Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
4estvu
4estvu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle 3 out of range wifi setup

Can I setup a wifi connection without being in range of the router so that it can be used when in range?

I am trying to set up wifi access on my Dad's kindle 3 wifi only, I can't be at his place and he has big fingers, not so good close up vision and mentally blocks on all things tech.

It would be great if I could just setup everything for him and have him be able to use his kindle wirelessly on his home network. Is is possible?
4estvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I believe that there is an option to add a network that you can't see, but I have no idea if that will work for your Dad's network. It is mainly for use on networks that don't have a broadcasted SSID.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't have my Kindle in hand to see if the hidden network setup would work (I'd think it should), but just in case as an workaround, you could temporarily configure your own wifi net with the same name and security as your Dad's, connect the Kindle, then set your network back as it was.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
4estvu
4estvu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I talked to kindle customer service and they said I had to be in range to set up. I suggested they change that in the future.

ApK- Very clever! Thanks.
4estvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4estvu View Post
I talked to kindle customer service and they said I had to be in range to set up. I suggested they change that in the future.

ApK- Very clever! Thanks.
You only need to set it up once; it will remember the settings and connect when you are in range again (unless you delete it for some reason).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert