Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #691
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareK View Post
I have just found the information I was looking for - the short story is "Exit" by Harry Farjeon, in case anyone else is interested.
Excellent. "Never mind. I found it!" is far too prevalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly7 View Post
If anyone could help that would be good, as I first read this book when I was 12/13 and its been bugging me for around severn years now.
Does that mean that you're 20 now? You immediately forgot and it's been bugging you ever since? I ask because framing the time might help in debugging you.

I managed to make it through without any parrot jokes. I deserve a cracker.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #692
Sagan6
Sagan6 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help finding a title of a short story.

I read a short story about 18 years ago and I can not remember the title of the story. It was about an exploratory expedition on another planet. The were collecting species for study and came across a large wolf like creature with 6 legs. The creature was sentient and a lot of the narrative was through its eyes. After it seen the humans it commented on the usefulness of their hands. I think that it has control over its form or DNA because it was gonna make its inside limbs handlike. I have searched everywhere and can not find it again. Please help me.
Sagan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #693
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Lost in caves... creepy story..

I'm looking for the title & author of a short story where the hero loses his way while visiting some caves and works himself into a state of panic and despair because he can picture himself dying of hunger in those caves. Presumably he was staying at a hotel or such and didn't tell anyone where he was going. The guy must have been mentally unstable to begin with.. because after walking for hours and hours in those caves looking for an exit, he eventually sees the light at the end of a gallery.. So he runs towards the exit, but then as he sees the light becoming larger and larger he has some kind of a hallucination and starts to think that it is in fact a large rock or translucent fireball rushing at him down the gallery. And so he turns around and runs back into the caves trying to get away from the huge rock that he thinks is going to crush him.

I might be wrong about that but I have a vague feeling I read it in one of the romance languages, possibly French.. (?)

Any ideas..?

Last edited by Chris Jones; 10-01-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typos...
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #694
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Seeking an old book -- only foggy memory

Here is a challenge for you:
I'm trying to find a title I read in the mid-nineties. But I got it at a book-swap and don't know when it was published. Probably no earlier than the 1970's. I don't know the author's name, but I'm quite sure the author was female. I don't remember the names of any of the characters either.

This novel took place in the Southern U.S. in the early twentieth century (or was it late nineteenth? Long dresses.). The protaganist was a young woman age 16/18 who was orphaned and nearly penniless, and turned the family home into a boarding house. She gets involved in all kinds of problems with her eccentric boarders and hired help (not "staff" and not "old family retainers"). One of the boarders was an elderly man being "warehoused" by his unloving family, who was discovered to be very wealthy and wished to use that wealth to help his young landlady, much to the family's dismay. There were, of course, two young men competing for the girl's interest. I *think* I remember that one was a poor young doctor, and the other was a wealthy southern "aristocrat".

I remember being very amused by this book. It was NOT a period romance novel, the focus was on her ludicrous misadventures.

Well, I hope that was all vague enough to do the job. I'll be back online on Monday. Maybe one of you good folks will have good news for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 09-29-2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: clarification of location, add some details
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #695
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
One question: you say the novel was set in the "the south". The south of what? Where I live, "the south" means England. But maybe you mean the southern US states, or the south of Europe? It would help to know which.

I don't recognise the book from your description. But, if you do mean the southern US, then it sounds like it might be by Edna Ferber. I can't point you to any particular story, but it does seem to be her style.

In any case, I hope you manage to find it.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #696
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Nope, not Ferber, sorry to say (I am a BIG Ferber fan.)
I *think* this book was written no earlier than the late 1970's.

You are right about the "South", that was a tad presumptuous to assume readers would know I meant US. I will amend the first post, thanks.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #697
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
What was the name of the Ray Bradbury short story with the same premise as the new movie Gravity: two(?) astronauts stranded in space with nothing but their spacesuits.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #698
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
What was the name of the Ray Bradbury short story with the same premise as the new movie Gravity: two(?) astronauts stranded in space with nothing but their spacesuits.
"Kaleidoscope"?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #699
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
That's it! Thanks, I wasn't at home to checks my books.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #700
yearning
yearning began at the beginning.

forgot the title!

I read a novel about the russian revolution around 5 years back. i really liked it. i would love to read it again but i have forgotten the title. i have the broad contours of the story in my mind. i will tell those and hope that somebody can come up with the title.

it is about a british military/intelligence officer in india who is deputed to russia and sees the whole revolution unfold before his eyes.

i would really appreciate if someone could help, thanks!
yearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #701
svaggly
svaggly began at the beginning.

Ok so I've got two unidentified books,

the first is about two girls, one girl in modern times whose parents are archaeologists and discover the skeletons of these "missing link" neanderthals, the other pov which runs parallel is from one of these "missing link" neanderthals who is also a little girl, and its super cool how their communication is described (because they don't have spoken language or anything)

the other im still not sure even exists, it might be a novel or a short story or a movie or maybe i just dreamed the whole thing!

But basically, its about this teen girl who is (maybe?) and orphan and lives in this huge manor house thing with an estranged male relative who is really mysterious and generally regarded as a horrible person, I think its kind of hinted that he is a vampire, or people think he is (and in fact he isnt?) but the girl has some weird beauty and the beaast connection with him, but she isnt allowed to leave the house, but her parents deaths are really weird and she wants to investigate them and i think she finds out she has a grandmother alive still maybe. anyway i think there is some hint of romance between the evil guy and her, and its definately set sometime post 40s because they have cars. I know it ssounds kinda like dark shadows/beautiful creatures but its a lot less overt with the fantasy elements, theyre kinda more abstract.

WOULD SO APPRECIATE IF ANYONE RECOGNISES THESE!
svaggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #702
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by svaggly View Post
Ok so I've got two unidentified books,

the first is about two girls, one girl in modern times whose parents are archaeologists and discover the skeletons of these "missing link" neanderthals, the other pov which runs parallel is from one of these "missing link" neanderthals who is also a little girl, and its super cool how their communication is described (because they don't have spoken language or anything)
This sounds somewhat like Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear. It was a Hugo Award nominee and a Nebula Award winner in 2000(?). It has the neanderthal and modern POVs (mostly the modern) and the anthropologists, but the story is not about two girls. I would not be surprised to hear that the second book (Darwin's Children) has POVs from the girls perspective but I have not read it. Here is the blurb from Amazon for the first:
Quote:
“Virus hunter” Christopher Dicken is a man on a mission, following a trail of rumors, government cover-ups, and dead bodies around the globe in search of a mysterious disease that strikes only pregnant women and invariably results in miscarriage. But when Dicken finds what he’s looking for, the answer proves to be stranger—and far deadlier—than he ever could have imagined. Something that has slept in human DNA for millions of years is waking up.

Molecular biologist Kaye Lang has spent her career tracing ancient retroviruses in the human genome. She believes these microscopic fossils can come to life again. But when Dicken’s discovery becomes public, Lang’s theory suddenly turns to chilling fact. As the outbreak of this terrifying disease threatens to become a deadly epidemic, Dicken and Lang must race against time to assemble the pieces of a puzzle only they are equipped to solve—an evolutionary puzzle that will determine the future of the human race . . . if a future exists at all.
Even if this isn't the book you were thinking of, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #703
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Two nights ago I finished New Year Island, which was a great read. Normally I'm not one to guess who the bad guy is but this book kept me guessing.

I'm now half way through The Anonymous Venetian, third book in the Commissario Brunetti series, my favourite cozy series at the moment. I love it how the mystery at times is less important than than Venice, its citizens, food and Guido's family. It reminds me a bit f Midsomer Murder (the tv series at least).
Wrong thread?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #704
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Looking for a story

"There was a wandering Chinese named Chang Wan…and a girl named Shirley."

I guess most people in here will recognize the above line. It comes from the film 'Out of Africa' and purports to be the first line of a story told by Karen Blixen for Denys Finch Hatton and Barclay Cole. As a reward, Finch Hatton - according to the film - gave Blixen a pen with the instructions to 'write them down', 'them' being the stories she told.

I wonder if anyone who has read more of Karen Blixen's work than I have knows whether she ever wrote down this particular story and, if she did, give me a lead to finding it. English or Danish will do. I'm fluent in Swedish and can cope with written Danish.

TIA

PS to the moderators: Can't offhand think of a better forum for this question.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #705
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The post above has been moved out of the General Discussion Forum and moved to the correct forum and to the correct thread.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-27-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths