Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 AM   #31
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
kurt, not even the gawk: EOF error that gdxf got? Doesn't matter, autocrapping will be redone in 2.6.

I think the path I'm going to take in 2.6 with the halfs-of-a-page bullshit is to just stop using the reader's landscape mode. I'll cut up the image like I do with quarters-of-a-page. No confusion, no lengthy explanations, no more posts. You'll also be able to set the overlap amount. Not sure why I didn't do this before.

astra, there's no gui, just better windows integration.

jimmy, the warning doesn't matter. if you tried processing a large file, the step just takes time. also, you have to click ok.

Last edited by alex_d; 04-24-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:29 AM   #32
gdxf
Enthusiast
gdxf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
alex, thanks, that's wonderful news! I like the idea of the halfs of a page more than the landscape mode. I am also looking forward to an enhanced batch processing capability.
Advert
Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #33
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
astra, there's no gui, just better windows integration.
Ah. Stupid me. Why did I think that the main improvment of the new version was GUI??? sorry about it
Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #34
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
PDFRead 1.6 has been released. Please see the linked thread for details on the changes in this release.

alex_d, you might want to take a look at integrating the new cropping functionality I've added. If you want, I can package it up for you using py2exe (or even write some C code which works on PBMs) which you can then use in RasterFarian.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #35
Jary
Jary began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
alex_d, I have a question for you.

I have a book in .PDF, and I had troubles with croping, meaning I had a top margin on my reader, but not in the .PDF file. I downloaded Acrobat Prof as you adviced me, but I don't know if I have to top margin before use RasterFarian or... ? And the margins happens after RasterFarian, which adds it. So I don't understand how to remove my top margin.

Also, on my reader, it is still a little small, the = and - sign looks similar, and small pics from the books looks awfull.

Is there anything I can do with RasterFarian ? I use laster version, I tried advanced mode and tweaked everything, couldn't get it better.

Thank you
Advert
Old 04-29-2007, 12:47 AM   #36
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
I installed the 2.5.1 beta, it seemed to install without any issues, but I'm not seeing a listing in the context box for PDFs. I noticed in the file properties that it does have some sort of association with rasterfarian and PDFs. I forget how to get to the properties for the context listings, or I'd check it.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #37
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
alex_d, I have to say, hats off to you. After trying many other forms of PDF to LRF optimization tools, yours by far has the best results, especially since 2.5 (all the previous versions gave me headaches with full processing).

Keep up the good work!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #38
DrSiddons
A Seasoned User
DrSiddons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 500
converting journal articles

I've just tried your latest version of RasterFarian. In a word - Great!

I'm interested in converting journal articles (pdf files) so that I can enlarge them enough to make them readable (my old eyes need large fonts). When I enlarge the image the right side of the page is off screen.

What can I do to keep the image screen sized with large fonts?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Siddons
Old 05-04-2007, 03:59 AM   #39
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
drsiddons, please don't use the Size button to resize. You can only use one of the page-splitting modes.

bitgod, you probably don't have adobe reader installed. but since you're asking how to set it up manually, it's easy. Folder Options > File Types > PDF > Advanced > New.. and use this command: "C:\Program Files\RasterFarian\\PDFrasterFarian.cmd" "%1" "%1". (the strange thing is when you do have Adobe Reader installed, this method doesn't work. In fact, the windows registry is pretty poorly designed on this issue and I don't know how to add a context menu that'll work no matter what program you've got installed.)

Jary, congrats on doing manual cropping. To get rid of any margins your page has to be exactly 4:3. Margins appear when it isn't (and i know, they ought to show up at the bottom not the top). Also, have you played around with the different page-splitting modes?
Old 05-06-2007, 04:01 AM   #40
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
I have Adobe reader 8.0 installed. Just tried doing it from the programs menu, got an error that PDF library expired. Why do I always start these things when I should be going to bed? I'll try a full uninstall and reinstall tomorrow, see how that goes.

errr...what I said about working on this before going to bed... It worked, I wasn't paying attention to the DOS box when I typed the above stuff. So if it works through Programs, then that's fine and dandy.

Last edited by Bitgod; 05-06-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #41
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzou
I tried it, and after running, showed "...expired, please contact ...@pdf-tools.com"?
and nothing converted out...
That's exactly what I see:

Evaluation period expired. please contact pdfsup...@pdftools.com
Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #42
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Trouble Converting Camera User Guide using RasterFarian 2.5.1

I downloaded a userguide for my Canon POWERSHOT S2IS:
http://alpha02u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900 - then PRODUCT/SOFTWARE MANUALS button, then "PSS2ISCUG-EN.pdf"

I want to have the user guide on my Sony reader for use away from home. I don't have a PDA or notebook. Great use for reader, I think.

I fixed the security limitation (I think this is a very clear case of Fair Use). When I try to use RASTERFARIAN 2.5.1 (Win XP, SP2), all I get is the word "COPY" (No user guide images). I would not mind getting the word COPY diagonally across the page as long as I got the user guide with it. Getting the manual without the word copy would be nice though.

The user guide does convert OK with COPY across the pages using PDFread. I would like to use RasterFarian too.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #43
Grothendieck
Grothendieck began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e-Reader
Amazing job. Is there any way people can give you a few dollars to thank you for your work ? By paypal or something ?
While I'm here, is there anyway of automating the conversion (all on the same settings) of tens or hundreds of pdfs so I can leave it running overnight ? I have lots of short documents I want to do in one go, but once I queue more than say 10 it all goes haywire (not surprisingly).
Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #44
Grothendieck
Grothendieck began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e-Reader
PS

PS Often, after apparently successfully converting, the .lrf file does not appear, but an error file lrs2lrf.log instead, saying something along the lines of the one below. Is the \\ the error ? Why does it only happen sometimes and not others ?

Input File Name : C:\Program Files\RasterFarian\\temp\temp.lrs
Output File Name : C:\Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\Papers\Book.lrf
ファイルの整合性をチェックします
整合性のチェック完了
[Warning ] Publisherの文字列が長すぎて、表示しきれない場合があります。
書誌情報ファイルの整合性をチェックします
書誌情報ファイルの整合性チェック完了
[Error ] Can not find object. [line: 40]
[Error ] Can not find object. [line: 40]
[Error ] TOCの指定が異常です。 [line: 40]
ファイルが正しくありません
強制終了
次のファイルを削除します。:: C:\Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\Papers\Book.lrf
Old 05-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #45
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"Error in line 40, TOC destination is invalid."
Check the TOC entries in LRS, the destination objid should point to a TextBlock or ImageBlock.
Closed Thread