Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which of these books are your picks for the June 2014 MobileRead Book Club selection?
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha-Mukherjee 7 15.91%
Hyperion by Dan Simmons 17 38.64%
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt 9 20.45%
Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden 9 20.45%
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein 13 29.55%
The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss 10 22.73%
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga 7 15.91%
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes 9 20.45%
The Manual of Detection by Jedidiah Berry 8 18.18%
Saville by David Storey 4 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 AM   #16
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Cool

I'm a gal who really likes Barnes and recently read The Sense of an Ending and liked it too, so wouldn't have minded that. Three of the other nominees are on my Kobo in my TBR list, and by great luck the winner is available right now as an ebook in my local library. I wouldn't have minded buying The Goldfinch either. I like some sci-fi, so could also buy Hyperion if I like it well enough.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea2 View Post
I'm a gal who really likes Barnes and recently read The Sense of an Ending and liked it too, so wouldn't have minded that. Three of the other nominees are on my Kobo in my TBR list, and by great luck the winner is available right now as an ebook in my local library. I wouldn't have minded buying The Goldfinch either. I like some sci-fi, so could also buy Hyperion if I like it well enough.
I hope you like it. There are 3 sequels, all brilliant.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Where is everyone for the July Nominations? I've already submitted my three recommendations. I don't care which of my recommendations you choose ( ), but it's getting rather lonely in there.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Where is everyone for the July Nominations? I've already submitted my three recommendations. I don't care which of my recommendations you choose ( ), but it's getting rather lonely in there.
I'm having trouble finding a non-fiction book that I'll have time to finish and that would have a chance to win.

I o have one in mind though that I'll put up for a nod tomorrow if I have the time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm having trouble finding a non-fiction book that I'll have time to finish and that would have a chance to win.

I o have one in mind though that I'll put up for a nod tomorrow if I have the time.
Looking forward to it. I imagine you can come up with some interesting choices.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Looking forward to it. I imagine you can come up with some interesting choices.
I do think this one is very interesting choice. And with 40% off at Kobo, it can be had for a reasonable price.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #22
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Okay, this may sound weird, but it's summer. For some reason I have difficultly getting excited about nonfiction in the summer. The sun, the heat and vacations are just conducive to big fat novel reading!
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote