 1 - I would have thought David Copperfield and Great Expectations would have been 1 and 2.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #39
LiamColcaSac
LiamColcaSac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities and Bleak House are my top favorites among his work. I just wished A Tale of Two Cities was included in the Top 5. Oh well, to each his own.

LiamColcaSac
http://www.colcasac.com
LiamColcaSac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yay . My two favourites are #1 and #2, as I said in the 2nd post in this thread. Excellent - I was certain it would be "A Christmas Carol".

Very happy that "Bleak House" has won.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #41
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
This reminds me to put The Pickwick Papers up there on my 2012 reading list. I have had it from Gutenberg for ages, and must own about a couple of secondhand paperback copies. Must hurry and finish my library books....

Last edited by spindlegirl; 02-07-2012 at 08:07 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #42
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am re-reading Dombey and Son right now and really enjoying it. There is one line where he describes Dombey Sr. putting his baby son before the fireplace like he was a muffin who needed toasting. Dickens has a way with description.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #43
nigel p bird
Banned
nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nigel p bird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I can't claim to be an expert. I've only read three of his novels and the rest is what I know from films and adaptations for TV.

From the reading point of view, I'd pick Hard Times as my favourite.
nigel p bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #44
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
Without a doubt for me this book still comes to mind every now and again. It left a very strong impression on me.
It left a strong impression on me (Tale of Two Cities that is). An impression of wanting to run a drill through my eyeballs before ever trying to read another Dickens novel .
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #45
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Also here is their list of 100 best novels since 1923. I haven't read many of these... could turn it into a 2013 reading challenge!
Interesting, I've read a whopping 5 of those. 2 of them I feel scarred my youth irreparably. Of those 2, one of those is probably the book that would be my number one most hated book I've ever read . 2 of the other 3 I found ok, but I'm not necessarily in a huge hurry to go out and read them again, while 1 (the Tolkien series) I do actually enjoy. Not sure I've even heard of a good chunk of the books.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote