Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #361
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
This is the best I could get - unfortunately the camera is not good enough so I could not get adequate sharpness for the Max2. But it does suggest the blocky inferno of the untreated MaxCarta (which is in fact more - if you have good eyes). And, although not having achieved the reliability of a fully attentive Galileo's saggiatore, the picture may give a good idea of the differences.

The Max2 looks a bit washed out, but it may be a defect of my camera. The MaxCarta looks more contrasted, but those blocks can get very disturbing - the Max2 softens the rendering enough.
The renderings themselves, on the logical side, are possibly identical.
I have Max2 for a few days. At first I was disappointed that the screen is a bit grayish and so the contrast is not that high. I thought about returning but after using it a few days I cannot see any problem. I can read it in normal room conditions without any tiredness - it's not too dark, it's like reading a cheap daily newspaper. Actually in the summer it will be an advantage when I take it outdoors to read in the sunshine
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #362
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
This is the best I could get - unfortunately the camera is not good enough so I could not get adequate sharpness for the Max2. But it does suggest the blocky inferno of the untreated MaxCarta (which is in fact more - if you have good eyes). And, although not having achieved the reliability of a fully attentive Galileo's saggiatore, the picture may give a good idea of the differences.

The Max2 looks a bit washed out, but it may be a defect of my camera. The MaxCarta looks more contrasted, but those blocks can get very disturbing - the Max2 softens the rendering enough.
The renderings themselves, on the logical side, are possibly identical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
I have Max2 for a few days. At first I was disappointed that the screen is a bit grayish and so the contrast is not that high. I thought about returning but after using it a few days I cannot see any problem. I can read it in normal room conditions without any tiredness - it's not too dark, it's like reading a cheap daily newspaper. Actually in the summer it will be an advantage when I take it outdoors to read in the sunshine
Recently, I've compared the screen of recent e-reader with a high definition screen and touch screen with my M92 screen, maybe one of this https://www.decitre.fr/ebook/liseuses, I suppose that it's the 'Touch HD'.

The M92 is yellowish and the resolution of the M92 is worst than the new device but has a better contrast. If the screen is yellowish for the M92, the reading is more pleasant with the other device (due to high definition) even with the touch screen that give it a 'washed' aspect.

A comparison between M92 and Max2pro will be interesting.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #363
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
A little request to the people who already have a Max2 and night be more likely to see my question here than in the separate thread: can anybody confirm whether or not the new devices support screen cast via preferably miracast, but alternatively also chromecast? This could be very useful in a classroom context for presenting and drawing in the tablet and the results being projected to a miracast dongle connected to a projector (or maybe directly to a miracast enabled TV in a corporate environment).
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:52 AM   #364
danielteleman
danielteleman began at the beginning.

Device: remarkable
Just finished reading the whole thread, that was brilliant.

So, I am a bit torn between the Max Carta and the Max 2 - as the speed & capabilites of the Max 2 are amazing. I own a Remarkable but the screen is too gray for reading, which is my main use. I see from the videos ( both from boxxter and goodereader that the MaxCarta screen is whiter than the Max 2) but Booxtor says its hard to spot the difference with the bare eyes. Have any of you guys seen the two togheter? is the Max Carta "usable" ( a girl in the forum.tabletpcreview is having a lot of problems)?
danielteleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 AM   #365
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielteleman View Post
Just finished reading the whole thread, that was brilliant.

So, I am a bit torn between the Max Carta and the Max 2 - as the speed & capabilites of the Max 2 are amazing. I own a Remarkable but the screen is too gray for reading, which is my main use. I see from the videos ( both from boxxter and goodereader that the MaxCarta screen is whiter than the Max 2) but Booxtor says its hard to spot the difference with the bare eyes. Have any of you guys seen the two togheter? is the Max Carta "usable" ( a girl in the forum.tabletpcreview is having a lot of problems)?
Higher speed of Max2 is totaly dedicated for runing Android 6, why don't you buy a tablet with 8 core processors?
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:27 AM   #366
danielteleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lems1995 View Post
Higher speed of Max2 is totaly dedicated for runing Android 6, why don't you buy a tablet with 8 core processors?
i'm sorry, i dont understand your question, perhaps my wording was confusing, so let me rephrase it.

My questions is for the posters in this thread focused on "reading"(whiter background, etc.): Are you getting the Carta or the Max 2?

Cheers
Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #367
onyxuser
onyxuser began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Carta
Quote:
i'm sorry, i dont understand your question, perhaps my wording was confusing, so let me rephrase it.

My questions is for the posters in this thread focused on "reading"(whiter background, etc.): Are you getting the Carta or the Max 2?

Cheers
I think that Max Carta is better for reading than Max2. I myself was choosing between Max Carta and Max2 and have preferred Max Carta. The most important argument for me was a white and contrast screen. Second argument was absence of SD card reader in Max2.
onyxuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #368
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:

Cheers
I have Max Carta, N96ML, C67ML from OB, PRS-T2/T3 from Sony, le best reader devices are made by Sony so far!, the main issue of OB Reader isn't speed of proc,but its sofware never polished.
Android is well to suited for tablet and LCD screen not for E-ink screen and then for reader devices,
So the i'am satisfied from harcware of Max Carta, it has very well screen, but lacks polished software, that's too bad.
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #369
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Higher speed of Max2 is totaly dedicated for runing Android 6
False. The speed difference, hence the user experience, is immense the way I use the tablet. The way you use it is not the only way.

Quote:
why don't you buy a tablet with 8 core processors?
Really you want people to reply "because it will not work properly outdoors"?
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #370
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I own a Remarkable but the screen is too gray for reading,
Is it still the 2200x1650 13.3''?
If so, I find it difficult to believe that the difference can be dramatic - they will employ the same.

On the Max2 you will perceive the effect of the filtering layer - the capacitive touchscreen - above the display: in some cases (e.g. mine) it is the lifesaver because otherwise the ~210dpi of the actual display makes it too blocky; on other cases (many other users here, see Onyxuser just above) they suffer the slightly reduced contrast. Myself, I perceive that reduction as slight - and I am overly glad to have that extra layer, because of the function and because of the filter.

Quote:
For "reading" it seems you mean "legibility": do not forget, as I wrote, that you have on the one hand more contrast but more jaggedness and on the other hand somehow less contrast but also softer rendering.
If your eye is keen on detail, that softening is important. (Also since, idle note, to correct the absolute contrast you may increase the environmental light, while the correction of the rendering perception is more difficult.)
Below the extra layers, the display from E-Ink does not change.

Staying on your specific case: I find it hard to believe that there can be a revolution between the screen finishing employed by Onyx and that employed by Remarkable.

Last edited by mdp; 01-22-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #371
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Have any of you guys seen the two togheter?
The picture I posted a few threads ago, even though a small clip (the crop around 'Library of Congress') taken with non professional equipment, is representative.

The pictures were taken at the same time of the day, without luminance variances (= "not cloudy and windy"), at a window, from fixed positions. They are untreated in post-production.
The only (or main) issue with them is the bad focus of the camera.

If you want, I can try and take better ones.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #372
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
is the Max Carta "usable" ( a girl in the forum.tabletpcreview is having a lot of problems)?
Maybe you should be more specific.
In another post I called it "frustrating", owing to the snail processor having to deal with 3.6 megapixels - and also owing to the pen-only touchscreen, which is impractical it compared to the standard, finger-accepting capacitive touchscreen of (e.g.) the Max2.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #373
danielteleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxuser View Post
I think that Max Carta is better for reading than Max2. I myself was choosing between Max Carta and Max2 and have preferred Max Carta. The most important argument for me was a white and contrast screen. Second argument was absence of SD card reader in Max2.
Thanks, thats the kind of answer i was looking for.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #374
danielteleman

Quote:
I have Max Carta, N96ML, C67ML from OB, PRS-T2/T3 from Sony, le best reader devices are made by Sony so far!, the main issue of OB Reader isn't speed of proc,but its sofware never polished.
Android is well to suited for tablet and LCD screen not for E-ink screen and then for reader devices,
So the i'am satisfied from harcware of Max Carta, it has very well screen, but lacks polished software, that's too bad.
Thanks, i can live with unpolished software, since the main think im gonna do on it is reading.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #375
danielteleman

Quote:
Is it still the 2200x1650 13.3''?
If so, I find it difficult to believe that the difference can be dramatic - they will employ the same.

On the Max2 you will perceive the effect of the filtering layer - the capacitive touchscreen - above the display: in some cases (e.g. mine) it is the lifesaver because otherwise the ~210dpi of the actual display makes it too blocky; on other cases (many other users here, see Onyxuser just above) they suffer the slightly reduced contrast. Myself, I perceive that reduction as slight - and I am overly glad to have that extra layer, because of the function and because of the filter.

For "reading" it seems you mean "legibility": do not forget, as I wrote, that you have on the one hand more contrast but more jaggedness and on the other hand somehow less contrast but also softer rendering.
If your eye is keen on detail, that softening is important. (Also since, idle note, to correct the absolute contrast you may increase the environmental light, while the correction of the rendering perception is more difficult.)
Below the extra layers, the display from E-Ink does not change.

Staying on your specific case: I find it hard to believe that there can be a revolution between the screen finishing employed by Onyx and that employed by Remarkable.
Thanks for your detailed responses, not going to quote all of them but ill try to answer most of the questions.

The Remarkable has a smaller screen, 1872x1404 resolution (226 DPI). Its plenty enough - though i suppose we will see higher dpi as the technology progresses, but the problem is the grayness of the background, it really makes it hard to read, letters dont pop out of the screen. Paper is awesome in that combines high contrast (white whites and black blacks) without brightness. what im looking for is that white/black constrast... and judging from the videos the Max Carta is the whitiest of all, but sometimes cameras give you the wrong idea, hence my question - to people who have seen them in person - wheter its worthy losing the cores and the touch screen for the legibillity.

Im not conversant with the technology but if you see the video comparison between the Sony and Remarkable, while using the same technology (Carta, which is, i believe also the Onyx´s) the Sony is not only whiter to the camera lense, its also whiter to the reviewers. Have the people of Remarkable added another layer for those write/sketch capabilities? i dont know but the end result is - for my personal case which, is almost excluvisely "reading" - really poor, even outdoors in sunny days it isnt "easy on the eyes"

Again, in my personal taste, contrast is more important for reading than smoothness/definition, my mind can re-construct the details so to speak, since we only use 28 characters over and over, what i need is for them to pop out of the "white snow" so my brain can register them without effort.

Regarding usability, yes, mainly i was asking about speed, etc, in other words, wheter you can navigate folders with some flow, etc. But again, i can live with some trades off, what really matters is "readibility"

Last edited by danielteleman; 01-22-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Spelling