Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #46
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Yes, good idea, and a great review, fantasyfan.
Thank you Bookpossum!

I've noticed that a number of those books by Woolson are short story collections and they might be worth dipping into as well.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:02 AM   #47
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I've finished it, too - I found the writing absolutely beautiful but the "faction" aspect that fantasy fan underlines did disorient me.

As usual, I did no research whatsoever before starting this novel, so I could only presume that a lot of what the Henry James does and writes is based on Toibin’s own research, perusal of correspondence, and so on.

But when it comes to James' inner life, well all those little details (Hammond;s hand on James shoulder, the glances, the silences) must be what Toibin thinks make who James really was. I wondered also how much of Toibin’s himself is in the book: does he also borrow heavily from those around him to create his story? Does he also savour the peace of the morning, does he long for work, or is he overcome by darkness at the end of a novel like Constance? The mix of fiction and fact, a writer interpreting another writer did disorient me, and at times I lost touch with the novel itself, as when watching a movie or play in which the identity of the famous superstar actor does not allow you to suspend belief and fall into the plot.

One more point is that after finishing the book, I have read several reviews, including the links in this thread, but also for instance the one in the London Review of Books - most reviewers put homosexuality (mostly James’ undeclared one) centre stage, often relating it to that of Toibin’s himself - this seem to occupy a disproportionate share of the reviews. Of course sexuality is part of being human, and Toibin depicts James’ sexuality as complex as anyone’s - but that is about it, and turning this as the main theme of the book is to me thoroughly unfair, detracting from the many layers of this beautiful book.

Thanks for selecting it!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote